1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching in Phuket

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by teacher86, 14 May 2014.

1. teacher86

teacher86 Thread Starter New Member

I am starting my 5th year of full-time teaching in Thailand. I teach Math at a well-known bilingual school in Bangkok. For future reference, can anyone recommend reputable schools in Phuket that regularly hire foreign teachers. I have an advanced degree, but I don't have a teaching certificate. Unfortunately, this usually closes the door at international schools.

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

not necessarily, but it would certainly help if you did have the teaching cert.

Crew could... in the meantime, I'll throw one out there - QSI Phuket

3. crew

crew Faber College Member

i'm happy to recommend a few:

darasamuth
    satrii phuket
    dowroong
    konjonkiet
    ban mai reab
    ELT
    prince of songkhla university
    rajhabhat university

substitute 'appropriately' for 'unfortunately', and i'm right there with you. parents pay big bucks for real international schools;they should get fully qualified teachers for that kind of dosh.

QSI is the only int'l school on phuket that runs on american curriculum. pretty sure they prefer qualified teachers.

4. teacher86

teacher86 Thread Starter New Member

I have a Master's Degree in Engineering. I have been teaching Math to Yr 12 students for the past four years. I've received excellent reviews from my present employer - the biggest bilingual school in Thailand. Wouldn't you think I'm qualified?

BTW - Thanks for the recommendations.

5. crew

crew Faber College Member

no worries.
    i was referring to proper qualifications like QTS, or a gov-issued license/certificate to teach.
    with quals/experience like that, you can afford to be picky about the job offers you accept. if you really want to break into the int'l school scene, perhaps a PGCEi would be worth a look.

teacher86 likes this.
  6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

International Schools often want their teachers to have a B. Ed, M.Ed, BA/ MA + PGCE, years of experience in the home country and as such licensed.