1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teaching diploma. St Theresa international university

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by thaicbr, 15 Jan 2015.

1. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes, you never know quite where you stand with any government department. I know a teacher on 7 waivers who has never shown any intention of qualifying. I went to Khrusapa for my third waiver and I was very clearly and firmly told that it was my last one. I signed up for the DipEd pretty soon afterwards I managed to get a fourth waiver on the basis of having completed the course. There are people who have just signed up for the course to get the waiver, as they need another waiver but didn't have any plans to teach in Thailand in the future.

2. Nab88

Nab88 New Member

Thanks very much for this very clear information!

Can you just clarify this part? To get that licence with St Roberts... what is meant by signing off the class observation and component?

My current school has to approve St Robert's classes, is that it?

3. Hey_ewe

You submit a teaching portfolio, which counts for 6 units. Along with lesson plans, a curriculum and a few other miscellaneous bits of paper, you must include an assessment of your teaching signed by your head of department or similar senior Thai teacher. We do this annually at our school anyway so I just gathered together the required documents and EMS'd them to St Roberts. Easy Peasy!

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

P.S. Maybe she didn't really understand you? I'm not kidding, happened before and it will happen again.

That sounds very ( too) familiar to me. "The other ones" are causing huge problems for me.

Only to get an answer I've got to log into facebook and hope to get an answer. All e-mails stay unanswered, etc...

My biggest mistake was to pay all fees at the end of the course. Be careful out there, they're out there to get you.

I wish I'd have known that before. Never pay them before they do what they've promised to.

And if they didn't even check your grades from the first term yet after completing the whole course last year, then you know there's something absolutely wrong.

The problem with mistakes. You only know that you've made one when it's too late.

5. Hey_ewe

The best way to get hold of St Roberts, is to contact Grace Galindez via Facebook, you'll find her in the St Roberts Facebook group. They aren't too good at normal emails for some reason. I normally get a reply within minutes on Facebook and they are always very helpful.

Just to clarify, we are talking about St Roberts NOT St Theresa's who are a totally different organisation and the subject of this thread.

sirchai likes this.
  6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

oh when the saints, (oh when the saints)
    oh when the saints go marching in,
    I wanna be in their number

how i miss going to watch football

Hey_ewe likes this.
  7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

My apologies, but that doesn't sound quite right when e-mails aren't answered and you've got to count on a woman's mercy to give you a very important answer to your more important question.

That's neither very professional nor well organized. The smell of fresh money seems to turn peoples' heads away to more valuable things.

And when you think about the various outstanding assignments that were accidentally posted on the open page, full with huge mistakes where an ordinary man wouldn't understand a word, it's a sort of frightening that those people will soon carry the golden colt.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  8. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

I haven't been on this site for a while and felt I had to reply to some of the points being made about St Roberts University. I am doing the teaching diploma course in Bangkok at the moment and although I am finding it quite doable I don't think it's as easy as it is being out to be in some posts. As regards some of the assignments that were posted in error on the site, yes they were terrible but we don't know what grade they will be awarded so it's all speculation that they will pass. Most courses also expect fees up front whereas St Roberts don't. If I was doing the course and received bad grades maybe I would pack it in and not pay any more money. Not knowing my grades makes me pay. I do think from the feedback I am getting from the university that everybody will pass but I also feel that some grades will be very low. Fine if all you want is a Teacher's license for a school you are already in but not too good if you are showing it to a prospective school interviewer.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  9. Hey_ewe

I'm not defending them, just offering my advice on the best way to get in touch with them.

St Roberts certainly aren't the most organised or professional college offering a post grad teaching qualification. They have been set up to provide a route to a teachers licence, for the many Filipino teachers working here in Thailand. Fortunately it's now available for the many non Filipinos, in need of a route to teaching here long term. The alternative for many, is to return home or take online courses run by universities from their home countries and there aren't many available.

The university of Nottingham PGCEi sounds like a very well run course but its quite a lot more expensive. If St Roberts gets me my teachers licence I will be very happy as it was an enjoyable course, close to home, not too strenuous and affordable. I personally didn't find the course too demanding but then I have an 'A' level in psychology and took a few psychology modules at uni.

I personally found that things were quite disorganised e.g. reading material needed before the face to face sessions not uploaded. But I did find Grace and Vladimir to be very polite and helpful, so if you have any issues try speaking to them.

qwerty, mike123_ca and sirchai like this.