1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teaching diploma. St Theresa international university

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by thaicbr, 15 Jan 2015.

1. UniTEFL Guy

UniTEFL Guy Member

For the record, Khurusapa or the MoE do no 'accredit' this or any course. We have met with them several times about some sort of endorsement and they are very coy about this. There are literally hundreds of 'diplomas' in teaching worldwide, as it was explained to us, so they cannot take a formal position on endorsing anything, other than to maintain their records on which universities around the world are legitimate and therefore have acceptable degrees or diplomas. As we all know, everything is a moving target with the officials. Also, to accredit something they would need to have a team to inspect the activities, which is why they also do not 'approve' or 'accredit' TEFL courses.

In the case of the New Era diploma UniTEFL facilitates, it comprises of 24 credits issued as part of a masters degree program from a CHED approved university, and being part of ASEAN that is good enough for khurusapa. I cannot comment on the others offered by Philippine universities, other than to check the status of the institution and the link between the diploma and a degree course. I recall, several years ago, a diploma from a Thailand university was at first accepted by Khurusapa then later rejected due to irregularities in the academic legitimacy of the faculty running it.

portnoy58 likes this.
  2. thaicbr

thaicbr Thread Starter New Member

It's a Thai university so of course it's accredited by the MOE. Also it's listed on the Khurusapha website as the ONLY teaching diploma currently available in English from an accredited Thai university. We know you're selling the unitefl course but it's unprofessional to discredit other similar (cheaper) courses.

sirchai likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The accreditation is in regards to the institution not the course, afaik

where did he do that?

Stamp likes this.
  4. thaicbr

thaicbr Thread Starter New Member

If you don't see it in his post then fair enough!
    As far as I'm aware there are two parts to accreditation in Thailand, firstly a general university accreditation and then each course has to meet criteria to be accredited. This is what St Theresa's have done.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

I was just interested to see where you thought he was discrediting, no offense intended.

thaicbr likes this.
  6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine went to Khrusapa in Bangkok for a waiver yesterday and was handed a flyer for St Theresa International College describing the 1.5 year 'Diploma in Teaching Profession' as accredited by Khrusapa. It would seem that they are pushing this one, presumably for a kickback of some sort!

7. Yannick

Yannick New Member

Anybody has graduated from there and got the full teacher licence?

8. Nab88

Nab88 New Member

Hi guys,

Just curious about something: how long did it take to receive the certificate once graduated?

What about the teaching license application with TCT?

9. Hey_ewe

I know personally of two people who applied successfully for their teachers licence. I don't know about other members of this forum.

10. Nab88

Nab88 New Member

My colleague who attended St Theresa said that he has been waiting for his diploma since October 2016.

Still does not receive it...why?

Then he needs to apply for a full license...
    I am wondering... it's going to be more than 6 months to get it!

11. Hey_ewe

Yes, I've heard it can take a long time. I have no idea why that is, maybe something to do with Filipino bureaucracy? Maybe IFUGAO university only issues the certificates along with the other graduates once a year? As I've already said, I do know people who have received everything and have gone on to apply for their full licences. One thing I will say, is that when I needed a certificate of completion, it was done in a matter of hours. So in my experience the Bangkok office staff are quite efficient and very helpful.

I still owe them some money so I intend to use that as leverage, if it's necessary. Hopefully it won't be.

12. Nab88

Nab88 New Member

Alright,

At least you are done with it and this is the most important.

Also I did not even know that IFUGAO and St Theresa were linked...

13. Hey_ewe

They aren't linked. St Robert's is a college of IFUGAO. St Theresa's are a separate organisation that also offer the DipEd course but I think they only have classes in Bangkok.

St Robert's IFUGAO have been fine for me. It's not the best organised and you can't compare it to any higher level of study in your home country. They didn't insist on up front payment in full, which was a factor for me. Paying 5k is minimum risk and it's worth it even just to be able to get another 2 year waiver. The modules/units aren't too difficult, so it's easy to fit in around work, family and a social life.

14. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

St Theresa's College is in Nakhon Nayok (not Bangkok) and is Thai:
    1 Moo 6 Rangsit-Nakornnayok Road (Klong 14), Bungsan, Ongkarak, Nakhon Nayok 26120, Thailand

They offer 2 programs in English and are currently the only Thai program that leads directly to licensure from the TCT:

Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession - St Theresa International College
    The Dip.T WILL get you a teacher's license on graduation because it has a required 12 credits of teaching practicum. It takes 1 year to complete. 70k baht

Master of Education in Educational Administration - St Theresa International College
    The M.Ed can lead to licensure since there is a practicum component if you take the foundation program. It also requires a 12 credit thesis and takes 2-3 years to complete (depending on how efficiently you can do a research based thesis). If you do not have a previous education related credential then you also need 9 additional credits in their foundation courses. (add 1 more semester to your time commitment.)

200k baht PLUS 36k baht for the foundation course and 11,500 per semester over and above the first 4 semesters.
    6 semesters with the foundation and extra semester for thesis complete bring the bill up to:
    200k + 36k + 23k = 259k baht.
    This particular M.Ed program is Educational Administration (not pedagogy).

IF you are in Bangkok then Thammasat offers an MA TEFL at their Thaprachan Campus. The cost was about 280k and is probably still close to that *4 semesters.

St. Roberts is Filipino (not related to St. Theresa's) and it can lead to licensure but it requires your school to sign off on the class observations and practicum component (1 year of teaching).

Chula also offers an MA TEFL and the cost is about 400k. It takes 4 semesters to complete (but most students usually end up taking 5). Add 100k for the extra semester.

Any M.Ed (MA -teaching) program when coupled with a Bachelor degree and the Thai Culture Course (or its upcoming incarnation) will satisfy the 24 credit requirement of education related courses and get you a license as well (since most M.Ed degrees require 24-28 credits of coursework & comprehensive exams OR 24 credits and a research based thesis).

Last edited: 8 Mar 2017
    Stamp likes this.
  15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Bingo ! If yer waivers are becoming dodgy I suppose. :thumbs up:flim

Hey_ewe likes this.