1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCT licensing to be replaced by TPQI skills testing

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by JimB, 26 Sep 2016.

1. JimB

JimB Thread Starter Member

heads up

This Bangkok Post article (dated Sep. 24th, 2016) rambles and misses a key piece of news that will affect all foreign teachers.

New test for English teachers, students | Bangkok Post: news

The article refers to language testing, but the key development will be a skills-testing system.

The Thailand Professional Qualification Institute (TPQI) is developing an EFL-teaching skills testing system for foreign teachers, and eventually Thai EFL teachers, that will replace the TCT licensing process. The Minister of Education will announce this change near the end of November. Skills testing will involve submission of a lesson plan (may be changed to writing one under test conditions), submission of a 50 minute video of the teacher teaching and a 30-minute interview. Testing will take place at designated testing centres. Currently these unis, Mahidol, Kasesart, Chula and Payap in CM, have been mentioned.

I have a source but cannot disclose without embarrassing that source. (I understand that makes this post unsubstantiated and open to criticism and skepticism). I suggest be patient and see what news leaks out before the end of November.

I believe my information to be accurate at this time.

I don't know how this will affect current licensing, post-grad qualifications etc.

Mr. Chips and bahn_farang like this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yep I read the same and has been discussed back in May I believe ....however it is stated that the content has not been planned/written yet ....probably later than this November as you suggest ....watch this space again.

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

More hoops

4. JimB

I'm fairly sure it will be fewer hoops than the current TCT licensing system if it is implemented and a lot cheaper than a post-grad diploma or PGCE.

5. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

I taught 2 classes of English in The TPQI 2 years ago and they were setting up systems at the time to assess different professions. They were concentrating on trade skills such as Taxi, hairdressing, building, etc though. I did friend a manager on facebook so I'll see if I can get some more info.

6. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

And from whom shall we claim the amount of 60,000 Baht, (or more), that we spent to get a Degree in Education? Unless the new procedure will be open only to those who have a degree in Education.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

My 2 Baht.

I don't think a proficiency test of any kind will be the one and only requirement to obtain the TCT teacher license. I can imagine that the CEFR-T might be approved by the TCT as an equivalent of the TOEIC, TOEFL or IELTS. An English proficiency test can never be a substitute for a teaching qualification. Being proficient in a language doesn't mean you can teach it. Moreover, the TCT has done hard work to get the requirement of the education degree or equivalent amended back in 2003. Applicable to both Thai and foreign teachers. Parties, even within the MOE, have tried to get around but to no avail. I still believe that the TCT will come up, or other parties on behalf of the TCT, with a licensing course which also include the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics course. In the past there have been several articles in the newspapers pointing to that strategy. And to my humble opinion, that's not the CEFR-T we're currently discussing.

8. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Got a reply from one of the managers in TPQI.

"Dear XXXXXX, TPQI support to evaluate about english accreditation for foreign teachers licenses. So i will ask my friend about process for this and reply you this week kha".

I will update the forum when I receive more information.

9. JimB

My understanding is that the TCT will be completely removed from the foreign teacher licensing process. Government has been frustrated with them for a number of years and has wanted to introduce a more skills-based process. However, the TCT was established under a Chuan Leekpai government to be independent of government influence. The only way to change things is to bypass them altogether and pass on teacher licensing to the TPQI.

10. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

They're not serious about education, as long as it looks ok you're good to go.
    I've taught here for 15 years and i said back in 2008 that it will all come to nothing. Since my 2nd waiver i've just been on my non o. Schools love it, no hassles. You've got a family, no-one cares.
    Hello? Thailand.

11. Stamp

Would be interesting. In that case the TCT would apply to Thai teachers only.

As said, I think proficiency in English is some different than the ability to teach English.

The TCT was introduced in the National Education Act 1999. Under whose government, I don't know.

Like you I do hope that new ways will be found to produce qualified foreign teachers.

12. Stamp

Good on you, tiredtony.

In Phetchaburi/ Prachuap Khiri Khan you need a teacher license or provisional teaching permit when applying for an extension of stay based on employment in basic education schools. If you're going for an extension of stay based having a Thai spouse, you need to have 400,000 THB in your Thai bank account or an average monthly income of 40,000 THB. And yes, for the latter no teacher license or provisional teaching permit needed. However, regardless the type of extension, Labour demands a teacher license/ provisional teaching permit when applying for a work permit to work in basic education schools.

It seems that paper work is very easy in your case. Do you mind answering these questions then?
    • Do you work in a basic education school?
    • Do you have a yearly extension of stay on your non-O (spouse)?
    • Do you have a valid work permit?
    Cheers.

13. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Teaching two classes of TPQI English (Elementary and Pre-intermediate) at their headquarters 2 years ago would not instill confidence in their ability to take on this task. They were very hardworking people but their English skills were not of the standard necessary to take on the task of assessing foreign teachers. I met nobody from the MD down to office clerk who could speak at Intermediate level. Unless they are going to bring in another organization like the British Council to do the assessing and they award the accreditation this will never get off the ground.

14. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

This article is about as clear as mud. First it says that the Ministry is looking to 'weed out backpackers', and than it goes on about English proficiency which has absolutely nothing to do with weeding out backpackers, assuming that their English is decent. It ends with the statement that 'his next plan is to allow foreigners to submit their scores in the CEFR-T assessment for a teaching licence recognized by the Teachers' Council of Thailand'; which sounds to me like they're planning on handing out full licences (to backpackers) purely based on one single English proficiency test. That's not weeding out backpackers, that's more like disguising them as teachers by certifying them on the spot.

I'm not really eager to see any changes regarding the TCT; especially since I submitted my final assignment for my one year PGCEi like TODAY!!! Then again if I had wanted to live and work in a stable and organized environment I've obviously came to the wrong place. TIT

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

That was the word back in the May articles, BC to the rescue and maybe still?
    Lol and yer right ...BTW congrats on coming to a close on your PGCE ...wait for the cert and well done prof.

As to previous discussion ...will it replace the harder work of a PGCE or other postgrad course ...or an extension of what is already required? Still 50/50 as to what it will be .....keep watching this space and yep as usual "clear as mud".

professeur likes this.