1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help TCT licence waiver: # 4 ?!...

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by jackthehat, 1 Mar 2017.

1. jackthehat

jackthehat Thread Starter New Member

Hello all,

I'm a new member...

My l will be on my fourth, next time around.
    I'm not going to stay at my current school, can but won't. I am about to complete my second year at a government school in BKK. image.jpeg

I have done nothing so far to show any development. I am currently looking into doing a St Roberts IFUGAO Dip T ED.

Whiste searching for a job, I Have noticed that prospective emloyers are sometimes asking you to show your current licence status...

Is IFUGAO my easiest option?
    Any help is appreciated .

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Thailand Teaching.

I think IFUGAO is the cheapest option. However, some members have complaints about IFUGAO's academic mangement. I hope members who did the course or are currently doing it will chime in.

jackthehat likes this.
  3. jackthehat

4. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Focus on the best schools you have a realistic shot at. Hopefully they may have connections.

You're not the only one. TCT will start to have big decisions to disallow good experienced teachers in a midst of already shortage or sucking it up.

No shortage of mediocre teachers with similar work ethic. Many schools very much are in need of people that can do the work and present themselves professionally.

Salaries for better BKK schools are headed up. Teacher shortage looming for better than average schools that need better than average teachers.

For the rest, still standard bog 30-2k offered in/out of BKK

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017
    jackthehat likes this.
  5. jackthehat

Missed the boat on this. image.jpeg

6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I've done the DipEd course and enrolling for 5k is enough to get you another waiver. Once you've finished, you should be able to apply for the full 5 year licence, providing you have all the other requirements bachelors degree, culture course etc.

Stamp and jackthehat like this.
  7. muppetminder

Can you please explain what the degree precisely is? Diploma in Teacher Education? Teacher, not student? Who is offering it? Who teaches it? How long does it take to complete? Two terms -one year? Apply for five year license?

How certain enrollment will get you a fourth waiver?

Thanks

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

The Dip.Ed is like a PGCE. It is post grad (meaning you already have a bachelor degree).
    If you are enrolled (a current and valid student) then it is good for 1 more waiver.
    AFTER you have completed it, provided you meet the other criteria you then qualify for licensure as a teacher in Thailand (no more waivers needed).
    You get your 5-year, renewable, teacher's license.

jackthehat and muppetminder like this.
  9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

I am left with the overwhelming feeling that development is being done with the sole aim of gaining an ability to secure the extra waiver. This disappoints my view that teachers should be dedicated to professional development for the improvement of their pedagogy.

10. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I think the two go hand in hand. Yes, obviously most of us want to get the golden card, in order to secure our futures, however that doesn't mean that we don't also want to develop ourselves as professional teachers. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a structure as far as professional or career development goes here in Thailand. That said what do we have now is better than what we had before.

I'd say its reasonable to assume, that you are going to get a lot more out of a PGCEi in terms of professional development, as opposed to taking a DipEd or similar but there's a big difference financially and each teacher has their own set of circumstances. When the end result is working in the same government school for 35-40k, you can understand why people want to take the cheapest option.

You could argue that if you really want to develop as a teacher, then why not go home take a PGCE full time and then attain qualified teacher status and do a few more years after your NQT year to become a qualified experienced teacher but then I doubt you'd be applying for 35k TEFL jobs in Issan!! =D

Each course suits a different type of teacher. I think the DipEd is perfectly fine if you are happy to work in government school by far the majority of teachers in Thailand fall into this group. A PGCEi might get you a low to mid level international school job. A full PGCE and a few years of UK/US etc. experience would put you in a position to apply for top tier international schools. There are of course always exceptions to the rule, I know of someone who walked in to a fantastic teaching job at an international school, with no teaching credentials at all just his B.Sc. not even a TEFL. He had great subject knowledge and was able to give a great demonstration class and interview.

jackthehat and bahn_farang like this.
  11. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised that the OP didn't do anything to show that he's actually doing his job with his heart, and is not just in for the money.

That's, in my opinion, the difference between a backpacker who only wants to "make some cash" to continue traveling and somebody who's always trying to become a better teacher, being more professional, understanding more complex teaching strategies, psychological skills, etc...

There are so many other opportunities to develop your teaching skills by doing online courses offered by British Council and they're free.

You only have to pay a fee when you have finished the course when you want a certificate.

This was only an example, the internet is full with free courses and all certificates are seen as educational development.

I've got so many certificates from teaching Thai teachers, doing seminars for Thai school directors, etc.. besides the usual English camps at schools.

But in addition, I've also done a few interesting online courses where people from all around the world were involved.

It was a lot of fun and I've learned new things that are very useful for a teacher.

OP, I wouldn't bet on it that only signing up for the DipTED will be enough to satisfy the TCT if you can't show any other improvement in such a long time teaching here.

There's an interesting part of a post in another thread here, where a poster went to TCT and they told him/her that the course is "still" enough.

What the "still enough" for you and many others now really means could be a shock.

If you stay at your current school, the chances are very high that you'll get another waiver, but that's not foreseeable.

As a matter of fact, they don't like people who're always changing schools. And that's what you're planning to do, OP.

You'll completely understand my words, once you're standing in front of the "gloved guy" at the TCT when you submit your documents.

12. muppetminder

Sirchai

How do you know as fact they don't like teachers changing schools often? It would stand to reason.

The slipshod TCT policy already sketchy, extending 3-4 waivers. Il conceived policy.

Well, when teachers are paid and treated decently they will stop moving about.

The way to get teachers to stop moving about is to allow them to move at will. The better teachers will migrate to the better wages and treatment. The shitty schools will need to up their game. Wouldn't expect a Thai bureaucrat to fathom that.

jackthehat likes this.