1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck at 30,000 baht starting salary

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by mike123_ca, 12 Mar 2017.

1. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Do you pay for your visa? work permit? Have you ever been taken somewhere on the school's dime? Has the school ever done anything for you that you did not pay for? If you agree to the salary I fail to see where anyone is getting ripped off.

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Two years of not paying into the SS for three foreigners and 12 Thais who only make 6 K/month, plus not reimbursing the fees for visa and work permit because "I'm on a higher salary than my Asian colleagues" doesn't sound good to me.

I've signed a contract working max. 15 hours, but I'm actually working 22 hours, excluding the preparation time for math, science and English homework and lesson planning for two EP classes.

And that without an assistant just to keep them quiet, which seems to be the norm in an EP at other schools.

Is it not a rip off when they're telling you that they'll hire two, or three NES teachers, but finally, give you one more EP class to teach them all subjects a' three hours?

The school holiday tours were never free and they don't really know how to spell pay raise.

Isn't that "common sense" to offer more money for way more hours than in the contract?

But it's soon over and I've done all I've could. And all they did was to tell lies.

3. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

At my private school I'm at 35k, and my salary hasn't moved at all for the past 9 years. The leaving NES (or European) teachers are systematically being replaced by Philippino teachers that are on 10k less, thus giving the management the opportunity to save more money. The same seems to be happening at a local government school.

4. sirchai

Deduct 750 baht per month for the SS and around 1 K for tax and it's easy to understand that you can't feed a family and drive a car in more expensive areas like Bangkok.

What I don't understand is that all head teachers in the town where I'm working talk very bad about Filipino teachers, but the directors are the ones who finally make the decision.

But if they don't go this way, they might "use an agency" and the chances to find a decent job with a 12 months contract are constantly decreasing.

The two biggest schools in my city have agency teachers. One year agency ABC, the next year Global warming agency.

The reason for it is clear. The directors and head teachers get some good money, plus a nice holiday abroad.

Unfortunately, the "only ones" who suffer, are again the students.

The few schools who hire directly start to offer 10, or eventually 11 months contracts, because they know that the agency teachers don't get paid a full year.

professeur likes this.
  5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

If that is the case, is the school not in 'material breach of contract'? If so, this is something for the labor courts to mediate. same with no SS for you. However, at the end of the day, you are under contract ... and that contract is the one that you signed.

6. sirchai

I fully understand that. The director had to register the school at the SS office when 3 guys from the office came by for a visit.

An emergency meeting was called in and they wanted to give us new contracts that make it look like we'd just started.

Please don't get me wrong, I could continue and pay in privately. But to be eligible for that, I had to lie and tell them that I'm not working.

In the end, it was more for the 12 Thai teacher's assistants on 6 K/month. They're more than happy now.

That I'm missing 24 months of payments in my Thai SS is disgusting, but I can live with it.

There's no labor court for me, I know where the front gate is, and that's enough and already too often discussed.

But thanks for your input.

7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

From what I have seen, some of our friends in the LOS will be very happy to take advantage of you. I started out at 28,500 at NPU in Nakhon Phanom (in 2013), which I thought was fair. To me, that was pocket change, and the money did not matter much. I was also paid 400-1200 Baht an hour for extra classes, and there were many of those. The problem came when they started skimming the money for extra classes. It was the principle, the insult, the wrongness, that offended me. I went to the police in Bangkok and I won. So I have a very negative view of working for a government school in Thailand. Almost all of the other foreigners who worked there were treated even worse. For them it was incredible: pay by the hour, don't worry you'll be paid later, etc. The bosses really wanted the money. At that place, I take it that they sized you up, counted how much of your money they could get away with pocketing. In fact, now it is clear to me: if they see you are desperate, that might be good for them. With me, they were reluctant to play tricks, until the thirst for more cash overcame common sense.

My pay raise in China, which I asked for and just got, was 12,896 Baht, after taxes, and a beautiful apartment with everything included, and additional insurance. No ripoffs, no tricks, no games, focused on work. And a 10% raise is guaranteed in my contract, if I stay one more year. Math suddenly becomes interesting: my raise next year will be 5,920 Baht, after taxes. That is not a lot of money; my salary is average in China, from what I see. But I am treated fairly and there are no tricks. That allows me to focus on teaching and learning, which is also rewarding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are working at the 28,500 rate, then investigate working online. This website has a lot of information about that.
    Living in Thailand is nice, and 28,500 can go a long way when the cost of living is low.

Moving out of Thailand is an option, but every new place is going to have its own challenges.

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  8. DavidUSA

Big smile either way.

What he says is true. It is up to us to find good work. Sometimes you run into corruption, but sometimes it is just supply and demand and getting what you deserve. Don't be a doormat. Thailand has money, and government employees get raises.

Working for 28,500 can be like having a paid vacation, but if you a grown man, if this is your career or second career, then get moving and make your life better. No one else can do that except you.

sirchai, marcusb and Stamp like this.
  9. qwerty

qwerty New Member

My first job in Thailand started in November 2003. I worked for a Language School/Agency and actually taught at a Government School.

My salary, 13 & 1/2 years ago.... was 30,000 baht. :huh

I was able to live comfortably on that amount at that time, but the cost of living has gone up considerably since then! Perhaps the law of supply and demand will eventually come to Thailand. :confused

Stamp and bahn_farang like this.
  10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

it has,

cheap teachers are in plentiful supply and demand

11. sirchai

The cost of living isn't low anymore.

Unfortunately, these times are over.

28 K is not enough to feed a family and impossible to save cash for a car.

DavidUSA likes this.
  12. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

The trick to making more money is both working in Bangkok and job jumping. Plenty of better paying jobs in Bangkok.

Many govt schools will start at 35-38k. You are at the top of the wage bracket and raises will be minimal. My experience is size up the conditions before leaving for a paltry two thousand.

Another thing clearly working against us is the waiver system. It's very design is to keep you in place.

You can't live out in the provs and whine about money, seriously.

If you expect proper pay increases at govt schools, forget it.

I was able to go from 35 to 38.5 to 43 + eoy bonus. This year would be making 45k+ but the job is bs. The prep and extracurricular hours are insane and the demands frustrating. Department management rudderless and Sr Asian NNES (non Thai) unhelpful if not passive aggressive. No AV.

I'm moving on. Next position same money, my own classroom, so much autonomy and no weekends prepping and writing ceaseless midterms and finals. No Filipino NNES chuckleheads.

To me more than anything money is the almost the only expression an employer can make that demonstrates your value. The job pays too little for those willing to really do the work not to be compensated properly. Extra holidays during the year would be great but that ain't gonna happen. Golf membership?

sirchai, DavidUSA and Stamp like this.
  13. DavidUSA

I hear what you are saying. I still think that working online is a good option if you are teaching in Thailand. The money you earn by teaching online is not much in the States, but it can be significant in Thailand.

14. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Working online is not for me. I like getting up early, I enjoy being at school and making the connection with the kids.

Then there's the question of whether you get paid.

Working nights, weekends, cancellations, wearing headphones, speaking into a mic, I could drone on. Nope nope nope.

I think online teaching is here to stay but it's current iteration is not for me.

15. sirchai

Thanks a lot for the great post. I fully agree with all your points and I'm really so fed up with guys who call everybody "Ajarn" and act like they'd be very busy.

But you're the one who's finally doing their job. One is hiding behind his religion, the other one has other excuses not to show up on weekends.

But let's not go any further, I guess you're very familiar with all the bs. There's a huge difference if you're only in for the money.