1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck at 30,000 baht starting salary

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by mike123_ca, 12 Mar 2017.

1. mike123_ca

mike123_ca Thread Starter Active Member

I started almost 7 years ago at my government high school for 30,000 a month for 12 months.
    Anyway fast forward and the school is looking for new hires for the new term. You would think over the years the school would adjust the compensation value. There has been inflation over time and also, I don't see as many young backpackers applying for the new positions here.

If they are able to recruit new teacher's at 30,000 a month, then I do believe that there is no incentive for the school to raise the wage level.?

Looking at the recruiting ads on Ajarn.com, it looks like government schools are still keeping the wages low.
    I've spoken to the other foreign teacher's at my school and told them not provide any new hires. If the school is not able to recruit at 30,000 a month then it might force their hand.

I was wondering what is the starting salary at other government schools this year. Are they improving or stagnating where you teach?

What can we do to help convince school administrators that they are constantly undervaluing us with each passing year.

I would like to see foreign teachers who have been awarded a Thai teacher's license be given extra compensation and status. As things are now having the teacher's license allows you work more years as a teacher in Thailand, but you don't get the same government benefits as your Thai government teachers.

Clown and DavidUSA like this.
  2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Mike, a great thread, but also a very sad one.

I've started at a time in May 2005 when I still had enough cash to live a very good life but decided to give it a try.
    25 K back then was way more than 35 K can buy you now. The directors and school administrators do not seem to get that.

My former school paid me 28,500 per month, but I had the biggest house on campus with a carport for two cars in the middle of the city, free internet, etc. Can't be better.

My biggest mistake was to go for more money and I should have listened to my inner voice telling me no after they offered me 25 K, knowing what I already had and awaiting a pay raise.

I said thank you, we waied each other and my wife and I were already around the corner heading out of the town. I even agreed to help them to find a "suitable" teacher.

Then the headteacher's phone call. "The director wants you," please come back.

Then the number 25 was increased to 33 and I thought, well the salary for 12 months, and sleeping at home every day would be okay. God, was I wrong......

What I didn't know was that they'd planned to open an EP, advertised for it, had already enough students ( almost 40), but not the "right foreign teacher" to do this job.

It was only a few days before the new school year started and I still feel guilty for leaving my former school where I was treated well.

The money was a little low, but I had no idea what would follow. I resigned online as the head teacher had again changed her phone number.

The 33 K were never increased. Not even 1,000 baht more per month. Nil, Niente, zero. Not even talking about it seems to be odd.

Now after three years, I'm really burned out, work for two and the promised two, or three NES teachers were never hired.

The course, already fully paid, a new TV and some problems at my car, ate up my savings I always had for an emergency.

I need around 4 K/month to drive back and forth, 25 km one way. I'm constantly in a noisy room you can't even call an office, I'm using my own PC that I've bought second hand, etc....

Let's talk about 30 K per month for a single guy, which might be okay. But when you don't have your own house and a family 30 K isn't an amount where you can save money.

And forget it to buy a car with such a salary. It's a lot of fun to drive to school in the rainy season. Foreigners don't have the same rights, you can't open up a bank account where all teachers can have a nice credit.

All provinces have such special banks, but they're not for us.

Don't misunderstand me, we're not starving eat out often, but the inflation is visible everywhere.

The new building at my current school is ready soon and would I stay I could maybe convince them to give me my own classroom. But too many things have already happened and I don't like liars.

The start wasn't good and I doubt that they will change. No SS for foreigners and 12 Thais, plus a few more incredible things.

They do know that I'll get my golden card this year, but I doubt that that would give me a higher salary.

Just to answer your question, there's no school I know of, that's increasing the salary for foreign teachers in my area. Exactly the opposite.

Many schools are trying to find "experienced NES teachers" and offer a 10-month salary.

Others might pay you for 12 months, but only when you're working full time, doing English camps and, or seminars for teachers when others do nothing but get their salary.

Please feel free to share what's going on at your school. Is a teacher's license really a way to receive more money?

Or do they believe that it's just something we foreigners have to have?

Last edited: 12 Mar 2017
  3. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

Contrary to all that^.
    I had 2 interviews last summer when I was preparing to leave the school I was at. In friendly negotiations both schools upped their starting salary. One school went up 4,000 and one went up 5,000. I'd say you just have to ask. Big smile if they agree, job hunting if they don't.

isn't that illegal?? I've had some health issues lately and that SS card is gold to me.

sirchai likes this.
  4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

This is the annual mental conflict which I used to go through. I have found peace by giving exactly the level of effort which my salary demands

Stamp and marcusb like this.
  5. sirchai

It's totally illegal and it was really a shock to find out that 12 Thais, Anuban teacher's assistants who're actually doing the work ( wiping asses and removing the puke...) were without this security from the beginning.

They're all on 6 K and most of them have a family to feed. But they had no more rights than a jobless Thai.

It's a by the King of Thailand signed law that all government schools have to follow.

I could just continue by not telling the truth and telling them that i wanted to continue paying in privately, which is only 480 baht or so, with full coverage.

After two years, some guys from the office showed up and we had an "emergency meeting" when the boss had realized how serious his offense was.

They wanted to discuss new contracts that makes it look like we'd just started, but i had to point out that the labor department and immigration would be well aware when we've started.

Unfortunately, is one sister of a teacher working in the office and they must have come to an agreement, even when they should have paid all in from day one when all employees had started.

I always had insurance, but I'm now missing two years of "real payments" that count for retirement, just because the director was always not telling the truth.

His excuse was so insane that I almost started to laugh. He was too busy to go to the office, even when he told me twice that he'd do that in the same week.

That was in my first year at the spooky school. If you think that you're working at a shitty school, please page me and visit mine.

P.S. Tha Thai SS insurance must have paid at least ten times more for me than what the schools and I have paid in so far. As you said, it's worth gold.

I've even met guys who wanted to save that money for beer, not realizing how important such an insurance is.

An Asian Ex-colleague of mine told me that they paid him 12 K/month when he was jobless for almost one year. No idea if it's true though.

6. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

At PKRU we got a 500 baht a month rise last year, our first cost of living rise in eight or nine years, and we are still not making 30,000 baht a month……

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Our secondary government school pays its new NES teachers 32,000 THB + 2,000 THB housing allowance. Regardless the experience. NNES, but not from the Philippines, are paid 25,000 - 27,000 THB + 2,000 THB housing allowance. Until recently, all teachers got pay raises every year from 1,000 - 2,000 THB. Our new director abandoned the benefit though. Two teachers who are working at our school for 10 years or so are earning 37,000 - 39,000 THB.

An other government secondary school with an EP is paying 31,000 THB to its new NES teachers. Another government secondary school pay its NES 30,000 THB.

8. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

So if all government schools get the same financial help how come my agency can pay me 40,000 for 18 hrs in a normal program?

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

idk, I started at 35k many moons ago, and have not looked back. 10 or 11 years teaching here and my take home pay has increased substantially. Yes that money is still being offered, and will be as long as there are those willing to take it.

Tonyja likes this.
  10. Stamp

Very appropriate quote, bahn_farang. For me this one should be framed and must be my guideline for 2017.

11. Stamp

Thanks to bahn_farang.

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

Davman, Tonyja, sirchai and 1 other person like this.
  12. sirchai

Does anybody here know if it's true that all the government schools usually get more money 'reimbursed' from the Ministry of Finance than they pay their "Farangs?"

13. Stamp

I've heard this story for many, many years but I've never seen any proof of it, sirchai.

On a side note, I've to sign the receipt of my salary on a list. The list contains 3 names. Me and my 2 colleagues. Upon asking, the salary administrator answered that the reason for that was that the 3 of us are TCT licensed teachers. So, it must have something to do with budget allocation.

sirchai likes this.
  14. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

They put a bill in of about 140,000 a month at our school for three teachers on 42k each because Ive looked at the documents when I have to sign 20 times on some sheet every month.

Clown and sirchai like this.
  15. sirchai

It has to be true, though. On my contract with the school is the Ministry of Finance on top. Plenty of stamps on the first page of the original contract, so I'd imagine TT's post is correct.

If that's true and they receive way more than they actually pay you, it's a big rip-off, don't you agree?