1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming movies - I can't seem to get the movies boxes stream movies.

Discussion in 'Computers and Electronics' started by Stamp, 15 Mar 2017.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I have TOT Fibre with 2 wireless movies boxes. Watching any channel provided by TOT is working very well. I've set the wireless router to WMM-on. However, using the built-in internet browser or Firefox to access websites providing streaming movies doesn't work. Websites as for example Cyro. The loading icon starts but never ends. Tried to use an MQX box a mate of mine gave me but still have the same problem. I bought a 30 m ethernet cable to explore whether using LAN would solve the problem. Doesn't work either. However, using my laptop next to the TV, connecting it with HDMI and even using the wireless connection displays streaming movies perfectly.

Is there something wrong with the settings of the movie boxes?

Your opinions are appreciated.

2. archlord

archlord Member

My best guess is the Firefox browser for Android doesn't support the format of the steam. You're better off using KODI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stamp likes this.
  3. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

Yes, use Kodi on boxes like this. I have 6 years experience with Kodi now and its a breeze to use and easy to set up. Pm me if you need more help/advice.

Stamp likes this.
  4. Stamp

Thank you. Will do as I don't understand anything of KODI.

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Please have a look here: Guide: How to install Kodi on Windows in three easy steps

How to Install Kodi on Windows 10 - Setup Kodi on Windows 10

Note:
    Warning
    Before you use Kodi, we highly recommend that you're using a VPN service to protect your privacy. Kodi streamers have been known to receive copyright infringement notices for watching movies, sports, and TV shows through various addons. If you would like to keep your streaming habits private, our recommendation is IPVanish – a complete privacy solution for Kodi users.

How to Install Kodi on Windows 10
    Your first step to installing Kodi on your Windows 10 computer is to head over to the official Kodi download page: Downloads | Kodi

Note: Don’t worry about looking for a specific Windows 10 version of Kodi. The Kodi website will detect the fact that you’re running Windows 10. Then, it’ll direct you to the page you need to go to download it.

For the setup: Files...

I hope that helps. Cheers.-

P.S. Kaspersky has just warned me of the 80 MB file from the 22nd of this month.

I've decided to neutralize it. Better check all setup files with a good AV before you get into troubles.

And please create a back up with Macrium on an external, just in case.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2017
    Stamp likes this.
  6. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

Sirchai has pointed you in the right direction. Each of the topics touched requires a separate discussion, for example VPN, builds, and Kodi installation on different devices.

Here is some info you might consider about VPN. Maybe next week I will write about builds on Kodi if the interest is there.

VPN

This can be useful for several reasons: 1 Theoretically it hides your identity and protects your privacy. Because VPN encrypt your connection, VPNs allow users to prevent others from seeing the data they’re transferring. This keeps data secure, ensuring no one can snoop your traffic and steal your passwords etc. 2 A VPN hides your real IP address and will make it look like you are somewhere you are not. You can then watch channels and websites that are geo blocked 3 Sometimes you can get a faster connection. An example is to connect to Singapore with a VPN and then your connection will be on faster lines to USA/EU compared to without a VPN from Thailand.

It's a meadow full of roses, right? Well, consider this: Regarding 1: Many VPNs promise anonymity, but few can actually provide it and you’re trusting the VPN provider with access to your traffic, which isn’t ideal. For better anonymity use Tor. DavidUSA has written an excellent post about Tor and anonymity. Regarding 2: If you use Kodi many addons use what's called a proxy. This is a VPN like function. It works per app, not on the whole system. So, if you use Kodi you will rarely need a VPN for geo (un)blocking purposes. Regarding 3: Your speed can go up in certain situations, but most likely on average your speed will go way down when using a VPN. In regards to Thailand I have only seen one VPN that works really well in regards to speed: ExpressVPN (I'm not affiliated with them).
    Overall cost: VPNs can be very expensive, especially the good ones. There are free VPNs but they have other disadvantages. For example Hola, its free but lets other users use your connection. This sounds horrible, but in most cases when used on an android box its not a big deal (for me). It depends on what's important to you. Thats why choosing a VPN is a personal decision based on a weighting of the various elements. I talk with users and try to make a best possible decision with them. If money is not a problem, choose ExpressVPN. Some of my users have good experience with Safer VPN, but it doesnt allow torrent use. IPVanish is ok, but slow in my experience. Or dont use any VPN at all which is my choice.

Stamp and sirchai like this.
  7. Stamp

Thank you very much for your replies, guys. I found out that on my MQX-box, Kodi is pre-installed including some addons. I updated Kodi and added some other addons.

Geeeezzzzzzz, this is working perfectly. No WIFI-buffering at all. My favourite addon is currently 'Exodus'.

I've 2 questions though.

1) why do some addons not download for installation?
    2) which is a good addon for BBC documentaries.

Thanks again.

8. archlord

archlord Member

I think some may be out of date or not maintained.

And yeah Exodus is absolutely amazing. The subtitles add ons also work very well. It's nice to be able to watch newer movies with my wife.

Stamp likes this.
  9. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

Good to hear you are on the right track. i will send you a pm too.

Stamp likes this.
  10. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

I've attached a PDF (an article I extracted from a mag) that has some info about Kodi that may be useful. What android boxes do people use on here? - mine's a MINIX Neo UI, can't fault it, especially for playing x265 vids.

As for VPNs, I only use one with my laptop and phone, and never on my TV box. I use Private Internet Access which I find to be reasonably priced - I got a great bargain on a Black Friday deal for a one year subscription. It works perfectly fine for torrent downloads with little to no impact on dl speeds. I'm not sure about streaming Netflix or foreign TV sites however, I use my Kodi box for the latter via an addon. I have used Black VPN before for TV streaming and this worked OK.

As for BBC docs, I get mine from the 'documentary' section of Kickass or PB, I prefer to keep copies of docs for future viewing rather than streaming so I download them and play them via a USB stick with my MINIX box. MVGroup.org release group are always uploading excellent docs, try searching the torrent sites using their name: for example. That, or just do a BBC / BBC Horizon search.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2017
    Stamp likes this.
  11. Stamp

81bfANyksjL._SL1500_.jpg

12. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

I have used x92, nexbox a95x, ms8, ms8+, Xiaomi mi box, Beelink G1, Beelink mini MX III, MXQ, Zoomtak H8, Zoomtak V plus, t95m and some other boxes i forgot about.

If you have big fingers or generally have problems with remotes, avoid a95x. The remote isnt that good.

Mi box is a very good, stable box, but comes without ethernet. You need a usb to ethernet connector if you want to use ethernet connection.

Himedia boxes in general are good boxes.

Ms8 are good for the price, but people who dislike plastic and low end should avoid it.

Beelink are good boxes, remotes above average.

As always it depends on your needs, what you think is expensive :yes and if you will use it for only streaming or not.

A general advice is to avoid 1 gb ram boxes. When the boxes fill up streaming becomes a problem. With 2 gb ram you have some memory to work with making streaming easier for the box. Get android 6 if you can.

Minix are very good boxes, but are expensive.

13. archlord

archlord Member

I've got the MXQ Pro 4K. It works great and even though it has only 1gb of ram I have yet to run into any problems. Fingers crossed.

Also, not sure if this is common knowledge now, but Netflix now offers Thai subtitles on a lot of their programming. Found this out last night after getting fed up with Kodi. Seems like all the HD streams are gone or don't have Thai subtitles. At least on Exodus.

14. Stamp

Thanks to the members contributing to this thread I found the world of Kodi. This world of media is beyond imagination. The latest movies and top documentaries, which are my favourites, are all avaiable when you use the right addon. Thanks to all.

15. chrgrims

chrgrims Member

The way of kodi addons is ebb and flow. Some addons come and others go. Some developers give it all for some months or years then leave their addons to die. Right now some addon devs try to make money by promoting services like real debrid, these are services that connect with the addons and give dedicated hd streams. So this might be why lately the selection of hd has gone down, because the devs want you over to pay streams.

Anyway, the solution is to get a selection of addons for every format you use. E.g. get many movie addons if you watch movies. this way, if Exodus is missing that 1080 version of Rouge One, it will still be in Zen. Obviously its a lot of work to stay on top of all these addons, install them and learn to use them, you have other important things to do. So, you might want other people to do it for you :runaround. But if you want to do it yourself its not that hard, it just requires google and time. :thai wai

Stamp likes this.