1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soon-to-be films

Discussion in 'The Library' started by crew, 3 Jul 2013.

1. crew

crew Thread Starter Faber College Member

I'm putting a few of these on my list of most wanted reads:
    14 Books To Read Before They Hit The Big Screen
    9383f339-2aee-4808-bb8c-c5a674e7f17d_GAL_Wolf_of_Wall_Street.jpg

- Divergent looks like a goer.

- The Wolf of Wall Street needs to be read.

- Always love me a murder mystery, so Gone Girl goes on the list.

- Not a big WWII guy but The Monuments Men looks like a page turner.

- Serena looks a bit evil, so it's a must-read as well.

9383f339-2aee-4808-bb8c-c5a674e7f17d_GAL_Wolf_of_Wall_Street.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  2. Jilrob

Jilrob Member

Interesting. I can see who the perceived audience is and it is not us old farts. The book Thief is one of my all time favourites. As the author described it "aA book aimed at teens, set in the holocaust with death as a narrator." He was surprised by its success.

3. crew

crew Thread Starter Faber College Member

i was thinking the same thing. and i've also seen a few more films coming out aimed at older folks. what was that one where they stayed in a hotel in india, or something like that?
    interesting. i thought it looked really cliche, if i am to judge a book by its cover. :wink2:

what did you like about it?

4. Jilrob

Jilrob Member

The love of books. The characters from the child who is the book thief to the person from who she steals. The way the holocaust was dealt with. It is also well written. A gentle but not "nice" book. I could say about the redemptive qualities of literature but that would be cliched. I also liked Mr Pip and Shadows of the Wind. All books about literature and the love o

5. po3try

po3try Guest

i went to bed at 9pm last night so i could read my book for a bit. fell asleep a few pages in and it's not THAT boring. I need a long reading holiday :hilarious:

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

o god you just hit the nail on the head one week by the pool with a book. This term is always the longest but it really seems long this year.

- - - Updated - - -

o god you just hit the nail on the head one week by the pool with a book. This term is always the longest but it really seems long this year.

7. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

Which reminds me, I need a good reading lamp next to my bed to tuck me in and read bedtime stories ;)

Jilrob, I too recommend the book, The Book Thief, for riveting allround satisfaction. Quite deep, sad and meaningful, a feel-good one. The writing is like a smorgasbord of words, word pictures and ideas, akin to eating a French butter croissant, picking shreds off it and involving all the senses. Jup, will be rated as a classic one day.