1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short holiday trip to an island

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Stamp, 28 Apr 2015.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

We want to have a short holiday on an island with nice white sandy beaches, good accommodation and descent restaurants. We're thinking about going by car, leave it at the mainland and hire public transportation to the island. We will be going from 1 May until 5 May at the latest. We're thinking of an island on the east side of Thailand. We have been to Koh Samet and Koh Chang and are looking for something different. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

If going to Koh Chang, it's better to take the car, transport is a bit expensive and it's only 80 baht on the ferry + passengers
    Or why not go to Chumphon and get the ferry to Samui or Koh Tao ?

3. Stamp

Thanks for your reply. We've been several times to Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Koh Tao and Koh Samui. We are looking for a different place but with not more than about 500 km driving.

4. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

I was talking to a Thai friend of mine and recommended Koh Mak which I believe is close to the Cambodian border. Koh Lanta is out that way as well which was also recommended to me. I was reading about Koh Mak and it is a small island and not overly touristy with quite a few resorts. The only problem is that they often get sand fleas on their beaches so it can be uncomfortable.

Mister T and Stamp like this.
  5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

If you have not gone gone yet, you can check out Soneva Kiri on Koh Kut, or 6th Sense on Samui. Soneva Kiri used to be managed by 6th Sense, but isn't anymore so that is a bit of a downer, but still it is unsurpassed in beauty. Oh and movies on a projection screen over a lagoon with cocktails is just as nice as it sounds.

gungchang likes this.
  6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I don't know about Stamp, but you've sold me.

7. Stamp

Thanks, ramses. We decided to go to Kanchanaburi instead of an island. We'll go to an island next time.