1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shane English School

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by daiwill, 31 Mar 2014.

1. daiwill

daiwill Thread Starter Member

Does anyone have any experience of the newly revived in Thailand, Shane English Classes based in Pattaya and Sattahip .

I have read many good and bad reviews related to other branches they have or have had in Thailand in the past, and in China and Vietnam on here and other forums .
    I also realise that due to this being a franchised operation, there will be various good and bad experiences, depending on the owner of indivdual operations at different locations.

2. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Active Member

The only experience I had was when I applied for a job and spoke with a cheeky HR chick in London via e-mail. My friend worked for them in Shanghai and said they were alright, similar to other corporate schools. I'm pretty sure they specialize in teaching kids, so if you like teaching adults, obviously I'm not sure how much they'd have available.

daiwill likes this.
  3. pairofraggedclause

pairofraggedclause New Member

daiwill, did you end up taking a job with Shane English School? If so, how is it? If not, why not? I have an offer from them right now and need some advice.

4. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

I worked for Shane in Japan about 12 - 13 years ago , but found it to be a dodgy outfit. It was an unusually unhappy time for me; most of my jobs have had at least enough redeeming features to make hanging in worthwhile. Fortunately I was solvent enough to be able to give proper notice, and left about seven months into my contract. Many just did a runner the day after payday. The founder, Shane Lipscombe owned it at the time. Since then he has sold the company, but I don't know what changes have been wrought.

Under Lipscombe the company expanded into several countries. In Thailand it was in the early or mid '90s, in cohorts with some well connected big shot. One day he arrived at his office to find the locks changed. Lipscombe was informed that he had been declared persona non grata, with just enough time to beat a hasty exit, and cut his losses. In essence, his investment was stolen….. couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

The company changed its name to Earth language somewhere along the line, but I think has since ceased to trade. Its branch in Phuket closed several years ago.

If Shane has started up again in Thailand, I guess it will be under the new owner, and new arrangements….. which may, or may not be more favourable. I'd be interested to find out!

5. faithnomore

faithnomore New Member

I worked for Shane in 'Nam about 10 years ago.

They have "their way" of how they want kids taught...

...and it worked a treat for me. I still use it.

If anyone reading this disagrees, it's because the person who mentored you was crap at his/her job!

6. daiwill

daiwill Thread Starter Member

Sorry for the long delay in responding, havent been on here much lately. No, i did not even get any replies from them. if you did take the job can you please PM me .

7. AdamUK

AdamUK New Member

I worked for them in Taiwan and they ran the schools. Well, just moved to Thailand and have worked there for 3 months. It's runs well. Like any franchise things vary from school to school. Some of the schools are great some not so much.

8. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I was in Ginza (Tokyo) last September, and I happened to walk past a school I had never heard of: Shane. The idea popped into my head to walk in and speak to them. I had a pleasant conversation with a secretary, and then gave my e-mail address over the phone to an administrator. Long story short, he did not even reply to me--even after he promised to and expressed interest. The fella I spoke to, I remember his name: Ian. Not the straightest talker I ever met.

I even called him again and asked if anything were wrong... oh, nothing wrong, will call you later this evening... then nothing.

Not a positive impression.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2017