1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking any useful tips to successfully pass a Skype interview

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by sirchai, 10 Feb 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Dear members,

I apologize when this topic has been discussed a couple of times before, but I'd be more than happy to receive some first hand experience from people who were interviewed via Skype.

The Spanish company, an online teaching institution seems to be a great one and I almost missed the deadline for an interview.

After submitting my qualifications and Internet speed, I did get a date on Monday which is a holiday.

The interview is audio/ verbal only, so no worries about a dress code.

IT, I remember that you've done quite a few before. Any useful tips what to expect would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance and a great,long and nice weekend,

Khop Khun Maak Khrap. -:thai wai

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

^ Pardon my ignorance but why no video? If this is for a job to do online teaching then why do they not want to see you?

3. sirchai

A very valid and in no way ignorant question, sir. I assume that the first session is only to check my Tinglish skills before they even introduce their platform to me and "watch a lesson", once I'm familiar with the technical appliances and how to use them.

To make a long story short. There will be a face to face interview, or my passport photo in my resume' has shocked them so much that they can't be bothered to see my ugly face.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get this job considering the 6 hour time difference, almost perfect.

And I can teach English and eventually German as well. But step by step. I'm really excited about it.

Still a few days to prepare myself for some "extraordinary" questions. Thanks for any tips. :thai wai

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  4. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

Cool.. good luck! A Skype interview is like a face to face interview. They will ask you your experience in teaching both in the class, online, and what ages you've taught? Just act as you would in a face to face interview. Even if you are not doing a face to face video interview, I'd dress to impress. You'll feel more professional and confident, and they may ask you to switch to video.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! and sirchai like this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Good luck with the interview, my only advice is be prepared to do a live video, dress as if the next question will be "so lets turn on video, shall we? Nothing over the top but smart/casual attire. And sobriety!

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

Thank you very much, your advice is greatly appreciated. I'll be prepared to switch the cam on, wasn't really thinking about such a possibility. Have a nice weekend, I know that you won't have Monday off.

Cheers:thai wai-

Internationalteacher likes this.
  7. sirchai

Thanks a lot BF. I wasn't really thinking about the possibility that they want to find out what people really look like.

It doesn't make much sense to do an interview without seeing each other, no matter if it's "only" for an online position, or a full time job at a Thai school.

Thanks and a nice and long weekend. :thumbs up

8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I skimmed the previous answers, and didn't notice anything about the background.

I did some online teaching and not only prepared my own background, but when selected for some "instant teaching" from someone about to do a Skype interview, I had them move the camera so it wasn't looking up his nose and had a suitable background. (He rated the session as helpful.)

My background was a white bed sheet hung on the wall behind me. I actually worked well.

You also need a fifty caliber machine gun nest to eliminate pesky wives and children who might walk behind you or come looking for something in the room.

sirchai likes this.
  9. sirchai

Thanks a lot for your really useful input. I was actually thinking about the right background, perhaps the map of Spain, eventually with some Toreros and Cerveza rubia advertisements.

My first love was from Barcelona when I was 18, but my Spanish has gotten to almost nil.

I've spent quite a long time in Spain and like the country a lot, but not the touristy spots.

I've got to pass when it comes to a machine gun and hope a 357 Magnum will be enough.

My apologies to those who dislike this thread. :sorry

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Find a quiet place, tell those who share your space that it is definitely no entry. Keep the dogs quiet, turn off the phone too

sirchai likes this.
  11. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

Huh? I didn't know there was a dislike button.

Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do fine. I forgot to mention, that you should always have questions to ask them about the job. Having no questions makes you look uninterested. Teaching online is a hit or miss imo. I did it for a while when I was in Korea. I had to use their phone system, and there seemed to be bugs in the software. I ended up leaving it after a few months due to being annoyed at the tech issues.

sirchai likes this.
  12. sirchai

Thanks a lot, I'll make a list of "polite questions" and to be honest all I know right now is that it's a Spanish company with a pretty good structure.

They usually have students who sign up for a longer course and it could be something I really like to do.

But step by step, first I'll have to pass the first and most important parts. Should that work out well, then it's time for the next step. The 6 hour time difference (we're 6 hours ahead in LOS) gives me enough available time.

I'm really highly interested which platform they're using and of course how much they pay and how.

Thanks for the heads up and a nice Sunday. Niehauu Maa.

13. sirchai

Thanks a lot. I can close the door to my office for the time of the interview and make sure that the dogs won't start barking. They'll have to wait behind the house for a while/.

Have a nice and long weekend. Cheers- :thumbs up

14. sirchai

I'd like to thank you guys for the great tips. I think I've passed the first part which was only an audio conversation with a beautiful Irish woman. I assume it was only to check my spoken English and to get some background information, experience etc....

If all goes well, I'll have my okay within two weeks, and another Skype session. Then they'll start to introduce and explain their platform and certain points, including a contract, etc..and more details will be given.

The company seems to be one of the "better-established ones" with students from over 100 countries. So, it's not a single guy who's trying to make some cash by using/abusing you.

If all goes well, I'll be soon start to teach English, but eventually also German and I'm more than happy that it isn't a wannabe company.

They're all sharing their teaching material and the new platform will be ready at the end of this month. I'm glad that I've got a lot of material and special thanks to certain guys here who uploaded some great stuff.

The first step seemed to be done. Thanks again. :thumbs up

Last edited: 13 Feb 2017