1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Science Resources

Discussion in 'Science' started by NODIIT, 5 Jul 2012.

1. NODIIT

NODIIT Thread Starter Well-Known Member

As I state in the other threads, teaching scientific English is all about words.

Here is my choice for a good picture dictionary featuring scientific subject:
    Reader's Digest trilingual-visual-dictionary
    Not cheap but very effective.
    And yes it is trilingual: Thai, English and French.
    I used it for vocabulary sheet, I simply scan it in grey-scale and them erase the French to avoid confusing student.

Finding good online resources is not always easy. Here is one:

BBC bitesize

The school website of the BBC is literally a galaxy and reviewing all the resources may be impossible.
    Science resources anyway are always good and luckily Thai MOE are just copying their standards from the British curriculum (or maybe it is the British Council who write curriculum for them? Who knows ;) ).

2. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n New Member

Lecture Help

This is a fantastic website for all the chemistry teachers out there. It gives random new problems according to topic, you type in your answer and it will tell you correct or not. I believe after three wrong answers it will show the solution.

For the last few years I use it in class for them to do practice problems. Every once in a while I will do "speed rounds" so the first student to get the right answer gets a prize or an extra point to add to their formative score, something like that.

3. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

The website looks very interesting but when I try to play the class clips it says: Not available in your area. Is there a way to play or download them here in Thailand?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

4. NODIIT

No there is not.
    That's the rule with the BBC: no video for foreign country outside UK (we don't pay tax in UK).
    But all the activity worked at least for the KS2 and KS3 website.

5. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n New Member

I just came across this gem for videos explaining scientific concepts. TED-Ed | Lessons Worth Sharing It has a small collection of animations explain a variety of concepts.

6. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I am trying to buy this dictionary but can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

7. NODIIT

Only available online. You will need the help of someone proficient in Thai and probably a Thai Visa Card.
    I'm constantly checking picture dic. in SEED & Co, searching for good science resources but I neither find that one or an equivalent in a shop, sorry.

EDIT: Ok I see the problem. I think it's simply not available anymore. Such a shame.
    Then I will need to contact the admin to see if I can upload some of the material from that dictionary here.
    Any specific vocabulary needed?

8. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks a lot for offering your help. Never mind my other post about asking where to buy the dict. I read that thread first and coming here found out that you had already answered my question. I checked all the shops and Reader's Digest Thailand and SG/Malaysia online. Apparently not available anymore, just as you said.
    Basically, I need the scientfic terms for M1 and M2. I know that's quite a lot but I will be happy and most grateful for anything you want to share.
    Cheers mate.

9. NODIIT

10. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Looks great, thanks a lot.

11. MisterStretch

MisterStretch Guru di guru-guru Ingeris

Was on TorrentDay today, noticed a Science textbook series. Looks to be published 5 years ago, but for basic teaching might be helpful. No idea really.

Says it also includes:

Algebra & Trigonometry
    Biology
    Calculus
    Chemistry
    Computer Science
    Economics
    Electronics
    Physics
    Probability & Statistics
    Science of Everyday Things

http://www.torrentday.com/browse.php#/details.php?id=567433

It's 75 GB of e-book...so probably rather complete.