1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School paid for the WP weeks ago - but now they want me to pay for it!

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by Clown, 27 Aug 2014.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

"The school will pay" was the answer weeks ago, when we went to the Labour Dept. And they did! 3,100 Baht to be exact. Anyone with knowledge of the workings of a government high school knows that this entailed a lot of running around behind the scenes. Even the reimbursement for the teacher who drove me had been worked out.He got a voucher to gas up for 400 Baht.

A Google search revealed that Ajarn.com | Teaching English in Thailand says"it's undecided" who pays. No one ever tried to get a ruling on this? Is there anyone out there who had to pay for her WP?!?

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

3. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

It has been discussed on here before but to answer your question, the general idea is the worker pays for the work permit. Consider it a tax for those foreigners who will benefit financially from working in Thailand. If an employer pays for it, it's a bonus. If an employer advertises they will pay for it, consider it as part of the pay and benefits package of working for that employer. I have been in both situations. One employer paid for mine, another employer didn't pay for it.

4. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

I guess I've been lucky with my schools with 2 of them paying for the 'B' conversion, WP & Extension. One held back 500B from the salary every month & reimbursed it all at the end of the contract with the other holding back 2500B for the first 3 months until the end of the contract; this is a fair compromise IMO.

My current school paid for the WP / Extension but not the 'B' conversion & they hold back 5% until the end of the contract; some schools call that a 'savings plan' I believe...:smile:

5. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I have worked for an agency, a Rajabhat University Demonstration School and 2 government high schools. All of them have paid for visa extension and work permit. The first years the agency paid for the WP upfront but after a few teachers jumped ship they changed their policy. You had to pay first and got reimbursed when you fulfilled the contract. Fair enough, I'd say. At one government school I had to pay for the Non-B visa myself but they paid for the extension of stay and the work permit. After one year at a government school they didn't want to pay for the extension of stay, the work permit for the next year or the holidays period (10-month contract) as they had done in the first year. I left and about 9 months later I got a call from the HOD asking me if I'd consider to come back. They offered a higher salary than before, to pay for WP and extension of stay and a 12-month contract. I agreed and got my old job back but with slightly better conditions.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

too bloody right. The time I pay for my wp or extension will be the time I say bye bye.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

My 3 previous employers paid for both the extension of stay and the work permit. My current employer pays for the work permit only.

Clown likes this.
  8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Yup. A teacher without an appropriate g-string is at a disadvantage at contract renewal time.

9. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It's quite bizarre, IMHO. Weeks ago, we went to the Labour Dept. The Thai teacher who took me paid for the WP. Apparently,the school has been doing that for years and every other foreign teacher had his WP paid by them.

Seems they want to test some boundaries

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:happy1:

a school near me did that, result zero foreign teachers

11. NODIIT

NODIIT Well-Known Member

Just say yes and then forget to bring the money (again and again).

After a while they will get the message...

12. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Have never paid for a work permit. Only paid for one visa, that was my first extension as the school had paid for the inital non B and said one time one year (fair enough)

13. gungchang

I paid for my extension last time. This was fair.

I had declined the school's offer of a B visa. The O visa was my choice.

I had a stipend for procuring the initial visa, and since I went with the O instead of a tourist to be converted to a B, I also effectively paid the difference between a tourist visa and a non-im.

No complaints, the school has always provided the work permit. I paid for some of the visa fees only when I chose to do it "my way" instead of doing what everybody else was doing.

14. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Rebel, trouble maker, non conformist. :bewarned:

15. gungchang

Also the house fortune teller. One reason I gave, in late May, was the crackdown that began a little over a month later.

Following my lead, subsequent teachers have been sent to K.L. instead of Vientiane.