1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Derek

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by ttompatz, 15 Jan 2017.

1. ttompatz

ttompatz Thread Starter Just another teacher

I am not sure where this should be placed so the admins are free to move it if appropriate.

I am not sure if anyone here knew Derek (Del) Cowie. He worked as a teacher in Suphanburi for the last decade or so. Schools he taught at included: Sunwanying, Kanasood, & Sahavith as well as the local Technical College and local Sports College.
    He also wrote the Suphanburi region review on ajarn.com. Suphanburi | Region Guides | Ajarn.com | Teaching English in Thailand

He suffered a massive myocardial infarction (heart attack) around midnight last evening and passed away at 2:10pm this afternoon from complications arising out of that heart attack.

He is survived by a young son here in Thailand and his sister in the UK.

Note to all.... make sure you carry an "in case of emergency" note in your wallet so that next of kin can be notified and make decisions on your behalf should the need arise. Delays finding someone to speak for you or authorize critical care can cost you your life.

Stamp likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I didn't know Derek but hope he will Rest In Peace. Sincere condolences to his son and sister.

IMG_0453.JPG

3. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

RIP Derek

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

It saddens me when a fellow teacher passes. poignant that it was the day before teacher day RIP

5. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

RIP Derek Cowie - out of interest, how old was he?

6. Makaveli

Makaveli aka 2Pac Staff Member

He was 54 when he put this up:
    Derek Cowie resume | Ajarnjobspace.com
    No idea when that was though,,,

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Derek had to go and leave his son here. But he's not really gone, he's just waiting for us and will hold the door open for us.

I hope that all regarding his family can get sorted out without any problems.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Remember him.jpg

8. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I noticed a date of the resume on the lower right of he page: 04/04/2012
    So that would make him around 58.

I am listening.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry to hear about Derek Cowie. Teaching in a foreign country can be a lonely experience, and we are not getting rich. It can be a challenge, but it's an honorable job that touches the lives of many young people.

I just read the article he wrote for ajarn.com. Here is quote from Derek Cowie's writing about Suphan Buri--dry humor, to the point:

Will you be stared at? and what's the likelihood of a good beating?

"Quite likely neither! You are more likely to be largely ignored. There is no anti-farang feeling here, but neither is there any pro-farang feeling. It takes a while to get to know people here, but when you do you will be treated the same as a Thai. The town feels generally safe and you'll probably only find trouble if you cause it yourself."

9. portnoy58

Many thanks David .... I'm about the same age and that was what triggered my question. Like the late Derek I hail from Scotland, probably the best place in the world to have a myocardial infarction, as Glasgow, and the once industrial west of Scotland in particular, has the highest incidence of heart disease in the world. Looks like Derek may have been from Edinburgh....but there is nevertheless a Scottish dimension to cardiology as well, Glasgow is just top of the list.

Derek Cowie's passing underlines the real issues for me - staying alive, staying healthy, staying well. I am better off alive for my wife and family. I reckon they would concur although there was a time in my life when they might have wishes differently. I'm definitely better off on 35,000 THB a month in a shit job in Thailand than pushing up the daisies. If I can make it to 70 then I might feel I can let it rip a bit ... again!

However, as before, RIP to Derek Cowie and condolences to his loved ones.

sirchai, Tonyja, Stamp and 1 other person like this.
  10. Charliesuphan

Charliesuphan New Member

Hi guys I'm living in Suphanburi since 2008 and i knew Derek (dell) . When i got the news i was shocked about his passing . What i fear is the following .
    Last year i met Dell walking along the footpath around midnight he was complaining about severe chest pain and went to the same hospital where he passed away ,after i met him several times, he told me the doctors told him there was no problem . have they done enough to help him or made a complete check up i don't know . has he had any insurance coverage or cash i don't know either. The point is what is the value of a human being in Thailand ??????????

SO LONG DEREK

Stamp likes this.
  11. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I could tell you a couple horror stories about medical care at the main hospital in Nakhon Phanom, but I'll hold fire. I take what evidently happened to Derek Cowie as a stern warning.

Charliesuphan likes this.
  12. portnoy58

Nothing will bring back Derek now and it is probably unhelpful to speculate on what might have been. It is fair to say that the value of life varies in different parts of the world.

In the Philippines, allegedly a Catholic country, my late father-in-law was turned away at a hospital when he had had a heart attack because he did not have the deposit; he died in the taxi on the way to the next hospital. My serially indebted mother-in-law could not bear the potential loss of face that would have been involved in asking us for help because we had history - I recall a previous dialogue in which I told the mother-in-law that I understood from personal experience what it was like to be skint and to owe the world, and the bad news for her was, I added, she would not make me skint again. I also told her a funny thing: you cannot get out of debt by borrowing more money! That meant we only learned of the tragedy after it was too late to help.

What is the value of a human being? About 10,000 THB I would say. A colleague of my wife, a young Filipino teacher aged 31, working in Thailand, mother of an 18 month old boy, died last year of cancer. When she learned of her diagnosis the only concern of the school was to get her back to the Philippines post haste where it was a virtual certainty she would not get treatment. So they settled her considerable debts to money lenders in order to secure the release of her passport, bought her a ticket for her son and husband, and sent them home, to die; they recovered a significant amount of their outlay by deducting the money from teachers who had acted as guarantors.

With hindsight it might have been better to spend the money to get her treated in Thailand and give her a fighting chance. Alas no, get her home and get far away.

A few weeks after the teacher's tragic death her colleagues held a benefit for her son which raised 200,000 THB. A contributor was one of the senior players in the school who, with flourish, announced a contribution of 10,000 THB. The same contributor had a couple of years earlier done away with the school's employee health insurance policy which, inter alia , would have shelled out a death benefit of 1,000,000 THB and possibly would have paid for quite a lot of treatment.

It's a grim business. RIP once more Derek Cowie.

13. ttompatz

ttompatz Thread Starter Just another teacher

Mr.Derek John Cowie passed away last Sunday from a heart attack.

There will be a service for him at Wat Song Kratiem, 14.280986 N, 100.241946 E, tonight (17) and tomorrow night (18) at 7:30PM and a cremation on Thursday, Jan 19th, around 3-4PM.

Stamp likes this.
  14. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

I didn't know him, but RIP.. so very sad. :(
    I've known many people who've had heart attacks and have gone way before their expiry date.

15. Charliesuphan

Charliesuphan New Member

Thanks for the replies shocking to hear these stories

ill attend the funeral tomorrow , another sad day