1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP AF

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by gungchang, 9 Oct 2016.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yup and I gave up on there even before Thailand Teaching was born.

Correct and it came across to me as a don't care attitude ....on the other hand, Stamp I believe is a good moderator too and I trust that he won't let it go that way ...I have already seen a new name come and go within a week so please take it that Stamp is serious about keeping our happy home nice and tidy.

Let's hope so and welcome to all new members who can contribute positively to Thailand Teaching.
    :welcome2

On a personal note: I have been a member here for 5 years now (and nowhere else when it comes to teching in Thailand) and I have contributed quite a bit, especially in the TCT days, less so now, but I am still active as this site is a gem for keeping on top of what is going on out there for us foreign teachers. It's ok to have a banter here, it's ok to criticise where criticism is due, it's ok to offer a valid opinion ...what's not ok is to continously attack another poster in various threads for whatever reason you have, grammar nazis are not really welcome either as we have NES and NNES contributing here, and just plain old trolling. Just IMO XXX GBG.

bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  2. Templeton

Templeton Member

I can say this:

The forum mentioned on this thread was exciting to me because I was still in the US when I found it. I asked several serious, relevant questions and only a handful of people answered (most told me to stay away but never gave a real reason other than they hated the place themselves). All of those people assumed I was a troll or that I was one of them using a different name. Several of the people in this forum were rude and unhelpful as well when in AF. I wasn't a troll until at one point someone accused me of being a troll. Does that make me a bad person? I don't know. Did I help the situation? Of course not.

Did I originally sign up to post a real question and get honest advice from experienced teachers in Thailand? You bet I did! The random troll here or there can be fun(ny) but when I was a new poster and got attacked for a real question...think about it. I'ts a turn off. I was banned from AF under this name. I only lasted two days because a serious question about the CELTA bothered a certain "GUY M." Some of you remember. Anyway, I liked AF's look and user friendly navigation but to be perfectly honest, the real trolls were the regulars. That means....YOU! However, that being said, you is not all inclusive. Russ, you never seemed to give a hard time and plenty of others were helpful too. But where's serial and the rest of those miserable peeps. They ruined that forum and will likely ruin certain threads here if not managed. In fact, I don't mean to blast names so let's be honest, most people here have flamed others once upon a time. I have plenty of names though!

3. paull

paull New Member

Help. Not me, surely..

4. Templeton

Templeton Member

Yes, Paull-y

YOU.

:cursing

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Ban?

6. paull

paull New Member

What, already?

7. Stamp

Kidding. AF-style......

8. paull

paull New Member

Phew.. This forum's great ;)

9. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

10. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

With the current AF influx & current events I can only see one outcome...

Hmmmmm...Stamp. have you disabled links to YouTube?

11. Stamp

Nope. Why that?

12. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Don't know. Maybe I'm intoxicated, maybe not... I will try again.

Thanx

13. russellsimpson

russellsimpson New Member

Why would it require a new name? Somebody mentioned that the AF Forum domain licence was going to expire in 2017? Do you know if somebody has already grabbed the name? I can't see why Louis would let this thing just disappear while it was still generating income. I myself don't have the technical know how to operate a forum, not even close. In any case, bottom line, I quite believe that AF forum is/was a very unique place with a wide range of talent. I'd like to see it rise from the dust and I think given the will it can be done. Things is in this regard it sound like I may be in the majority of one.

Cheers guys, life moves forward. Once I get used to the operations here I will be more comfortable. I'm going to join the teakdoor today and if my old nemesis is not guarding the front door I'll check it out.

Thanks Stamp

14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

just change the word parrot/polly for AF every time.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2016
  15. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

AJ went so downhill over the past few years. It was all trolls and bs mostly. They were mean to new members and everyone was seen as a threat to the little clique that they had going. There was barely any good moderation and LDMA didn't seem to give a rat's ass about what was being posted on there. There was a time when people were quite helpful, but there were a handful that dragged the place down thinking they knew everything and would be very mean spirited to certain people, even newbies. Best thing it did was shut down because it wasn't going anywhere. I stopped posting there awhile ago. Hope everyone is well here (Stamp, Mak, etc).

Stamp likes this.