1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renewing the work permit soon. A few questions.

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by DigitalGypsy, 4 Jan 2017.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi,

Coming to that time of the year again where I start dreading the usual work permit rigmarole. All details of my application are as per my original post last year (still haven't completed my M.Ed in full yet, work in progress). I'm also on my 3rd work permit and this year will be a renewal for the second year of it.

I've noticed something strange on the Khurusupha website when I check my waivers log though. My current waiver, which is my 3rd, states that it commenced on 19/01/2559 and expires on 18/01/2561. This is a bit odd as I'm still at the same school that I was teaching in during my second waiver, and that expired on 08/07/2559. So how does my 3rd waiver commence on 19/01/2559 when the application would have been around mid-year of 2016? Should I be worried, or is it some sort of clerical error? Please tell me it's not a new nonsensical tweak that'll cause me future headaches...?

Also, I don't have an apostille for my degree yet as it was never required of me. I read somewhere about this being required in Thailand now - is this true? I only have one original in my possession and I have laminated that copy, will this be an issue? Finally, what exactly is an apostille - is it a physical stamp on my degree itself or just an official letter to accompany it?

Cheers,

DG

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

For one or the other reason you've lost 6 months on your 3rd provisional teaching permit. For Labour that doesn't matter. Labour only looks at the expiration date of the PTP. Some Labour Offices don't grant work permits beyond the expiration date of the PTP. You've 1 year to get yourself the TCT teacher license, DG.

AFAIK, degree verification is only needed when changing a visa exemption/ tourist visa into a 90 days non-immigrant B visa.

Until now, I haven't heard or read that Labour requires degree verification when renewing the work permit.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  3. DigitalGypsy

Cheers for the reply Stamp, I'm going to check with my school about it tomorrow - something is def wrong with those dates.

I've got about a year left on my M.Ed to complete (teaching practicum and thesis) but I'm not sure all aspects will be done and dusted plus graduation over. In fact I'd say that's impossible.

Surely my enrollment in the M.Ed, it's near completion, and staying on at the same school will get me the 4th waiver if it comes to that, right?

4. Stamp

I don't think that a 4th provisional teaching permit in January 2018 won't be a problem given the M.Ed. near completion.

5. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Thailand is NOT a party to the apostille treaty so no worry about getting an apostille.

You MAY need to get your degree "authenticated".
    The how-to process varies from country to country.
    Once it (a certified copy of your degree) is "authenticated" you may need to get it stamped for use in Thailand at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at government complex.

You will probably need to get this done before you apply for your TCT license.
    An authenticated degree is a requirement.

Authentication is usually NOT needed for a simple extension.
    It is currently required for a change of status (tourist to non-B) at immigration IN Thailand.
    It is usually not usually required for a visa application at a consulate or embassy (like Laos or Penang).

6. DigitalGypsy

Just to add a bit more to this thread:

I decided to get my degree authenticated for my upcoming work permit renewal, it's going to set me back 1,800 baht (Irish embassy) - which I thought was a bit pricey for a bloody stamp. I'm assuming two copies would be double that price, or are they kind enough to give an extra copy free? They also require a typed and signed letter requesting authentication.

I'm not too sure about where to go at Changwattana however, any advice? I'll be staying on the BTS line near Siam, should I get a taxi from there to Chgwta?

What fees should I expect on the Thai side of things? Should I aim to get there early, and what kind of wait time for such a task?

I also forget how many photos I need to take for a work permit renewal, any ideas? I assume it's white background also?

Has anyone ever been asked for an authenticated police background check from their home country?

All info appreciated, cheers

DG

7. Stamp

If you renew a work permit, the current one is used and no new photos are needed.
    Never have been asked for it.