1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renewal of my Thai Driving Licence

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Makaveli, 30 Jun 2012.

1. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

If you are changing from a 1 year temporary licence to a 5 year licence you do not have to take any tests but if you are renewing a 5 year licence you do.

2. Makaveli

Makaveli Thread Starter aka 2Pac Staff Member

I will be renewing my current 5 year one to another 5 year one, let's see what happens....

3. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Hope everything goes ok for you.

4. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

This is me next month. I hope this stays the same.

5. Makaveli

I will let you know

6. keetao

keetao Guest

I renewed mine about a year ago and didn't have to do any extra tests nor have I ever heard of anyone being asked to retake tests unless their previous licence was out of date by a few years. Mine was very quick to renew, in and out within an hour.

7. Makaveli

Sounds good to me:smile2:

8. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I had to renew my one-year driving licence in March this year and actually had to take some kind of 'test'. I was shown a traffic light and was asked to say what colours were shown. As far as I remember the top light was yellow, the middle green and red at the bottom, probably to confuse colour blind people. That was it! It took less than 45 minutes to get the new licences for motorbikes and cars which are good for 5 years. Oh, I almost forgot, you need a doctor's certificate which I got from a practitioner in town for 80 Baht, I think. Photos were taken right there.

9. Makaveli

It will take a while for me to write all about it.
    I will get back to this Thread...but I did get it, but 4 hours later and lots of crap to go through....

10. Makaveli

Ok i will give this a go.

Arrived at the offices to renew my 5 year licence.
    Got there 8.30 am, passport, work permit, copies of both and a doctor's cert to say I was not dead:no:

Went to the 2nd floor, made out I couldn't speak Thai.
    Woman looked at my passport and said

" You no have NON Immigration visa, can not do 5 years'

If any of you look at your one year visa, it doesn't say anywhere NON Immigration.

ME: " I got a NON Immigration B visa here look (showed her the stamp) 9 years ago, then I got a work permit, which then gives you somthing called, an extension of stay, to the NON Immigration B visa, which I have done for 9 years at the same company with the same work permit"

The Woman: " No NON Immigration visa, can not do 5 years"
    Me " But you gave me 5 years, 5 years ago"

The Woman: " She make mistake before"

So I call my manageress, and got her on the phone to this woman.

The woman (on the phone to my Thai manageress, I can understand Thai very well, so I listen) :" New rules, falang have one year visa, then driving licence can only be one year"
    WTF, 100% opposite to what she'd told me.

My manageress, talked to her and got her to make an exception to this 'New' no existant rule, BUT only if I did what all the other Thai's were gong to be doing and do some tests and watch a one hour film.

Fair enough I said, I want it so if this is the case so be it.

I stuck to my guns and wouldn't speak Thai, went up to the 3rd floor, did around 3 different color test things, an alinement test then sat and waited with the other 30 or so Thai's ready to go and watch this film.

In the room we went, they had to mess around for 10 mins to find the film with English subs for me.
    They found it and put it on.

One hour of crap, some really perfect husband, wife and daughter, who are living this perfect life, the husband if the best driver ever.
    Then there is the 'bad boy' guy, racing car, divorced, with his 8 year old boy living with him.
    Lots of stuff about rd safety, the bad guy has an accident and his son ends up with brain damage.
    His had is so sad that he caused this.

Anyway, it finishes and we all go downstairs.
    I think there were 2 groups, cos it looked like around 50 or so people sat waiting.
    Just the one person calling out the names, then taking the money, then teling you to go and wait to get your 'Smart Card, driving licence'

I waited and freaking waited,I was nearly the last, by this time it was 11.30am.
    I'd not had a smoke for hours:hilarious:

She called my name, I got to the counter, she asked for my passport (this was a different woman than 3 hours ago) and then she looked in the passport and said:

" No NON Immigration visa, can not have 5 years"

WTF, :lostit:

I pointed out what had gone off 3 hours ago, so she stood up and went over to that I think was some kind of boss.
    I waited and watched, they spoke, and then the 'boss' called someone.
    10 mins later she came back and asked for 505 B, I guessed that meant it was all ok, so I paid her.

I went over and waited to get my smart card driving licence, and sure enough got it with 5 years on it.
    Oh BTW, they didn't want my doctors cert, they said no need....lol...

Finally left around 12.30pm or 1pm I can't really remember, I do remember smoking like a chimney once I got out of there though..

So that's the story.
    I am sure more up class cities things aren't as bad, but our city this is how it is.
    Good luck to the next teacher who goes...lol

I haven't read the above, any Moderator is welcome to edit any spelling or grammar mistakes

:celebrate:

11. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Ouch - really has me looking forward to my renewal next month. What kind of hell will I be put through going from the temporary to a five year?

12. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

Maka, That's the same as I had to go through apart from the nasty woman, I was never questioned about my visa. My co worker (Thai teacher) he tried to avoid it but could not. The plus side is they made a mistake on the dates and I ended up with 6 years not 5 :smile2:

Did you do this at BKK ? where?

any way done now for 5 years :smile2:

13. Makaveli

In Ayutthaya mate:smile2:

I forgot to mention, the English subs for the film were actually very well done, I don't think I read one mistake during the hour of it :hilarious:

14. colonol

colonol New Member

Just got a 5 yr bike and car licence at the place near bang chak bts. I previously had the temporary one.

I needed two copies of the following:
    Picture page of passport and work permit, latest stamps on both, medical. They filled out the app forms in Thai, I just had to sign them. I then did the tests and paid the fees.

Sent from my vivo Xshot using Tapatalk

Stamp likes this.
  15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

^ Me last week renew 5 year car licence. Easy as, brake test, colours with one eye closed, 40 minute video for anubaan kids, job done ...in and out under 2 hours.

Oh yep, paperwork ...copy of passport main page and current visa, copy of WP 4 pages in all, and 50 baht medical cert.
    :thumbs up