1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red flags in a job ad

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by Clown, 6 May 2014.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

What's up, everybody?

I keep hearing tales of schools and universities timing their firings perfectly as to avoid paying for holidays etc. Now what's the likelihood of this school paying the WP and other fees after the completion?!?

Call me cynical, but I've been bitten too many times and am now twice shy.

"We require a full time English teacher to teach Matthayom 1- 6 or secondary level. The salary is 15,000 baht per month for 12 months. Our school is in Thunghuachang district in Lamphun, Northern Thailand. The successful teacher will be somebody who is energetic and responsible for teaching. School is responsible for non-B visa and work permit fee after the contact is completed also lunch and accommodation are provided. Original education transcript and certificate must be presented for contact."

2. Mr Pete

Mr Pete Active Member

I would say that if they contract is renewed after 12-months then the money originally used for with Visa/WP will just be used to renew those again too. If the teacher doesn't want to renew the contract. Then who knows if the teacher will get the money back? Even if it's in the contract doesn't mean that they would. It's a gamble.

3. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Nothing that would interest me on a number of levels but to answer your question.

Experience not teaching, but living here...

<3%

I doubt they would fire you, just no intention of actually paying out.

No idea who they are trying to attract with that package in such a remote place. Can't be NES.

Sad really.

4. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Am pretty sure that a WP has to be paid for by the employer. Who ever heard of an employee financing the WP's fee?!?

5. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Me. I did that first year here in Thailand.

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Any sources for this knowledge, Clown?

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

I have done quite a bit of NES and NNES hiring. If we look on the other side of the coin we see many English teachers who leave after 2 weeks/1 term/6 months/nine months and the school is left with Parents who have paid for English lessons but no teacher.

Not a perfect situation I agree but let's not forgot what has happened to get to this point.

8. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

While I have found nothing to suggest that the employer has to pay for the WP. However, it does seem to be common practice. I have asked 2 different admins and gotten two different answers - one being that it is the employer's responsibility, the other that the employer can decide to pay or not pay for the WP.

Having said that, given that nearly 3/4 of employers DO pay for WPs, I would think there is a mechanism in place that encourages employers to do so - legal or otherwise. If it were simply a matter of the employer deciding whether or not to pay, I find it highly unlikely that so many would do so of their own volition.