1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof claimed for deep connection between primes

Discussion in 'The Library' started by THX 1133, 12 Sep 2012.

1. THX 1133

THX 1133 Thread Starter Active Member

If it is true, a solution to the abc conjecture about whole numbers would be an ‘astounding’ achievement.

Philip Ball
    10 September 2012

The usually quiet world of mathematics is abuzz with a claim that one of the most important problems in number theory has been solved.

Mathematician Shinichi Mochizuki of Kyoto University in Japan has released a 500-page proof of the abc conjecture, which proposes a relationship between whole numbers — a 'Diophantine' problem.

The abc conjecture, proposed independently by David Masser and Joseph Oesterle in 1985, might not be as familiar to the wider world as Fermat’s Last Theorem, but in some ways it is more significant. “The abc conjecture, if proved true, at one stroke solves many famous Diophantine problems, including Fermat's Last Theorem,” says Dorian Goldfeld, a mathematician at Columbia University in New York. “If Mochizuki’s proof is correct, it will be one of the most astounding achievements of mathematics of the twenty-first century.”

For the rest of the article;
    Proof claimed for deep connection between primes : Nature News Comment

I wish I could say I understood this, but I don't. I can follow just so far and then need help.
    This is for the ones like me, who are interested in things beyond their comprehension. :happy1:

2. crew

crew Faber College Member

thank you for that. i was beginning to feel like a real ignoramus.

Many mathematicians have expended a great deal of effort trying to prove the conjecture. In 2007, French mathematician Lucien Szpiro, whose work in 1978 led to the abc conjecture in the first place claimed to have a proof of it, but it was soon found to be flawed.

only slightly more embarrassing than being proven wrong on an internet forum. :smile2:

3. THX 1133

THX 1133 Thread Starter Active Member

Yeah, kinda hard not to get too invested in the life of the forum; but in the end not too serious. We all have our moments (believe me I know) but life and forums go on...
    Now, to that abc conundrum; I'm waiting for Wang or Umbuku to wade in with a layman's understanding.
    Maybe a wait too far, no? :celebrate:

4. Thinkingofachange

Thinkingofachange New Member

I'd appreciate some simple explanation, too; I'd love to know if this has any real-world implications.