1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primitive Internet Report

Discussion in 'The Movie and Television Lounge' started by ramses, 21 Jan 2014.

1. ramses

ramses Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A KRON reporter does a segment on the early days of the internet. While it is easy to smirk because the reporter is so dismissive of the internet, the lengths the newspapers went to at the time shows the amount of foresight and dedication the early players had. I am not sure that reporters are cut from the same cloth....

[video=youtube;5WCTn4FljUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WCTn4FljUQ[/video]

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I remember very well reading Doonesbury and having know no idea of what "the web" was.

I remember when newscasters first began adding web addresses.

And I remember what an ordeal I had just getting onlne for the first time. It began in Thailand, was frustrated in California, and finally happened in Korea. I still remember what I thought .jpg stood for. This first exposure was on Windows 98 running Internet Explorer in Korean. My previous experience had been with DOS v.2.11.

My first computer was an Atari 800XL. Does anybody pre-date that?

ramses likes this.
  3. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Commodore C64. Must have been about the same time. At first, programs were stored on tape cassettes, later on a floppy drive.

ramses likes this.
  4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yup. My first computer was a whacking best part of 200 quid in 1982 ! A Dragon 32 .... for you youngsters not 32 GB ...not 32 MB ..... 32 KB ....yup the whole thing lol.

The mind boggles when you see the advancement of computers over the last 32 years (damn I'm getting old).

However, this was a great comp to have and you had to learn to program ...all too damned lazy nowadays LOL.

BTW: The Dragon 32 is in my mom and dad's loft in the UK .... any takers ? lol

ramses likes this.