1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preposition 58 passed in California

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by bahn_farang, 9 Nov 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Although I must profess to not knowing what the goodness will happen know to the US now they have a new president with senate and congress to boot, I must say I am happy that California passed Preposition 58. The preposition allows for the use of native language in the acquisition of English.

See here for a good summary

California Proposition 58, Non-English Languages Allowed in Public Education (2016) - Ballotpedia

Those who have completed or are doing the Nottingham PGCEi will remember that Jim Cummins' work strongly supports the use of L1 for the acquisition of L2 and that premature immersion programs result in students possessing the ability to speak but not write the English language with sufficient fluency.

With the preposition there is hope that language will not be used to keep immigrants to the US down and that they will get the sufficient support to succeed.

Having said that I will see what President Donald does!

It is also nice that Ron Unz lost. From what I have read a horrible little man.

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I'm from California.

I think you mean Proposition 58.

Attached Files:

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I'm from London.

Yes I do, what are your thoughts on the proposition being passed?