1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing students for the School of Life.

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 12 Feb 2017.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Wangsuda likes this.
  2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

South Korea is denying entry to around 130 Thai citizens per day because the Thais are economic migrants who want to work as unskilled laborers on farms. Many of them just have enough money for a one-way ticket. They tend to make around 45,000 Baht per month (equivalent), or more if their bosses treat them well. Illegal factory workers can make a good wage too, compared to normal jobs in Thailand.

That so many people have to leave Thailand and get jobs as servants, house cleaners, farm laborers, construction workers, or sex workers--anything to survive--should tell you all you need to know about Thailand's broken system. At some point you would think that a sense of anger and shame would arise. What I think is particularly shameful is the number of women who go outside Thailand to work in menial jobs or worse. My wife was just telling me about a woman she knows who went to South Korea to work on a farm raising vegetables. She is doing it to support her family. I hear these stories and I wonder where are the men. Leaders in Thailand might think they have a lid on it, but I would not bet that this continues forever.

If China, South Korea, Vietnam, and Malaysia all continue to prosper and modernize, but Thailand goes backwards into lower standards of education and a weaker economy, something will eventually crack.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2017
  3. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

The BKK Post is famous for discontinuing links to past stories. Here is the story, in case the link doesn't work:
    I can hardly wait for the day when the BKK Post (and that other newspaper) realize that one sentence does not a paragraph make.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Trink? Is he even still alive? And Crutch? 20 years ago, I lived for their columns.