1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prep time

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Joko, 23 Oct 2016.

1. Joko

Joko Thread Starter Active Member

I'm just curious as to how much time my colleagues spend preparing to teach.

Me, I like to get about half the time prepping as I spend in the classroom. In other words, I like an hour to get ready for a two hour class. Lately, I've been more diligent about hanging on to supplemental materials from one term to the next, so I have less to hunt down, so I can focus more on the photocopying and cutting up little bits of paper aspect our profession.

I'm asking in the context of a short term assignment that starts this week. A corporate gig with an NGO which is going to include 36 teaching hours a week. I want to add as little prep time to that hour count as possible.

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I spend half a day on one class.
    I go through all the exercises, even though I'll actually do only a small handful. I also need to be ready if there's no AV.
    Other classes are less time consuming.
    I spend from the length of the class to double on prep, i.e., if it's a two hour class I'll prepare for two to four hours. The oddball is double to triple, or four to six hours, to do. One small factor that consumes a little time is that the audio track is for the entire unit and I need to write down the time at which each sequence begins.

I'm happy to do this. I cannot overstate the difference between these PRC girls/young adults and the hooligans I had in the private boys school I've left behind.

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Our staff teach for 18 hours per week. They have 22 hours per week for other tasks such as planning, prep, materials creation, marking, reports, etc.
    They typically only teach one grade level in their one subject so they would need to make 5 lesson plans per week with possibly 4 adaptations (minor chances to adapt the lesson for each class).

On a personal level I usually spend about 1/2 to 1 hour of planning and prep for each hour of class time. Some classes require less prep than others simply because I have a broad base of materials at hand so can spend less time in material creation.

4. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

I teach about 32 hours a week, and have only about 120 mins a week to prepare. I have another 120 minutes where I have to be in meetings. I also have 40 minutes before classes that I have free. I have some material saved as notebook presentations, websites, books, worksheets from the last few years which saves some time.

5. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

the more you teach, the less prep time you need.

what i think matters most is the prep time done at the beginning of the term. in some cases, like in a language school, you dont have terms with tests and all...and that factors in greatly to the outlook and forecast of time and planning.

a well planned class should have a cohesive idea at the onset...week 1, kinda thing. the prep time after that is just sorting things out and arranging activities according to the plan.

i teach reading this term. my planning time is minimal because i spent considerable time training my students to get into routines as soon as possible, which still took 2 weeks. learning how to summarize and generate a main idea, learning vocab (he we do it in class) and working with the grammar of the reading all takes time to train them what to do, what to look for, and how to do the classwork generally.

now, in the 6th week of an 8 week term, my planning is simply looking at my week's lesson outline (broad plan about where we're going and exam times and such) and then off to class. the students know what to do, i've read the readings and have prepared the grammar and vocab paperwork.

its not a perfect class and i have ideas to teach it different next time, but the students are on task and learning to digest what are relatively difficult readings (oxford's Inside Reading series)

...next time around i will do less supplemental activities and more focusing on how the paragraphs are constructed, a kind of glimpse into organization. this term we are focused on main idea and simple deconstruction of the readings to get gist. also the course book focuses on the grammar of key words, so i spend time on that.

every class has its own needs. but a good, thoughtful plan at the beginning can set the stage for an easy time...or if you didnt plan well, can make the following weeks like trying to walk uphill with banana peel shoes. begin with your end-state or goal in mind and the reverse engineer the class. that there, is your planning. so then, when you're in the thick of week-to-week "hand to hand combat" you arent spending time trying to conceptualize things, but are spending time resting and focusing on your "local" teaching issues like speed of your voice, grammar of the content, etc.

:cheers: