1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posting a video of students on YouTube...

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 28 Jan 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

I've made ( actually to show them to my boss) and uploaded two movies, but wanted to let some people watch something that will/would make many people speechless.

I'm talking about a grade two class with various students who do not only have some learning disorders. Both movies are a nightmare for any teacher on this planet.

But considering that I'll be leaving the school anyway, there's no point of showing the director what shouldn't be.

You can lead a horse to a pond, but you can't make it drink.

What's the legal side on this? Thanks a lot for any useful input, the web page is only visible for me right now.

I think a file sharing program would be a much better alternative? :cursing:sleep

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

3. sirchai

Thanks a lot for your fast reply, I already had a bad feeling when I thought about a movie that will be on the net forever.

I found a better solution to show it to some people and will create a new e-mail address using Hotmail which comes with 5 GB of One Drive space.

Then I can upload them and give those I'd like to watch it the link, which includes some guys on this forum as well.

Sorry, that would be a great mistake and very unprofessional. Thanks again and a lovely rest of the weekend.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Sharing video or photos, even to anyone on this site would be a gross error of responsibility. As a teacher, parents put their trust in you to protect their children. I would suggest you do not record students without the express and informed consent of parents.

covertjay and sirchai like this.
  5. sirchai

Again, thanks for your response and I totally agree with your input on that.

But I'd like to give you some background information about this class that you at least understand my point of view, including the ways I've tried almost all to keep them interested in learning and also my Thai colleagues seem to have enormous difficulties with quite a lot of students of this class.

Unfortunately, is their way of "keeping them quiet" a route I'd never ever go, by beating them with a bamboo stick, or sometimes even with their bare hands on their heads.

And that in a country where we foreigners are told that the head of someone is the sacred place of a human body?

The problems were never discussed in a meeting, the letter where I was asking for a meeting to discuss the problems the program is facing, maybe never made it to the director.

Khun XXX, a young and very enthusiastic Thai English teacher has quit her teaching position after only one year teaching this let's call it "Special Class." She couldn't get any more of that bullshit.

She then told the superiors that she wouldn't be able to control this class and started to work at a school 70 km away from her hometown and her mother is taking care of her little daughter on weekdays now.

The homeroom teachers of three EP classes have to teach other classes, which is basically a huge mistake. Once the homeroom teacher leaves the kids alone, the noise level even tops five jet engines.

The "movie trick" has worked for the grade three class two years ago and only showing their parents and them a short clip how badly they behaved, helped.

I've read so many books about different teaching techniques, this and that approach, but this class makes you understand that you'll never reach your goal that all of them are actually learning much from you. No matter how much time you've invested and regardless of how long you've been teaching in this country.

Apparently, such problems are foreseeable at a school where no entrance examination takes place, nor certain psychological problems of some students are taken seriously.

No assistant teacher works there longer than a month, teaching this class alone is a complete nightmare. And the worst about all is that nobody gives a flying kangaroo about all the problems that are visible to anyone who visits the school.

I've decided to show the movie to my sister only using a file sharing program and considering that I won't be there next academic year, it's now time for me to move on.

The movies with both films on it will be my goodbye present to the director of the institution who only seems to care about his own well-being and of course his wealth.

I thought that such a movie, seen by some of the experienced guys on this forum, would have helped to find a solution to the problem(s).

But I'm afraid it's already too late now and it's time to let them deal with it.

The uploaded and private movies on YouTube are already deleted and npobody will ever see them. Thanks and a great Sunday.