1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post, post graduate

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by bahn_farang, 20 Jul 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Portnoy69, could you transfer Nottingham PGCEi credits to the UCL MA and if so was a discount offered?

2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I didn't explore transfer credits. In theory you can but the only possibilities I could see where for core modules which are mandatory. So didn't bother....

3. bahn_farang

Thank you Portnoy69.

The UCL London option looks comprehensive and as the leading force, although reflected in the price, certainly looks a more than attractive offer.

Bath has the lure of applicability in reference to the international school community.

Nottingham has the appeal of familiarity, not to mention pricing which would allow a standard of living above and beyond the frugal necessities of both Bath and UCL.

Although I have the full license (thanks to Stamp :celebrate1:love2) a combination of interest and self challenge draws me to continual development.

portnoy58 likes this.
  4. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

11,000 pounds for a one year degree? Guess education is only for the chosen few (rich) again...

5. bahn_farang

When I go to a hotel I realise that the room in which I stay is not the most expensive, just as I know the car I drive is certainly not the priciest. I make a value judgement based on perceived quality and my other financial commitments.

Post graduate education / post undergraduate education is little different. There are cheaper options. I am certainly not suggesting that there is a direct correlation between price and quality. I will say that I am adamant that undergraduate studies should be free and available to all purses, it pleases me that the Liberals in the UK are now sinking into oblivion after their disgusting you turn on university fees just to get into a coalition.

Back on point there are, as is well known to members and frequent visitors to this site, many options some more expensive than others to develop oneself as a teacher, and with that in mind I, respectfully, find it a little unfair that you paint with such a broad brush when you say education is only for the rich.

The course which you quote appears to be comprehensive offering from one of the best universities in the field and I for one will hold judgement until further feedback from those taking the course.

6. portnoy58

It's not a one year degree if the reference is to he UCL IOE Masters. Theoretically it can be done in one year but that would require completion of four modules and a 20,000 word dissertation. I would say virtually impossible to do this unless you were full time and were eligible for exemption.

I haven't a pot to piss in! My financial situation is very insecure and largely based on being able to keep working and stay healthy. So long as I can do both we ( the missus and I ) should be able to finance this course and everything else including the two kids. But it is, at one level, a relatively high risk strategy, but so far so good.

At this point this course is only beginning. Starting Monday I'll be tuning into a two week live lecture series from London for the initial module What is Education? This will feature contributions from some giants: Michael Young, Stephen Ball, Michael Riess to name but a few. Basically they have assembled experts in a variety of academic fields who will talk on their field: epistemology, sociology of education, curriculum studies, global education etc.

This is very different to the Nottingham modules, for instance, which were entirely based on readings and multimedia; I think there was one recorded lecture. Outside of the four day face to face event it had no live content and I doubt whether you could call the face to face event a lecture series; more like a training course. Obviously comparisons between both have limited value because they are not like for like. I loved the Nottingham course and I wouldn't be doing this new course unless I had started here.

Personally I am highly motivated to continue my education for a number of reasons and it's a bit like the climbers' response to the question why do you climb mountains? Because they are there!

7. bahn_farang

Looking forward to reports tomorrow Portnoy58

8. portnoy58

Well bahn_farang it all worked seamlessly really. In fact it was pretty amazing tuning into a live lecture in London and being able to participate. I don't know how many students were in the lecture room but there were four of us online and we even did a little group activity together in our own private 'virtual' room and reported back to the rest of the group. The lecturer also brought us into discussions and we could speak and type and presumably all our comments were being projected into the lecture room like a sort of twitter feed. My seven year old stole the show as he can only associate me talking into the computer with Skype phone calls back home to relatives and friends in the UK so he sat on my lap in the hope of sparking up a conversation with one of his aunties; unexpectedly I was brought into a discussion, and they click on your camera and mic to enable live participation, and I could hear the sighs as his mug was projected, ( he's a very handsome little fella). We were discussing whether education is like an industrial process and the lecturer indicated that I had my own product with me! It was really surprisingly good. I think that is in large part down to the lecture/module leader who has gone to great lengths to bring people in and make every one feel welcome.

It is difficult to hear the discussion in the lecture room because only the lecturer is miked up but there is someone typing in a live feed which helps.

Early doors, bahn_farang, but positive impressions.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2016
    bahn_farang and po3try like this.
  9. portnoy58

An update on the above post: here is a copy of an email I received in my IOE/UCL email account this morning. This is really wild and must be one of the pleasantest coincidences in my little life!

Hello Teacher ********,

I just saw you online during today's What is Education session and realise that
    you taught me at ************* school! I was very surprised!! I don't think you remember me
    because you just taught me for a semester. I think that it was before you left
    the school. Perhaps you may remember some of my classmates who had studied
    there longer than me. I was in the same class with ******, ******, ********,
    ********, etc. Will you come to London to study the module? I think it would be a
    great experience for me to study in the same class with my teacher. ^^

************​

I am just so thrilled this student has got out from under so to speak and that Thai students, educated at home in Thailand without the million baht style school, can make it in the real world. This student is doing this module to complete her MA in TESOL and then plans to return to Thailand to teach English. I am deeply cynical about the system here but I must confess this student's progression gives me a real sense of hope for the future.

But a really amazing coincidence.

10. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

that's amazing, so nice that they not only remembered you but took the time to email you as well.

portnoy58 likes this.
  11. bahn_farang

Great to hear that it went well and it certainly would appear that the program is off to a great start. A little piece of me wanted it not to be good! Then I could have easily scratched the most expensive option off the list, now I'm left scratching my head as to where I'm going to get the cash to do it!

12. bahn_farang

Just a little update, just submitted my 4th and last assignment. Feels good to have got through it. I used to think that online learning was a bit of waste of time. I stand corrected.

The Nottingham PGCEi has been a truly wonderful experience. it is well worth the money and considerable invest in time.

Highlights for me:

Tutor: I lucked out with my tutor who was direct, helpful, insightful but didn't hold my hand. Her feedback was detailed and always provided new avenues of enquiry.

Applied learning: The mix of theory and practise have meant that I have been able to use what I have learned in my classroom.

Access to Journals: As an avid reader the ability to dive into work related learning has been really interesting.

I am still undecided as the next step. Bath, Nottingham or IOE. Fortunate to be in a position to be able to do any of the three.

Looks like it is decision time very soon.

Stamp, professeur and kruhjoe like this.
  13. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your laudable achievement!

bahn_farang likes this.
  14. bahn_farang

Thank you Kruhjoe for your note.

I still remember your summary site which if memory serves me right I used to pass the TCT tests so thank you again!

kruhjoe likes this.
  15. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bahn_farang!
    It was a long time ago.

The site is still up and running: TCT Test - Reference Materials . God knows when we might need it again! :shhh

bahn_farang likes this.