1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pondering the next step...Info needed on teaching in China and the Gulf States.

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by DigitalGypsy, 4 Jan 2017.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sounds quite the professional package, which is exactly what I would be looking for further down the line. The buffoonery that goes on here in 'Disneyland' often drives me up the wall, not to mention the type of foreign teachers I've had to deal with. I've never met such a cesspit for selfish, self-absorbed, duplicitous, immature, and self-serving people in all my life (there are exceptions of course, but most experiences have been unsavory). It beggars belief the substandard efforts that people put in here and expect some sort of praise for, even common courtesy is found wanting. If there's anything that will drive me to relocate then it's foreign idiotic nonsense as a main contender.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, you stated that your Thai wife was with you? If I were to relocate I would also be doing so accompanied by my wife. I'm assuming that your spouse cannot work there so what does she do to occupy herself throughout the day? How does she find it, is she reasonably happy and contented? Is her visa tied to yours? By that I mean do you both enter, leave, renew visas on the same date? How long does her initial visa last for and is it possible for her to extend within the country?

DG

2. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should clarify:

When I said 'foreign' I meant non-Thai, as in western imposters :hilarious

3. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

She spends my money!

She really likes it here. If you use a VPN, the internet is open. There is a lot of nice food here, and stores that sell some Thai stuff. I am in a city of 2.5 million. They call it a small town.

Yes. The spouse applies for an S1 visa, which is for the spouse of a foreign expert, and then she gets a residence permit which ends on the same day as yours. Your school should pay for yours.

Yes. Once you get your residence permit you can enter and leave the country all you want. Also note that you will get a Foreign Expert Certificate, and you must have that completed and entered into the computer system before you apply for your residence permit.

I believe that the S1 lasts for 1 year, but this is not the point. The visa (your Z and her S1) allows one into the country. Then you apply for your residence permit after your health check is done. Both do the health check. The renewal is easy. You do the health check again, take photos, and pay 800 Yuan for your spouse. The point is this:
    China makes it easy for you to bring your spouse. They want foreign experts to come, and they recognize that bringing spouses is important.

Note:
    I did not come to China at the same time as my spouse. I came first and got settled in. After I got my Chinese Residence Permit we got her S1 visa as the spouse of a foreign expert. It was not difficult at all. Don't forget to check in at the local police office on the day that your spouse arrives. If it is late, check into a hotel and make sure that they register her into the police system. Almost all big hotels have such a system.

=======================================================================

I am only here temporarily. I can understand someone feeling frustrated with teaching or living in Thailand, but try to look on the bright side. Once you leave you will see that it was not all so bad, and that your new place has different challenges. No one twisted our arms to be where we are, right? It is all a learning experience.

China has rip-offs, bad recruiters, and some bad schools. I have never encountered anything negative here, nor have I met anyone who is not satisfied. It is a good place to work, in my experience. It took me some time to get used to the horrible taxi rides and the ATMs that scream at you and the filthy bathrooms and general rawness of things and people, but it has a positive side too. China is a huge country, as we all know, and your experience may vary depending on where you go. I came to a gritty city that has grown on me. It is not Beverly Hills. But some places, especially some parts of certain cities, are quite sophisticated--blink and you will think you are in France. At some point, I will be coming back to Thailand as a tutor, and I am looking forward to that. Until then, I plan on enjoying things here as much as I can and travelling around inside the country. Coming here has been one of the best decisions of my life.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2017