1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-B Police Clearance Document required at Embassy in Vientiane, Laos

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Stamp, 19 Jul 2015.

1. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I don't mind the criminal background check, in fact, I have been surprised they hadn't asked for it before. What is a pisser is that they blindsided everyone, teachers, schools, agencies, with the last minute emergency change with little fanfare. Their website made no mention of it this week and when my wife called immigration here, they said they didn't require it but Laos might. Communication is terrible here.

Jimcarr65 likes this.
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I'll be keeping my eyes open about criminal record checks for O visas: obtaining one at an embassy and extending it in Thailand.

It appears that the prudent thing to do is to make an annual event of ordering a criminal background check from ones home country so one always has a current copy. Hopefully, it will fulfill the "pedophile check" for teachers requirement as well.

3. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

Looking at jobs around Asia, most want a criminal background check. Thailand still accepts you if you are breathing. As I said, I don't mind the checks. Just didn't care for being blindsided.

4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

Cal Roy likes this.
  5. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Thanks. I can edit now.
    :smile

Stamp likes this.
  6. Jimcarr65

Jimcarr65 Member

I was also refused a Non-B Visa back in March for not having the Police Clearance Report and the Original Letter from Educational Service Area Office to Royal Thai Consular section. I have since obtained the letter and went to the Police Clearance Center in Bangkok and in two weeks time went back and picked up the report. Also, look at the document they gave back to me to go by, no mention of the WP3 form. Is this because it is a Private School? Who knows. Very frustrating as now I need to go back through the whole process again. NonBprivate.jpg

7. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

I have been to Laos twice now and today asked for an extension on my tourist visa...reason for first Laos excursion. I got this small square from the official who checked my papers and thus didn't pay for nothing... ;)

[​IMG]

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  8. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I should go back to Laos with my soon to be arriving pol clear cert... I guess it all depends on how many days will be left on my tourist visa. Sigh.

9. Jimcarr65

Jimcarr65 Member

Thanks for a clear picture of the paper they gave you, my picture was not very clear. I was told that either a police report from your home country or the police clearance from the Thai Police Clearance Center in Bangkok would be sufficient. It took two weeks exactly to receive mine back. I had to go pick it up.

Mati likes this.
  10. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

WP.3 form is a kind of receipt that proves applicant pre-applied for a work permit. It's not related to a government or private school. However, haven't heard this requirement currently being enforced.

Jimcarr65 likes this.
  11. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was refused today for not having a recent enough police check. I presume he will have to come back in to Thailand on a tourist visa and apply for a police check at Bangkok HQ. It will be his second tourist visa in a row, is he likely to have any problems? I remember they had a big clampdown last year on visa runs. He's not a visa runner as such, his TCT waiver ran out sooner than he thought and he's had to start afresh and apply for a Non immigrant visa in Laos. It really is silly that you can't just apply for one whilst inside Thailand.

12. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so. On another forum it's reported that problems may occur after the fourth tourist visa.

Please note that when your friend is going to convert his tourist visa into a non-immigrant B at Immigration HQ, he might be required to submit a degree verification.

Non-B - Changing Tourist Visa into Non-B - Degree Verification might be required | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Hey_ewe likes this.
  13. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Going by that post, it looks like you can change a tourist visa to a Non Immigrant B visa at Bangkok Immigration Chang Watana, rather than going to Laos. I had heard a rumour of that before, is that true? That might save him a long round trip.

14. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

It's true. I've done this many times. There needs to be x number of days remaining on his tourist visa though. Last year, I applied for a visa extension on my tourist visa and converted it to a non b on the same day.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  15. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Thanks for the laugh. You can't make such a story up. Glad that you didn't encounter being a "men toy boy".