1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-B Police Clearance Document required at Embassy in Vientiane, Laos

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Stamp, 19 Jul 2015.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

It has been reported that applicants for a non-immigrant B visa for teaching in Vientiane, Laos were refused the visa because lacking the Police Clearance Check. In several threads on this forum we could read about it when changing a tourist visa into a non-immigrant B visa but that the rule is now enforced at the Embassy in Laos is new. For the record the rule is old but was never enforced.

post-205916-0-44633200-1436850700_thumb.jpg

Just be warned.

Criminal Police Check & Non-B's to teach ? - Teaching in Thailand Forum - Thailand Forum

sirchai and Mati like this.
  2. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Stamp. I notice from that sign that there is a requirement for the WP3 document (ตท.3). That appears to be a Work Permit application form. See here: http://115.31.136.62/sites/default/files/Form_tt3.pdf

If so, can anybody explain to me why a completed work permit application form would be required to get a Non-immigrant B visa outside the country? And is it a new requirement when getting a visa?

3. Stamp

A WP.3 is not a completed work permit application. It's a kind of pre-application. It's used to 'prove' that you'll be eligible for a work permit when the appropriate permission of stay in the Kingdom (Working of Alien Act BE 2551) is obtained.

The WP.3 requirement is an old requirement but like the police clearance check an until now not enforced one.

4. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Thanks, Stamp.
    Just to be clear, I didn't mean a completed work permit application. What I meant was a work permit application form that had been completed/filled in.
    It seems to me that pre-application 'proof' just adds to the difficulties of obtaining the visa and adds another layer of bureaucracy (pre-application proof and documentation and application proof and documentation). Perhaps soon it will all be an efficient one-stop process. Or perhaps not.

5. Stamp

In return of the WP.3 application form you'll get a WP.3 certificate.

post-51519-0-07768400-1385535223 (1).jpg

I believe when applying for the visa, a copy of the WP.3 application form has also to be submitted.

It's an extra check on applying for a non-immigrant B visa AND working legally.

As I said before, these are old rules. As far as I can recall, the rules go back to at least 2012 and perhaps 2010 but they were never enforced.

Mati likes this.
  6. Stamp

Perhaps in the future
    - WP. 3
    - Police Clearance Check
    - Degree verification letter and/ or certification/ affidavit by the Embassy.

7. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

At the consulate in Laos? That seems a bit odd to me as it's a Department of Employment form, which I seem to recall being issued at the Labour Office/Employment Office when applying for a Work Permit.

I understand that, Stamp. I'm not against it in principle, and I can guess at the reason for applying it, but the Labour Office/Employment Office will do the same thing. And as we all know, it won't actually prevent illegal working in Thailand.

8. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

There's a mistake in my post above but I don't seem to have permission to edit it even only seconds after posting it. Bizarre.

9. Stamp

I'll have a look. The window is set at 60 minutes.

10. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I can run a background check on myself from the US for about $20. I will do that and bring it along.

11. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

If you're referring to a CJIS/FBI check, it can take awhile to receive.

If you're splitting on Thursday, I don't see an alternative to a marriage O.

Your visa might be ready for its own odyssey thread.

12. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Some of them have been around since 2004-2006 when the changes to the rules for teachers was announced (don't remember the specifics and too lazy to look them up since it really doesn't matter).

There was a lot of noise on the various forums at the time over the changes and the "new requirements". There was some hew and cry about it driving "teachers" out of Thailand since those who met the requirements could get better money in places like Korea and China and wouldn't come to Thailand.

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Not to go off topic, and certainly not to hijack the thread - but, there is a contingent that whinges every time the wind changes direction, and it is the same mantra they keep repeating. Yet, they somehow seem to always be here.

Back on topic -
    When I was in Prachin it was my understanding that the Police Background Check was a Thai thing that could be done by border patrol / immi near the border. It is to see if there is any reason you should be a persona non grata. My first WP in 2006 or 7 was like that. The immi guy @ Aranyaphratet asked if I had run afoul of Thai authorities, and then took a look at something on his computer (I could not see what it was - but he said it was a list of foreigners who are not welcome in the kingdom). He told me I was good to go. I've never been asked for anything from either the Thai side or from the US since.

14. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

One chorus of "Those Were the Days My Friend." I was turned down in Laos Thursday and told to go back to Bangkok with a tourist visa so I can get my police check. He made no offer to run to the border patrol for assistance. Old rules are new rules.
    On the other hand, I did manage to get out of Thailand without a hassle for my long past visa since I didn't have a cancellation letter from my former employer. So I managed to save 20k and a chance to be a boy toy in jail for a few nights. He kept saying "ekason may mee?" to which I replied' "my mee." He shook his head, stamped the visa and I was off and running.

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  15. Stamp

Good to hear in regards to the 'overstay'.

Please note that there are some 'new' rules for changing a tourist visa into a non-immigrant B visa. Please search our forum for the relevant threads.

sirchai and Cal Roy like this.