1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please never fly with Lufthansa....

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sirchai, 19 May 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I made the big mistake to buy an economy ticket when I had to got for some surgeries after a motorcycle accident in Thailand. The implanted plate was a total joke and the Tibia head looked more than funny.

Then I received a very serious "Staphylococcus Aureus infection from the hospital and almost lost my leg. My planned stay of max. 5 months didn't work out and I sent a doctor's note to Lufthansa stating what went wrong.

It took more than one month to receive an e-mail saying: "We're very sorry that we can't give you a later date to fly back to Thailand, but we're more than happy if you buy a new ticket from us. "

There were a lot of extra seats in the economy class, I sat with my back to the toilet wall, the food was nasty and the crew so arrogant that also some other passengers filed complaints.

I wrote a note at trip adviser and found a funny one of a Brit who must have been as disappointed as I was.

Please read: ( A very unsatisfied Lufthansa customer from the UK)

The title sums it up really, my own fault I guess as you get what you pay for.I generally travel with BA but I had left it too late to book this trip.Last time I couldn't get a seat on a BA flight I chanced it with Jet2 and it had been ok, cheap and cheerful but ok so assumed I would be ok with Lufthansa too. How wrong can you be?.Customer service was very much lacking verging on plain rude during embarkation, food was totally unacceptable and choice almost none existent. Entertainment was very poor (fortunately I always bring a good book on flights anyway). I felt the entire experience was very poor in comparrison to even Jet2 who were actually quite good. I would never use this airline again and have also found out today that they are the only airline who have agreed to transport dogs to China to supply the gambeling and meat trade. This disgusts me even more than my own experience of flying with them,but perhaps the dogs will be able to eat their aircraft meals. Never again.

2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Speaking of airlines not to fly on, let's mention Nok Air.

Airplane safety is not time for mai pen rai.

The ICAO has a scale on which to rank airline safety. Nok Air has earned a 2 out of 7--this puts it on par with several dodgy carriers in Africa. Nok has refused inspections. Don't be fooled by the pretty hostesses smiling at you from those ads. Nok Air is clearly substandard on issues of safety and inspections. Air Asia is much better.

Nok Air's areas of failure include the inability to complete a safety audit successfully (the IOSA), it is not endorsed by the FAA, and it cannot pass an ICAO safety audit ("operational concerns"). Airline Ratings It is just not safe.

Overall, according to the International Aviation Safety Assessment program (IASA), there are several countries which do not meet the standard to fly into the US. Those are: Bangladesh, Barbados, Curacao, Ghana, Indonesia, Saint Martin, Thailand (I am afraid to say), and Uruguay. International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) Program

Thai Airways International has a lot of problems and their prices are higher than those of other carriers. I used to fly them for old times sake, but their recent safety downgrade made me think.

sirchai likes this.
  3. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

You do get what you pay for and they're usually up there with the cheapest flights. So you can't complain about the manner of the crew, I bet they get a right bunch of moaning cheapskates to deal with all the time.
    So it's cheap and if it gets you there alive you've saved, and if you die well then who cares.

sirchai likes this.
  4. sirchai

And hopefully not having a suicide pilot.........

DavidUSA likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

The worst safety demonstration ever goes to.... Biman Bangladesh Air.

The lights dim, a mosque pops up on the screen in front, a passage from the Holy Koran is read, the urine stain from the leaking bathroom is spreading down the aisle, and the door to the bathroom is nervously flapping as the engines rev up. No joke. Don't let me check and find out that Biman has a higher safety rating than Nok.

sirchai likes this.
  6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I've flown NOK air many times...top notch. I tried to fly AirAsia once. They failed, epicly. When I complained to my travel agent about how I'd been mistreated, he attempted to contact them and finally shrugged..."don't fly AirAsia?" There is nowhere to complain about bad service for AirAsia! They have NO customer service whatsoever. They only sell tickets. If anything goes wrong, it's your problem.

I've flown with many disappointing airlines: Lufthansa, Jetblue, United...and some others that I can't recall at this moment. ONE airline has remained above all, in my mind, regarding BAD service and treatment: AIRASIA.

sirchai likes this.
  7. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

JAL was great for me, free upgrade to business cos i was sick. Lovely stewardesses.
    Quantas was great too, except all the stewardesses were gay blokes.

sirchai likes this.
  8. sirchai

Did you try one? :laughing5

9. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I flew Lufthansa and the crew was very nice. The plane had to return to Frankfurt but they took care of us. Of course, they lost the plane and we had to drive around the airport looking for it, but other than that . . . My luggage also reeked of aviation fuel for some reason.

I've been bumped to business on Egypt Air, Thai, and United. Having a Star Alliance gold card was probably the reason on the latter two airlines.

I think it was Nok when I had an emergency dental procedure in Chiang Mai and asked the airline to change the flight date on a flight where one couldn't make any changes. I had to produce a note from the dentist, but they changed the date.

I think it was Air Asia that let me take an earlier flight from Hat Yai to Bangkok. The curfew was in effect. The airline had allowed changes the previous week, and I was applying the day after. The rep still made the call to Bangkok and they changed my flight time.

Lao Aviation concerned me. International flights are okay, but this domestic flight was unique. There was no security. I could walk through the terminal and out on to the runway. The restroom had broken glass, like a 3rd class train on Java. The seat belt was too small and there was no extender.

I always get Air Myanmar and Myanmar Air confused. One was a death wish, the other was operated by a foreign outfit.

Hottest flight attendants IMHO are China Airlines and Korea Airlines.

The only transgender flight attendant I've noticed was Nok or Air Asia. She was helpful.

The only annoying experience with flight crew was an over zealous stew who would not take "no" for an answer. I didn't want seafood, I didn't want their meal, I didn't want any meal, and she kept trying to feed me, even waking me up to do so. I was ready to move from business class to economy to escape her. This may have may have been on THAI. I wound up accepting a crew meal to get rid of her. The crew meal looked and smelled like cat food. I had her on another flight. She asked what meal I wanted. I told her I'd rather walk than eat the slop she had to offer. She didn't annoy me again.

sirchai likes this.
  10. DavidUSA

A lot of people say that. If you look at the customer satisfaction ratings, Nok does very well. My point was just about safety and inspections. If you look at the details of the ICAO inspections it basically says that Nok falls into the dubious category of an airline with dodgy safety practices that has managed to not have many accidents.

At the end of the day, Nok might be pretty safe. On the other hand, I like to see that an airline went through the correct procedures.

On your comment about United Airlines: yes, they are just plain awful from start to finish, and I am not happy to admit it. The U.S. should have some decent carriers. I recently flew on Xiamen Airlines, a local carrier in southern China, and that was a pleasure. Good service, even good food, a spotlessly clean airplane (probably new) and pretty hostesses. In America it is all about money. Here in Asia it can still be about class and enjoyment.

I flew on United about two years ago, from Cleveland. It was awful. There is a little screen on the back of the seat in front of you, but it is for showing you advertisements: credit cards, etc. As soon as you sit down the sales pitch begins. It is revolting. And then the air crew joined in to encourage the passengers to join a United customer benefits plan and get points. It went on and on. I vowed to never fly on United again unless I could not help it. And I remember check-in because it was so chaotic that I got angry and complained, in person and by email. The absence of customer service and the vulgarity of it all is a statement about how the drive for profits can kill quality, kill it to the point that no one cares anymore.

More to the point: airports. Check out the Nanjing Airport. I cannot think of one airport in the US that reaches its standard of cleanliness, order, decent prices, or convenience. Nanjing's GDP went up about 9% from 2014 to 2015, and that convenient, well-designed airport might have something to do with it. It is a sight to behold. Or check out the airport in Osaka. In my experience, that is one of the best in the world (next to Inchon and Singapore). Reykjavik is good too, but it is pretty small. I really wish I could of included an American example. I just cannot think of one. Under the category of "scary" I can think of a couple: Los Angeles for one, JFK for another.

Last edited: 21 May 2016
  11. DavidUSA

By the way, where are you in China?

Me: Nanjing. 12K + housing + bonus + ticket + transportation
    So far so good. Everyone treats us well. I'm a little surprised by that. The place is booming right now.

12. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Neimenggu

13. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I really like the airports at San Francisco and Austin. Mainly because of the food. My worst airports were Guanzhou and Heathrow. Heathrow was just a nightmare of long lines and ignorant staff. Guanzhou had bad food at really expensive prices and the toilets were nothing but squatters.

14. DavidUSA

San Fran does have good food in the airport, it is true. I like the international departures area, but the domestic check-in leaves a lot to be desired.

15. DavidUSA

Inner Mongolia, I thought you were joking.

Sounds as if you went into the boon docks. I am jealous.