1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peppers

Discussion in 'Gardening in Thailand' started by olaf, 29 Mar 2012.

1. olaf

olaf Thread Starter New Member

My wife and I purchsed a couple of pepper plants and some of the leaves are turning a bit yellow. Where I lived in the States peppers wouldn't grow, so I'm not really sure what to do. If anyone has any suggestions aside from throwing them out I would be most appreciative.:wai2::wai2:

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

I've tried growing a few myself, but i'm no gardener. What I found that did help is lots of sunshine ...find the best spot to get around 6-8 hours sun, lots of water, and could try some of the stuff they call 16 - 16 - 16. (sip hok 3 times)

(16 - 16 - 16) Normally small blue pellets around 2mm and just place a few on top of the soil. If its say a small 8 inch pot, around 12 pellets will suffice. Can buy a small bag at pretty much any gardening centre at around 20 baht a bag.

I don't like using chemicals to grow anything, but often chili/pepper plants need a boost.

Good luck ... any wiser gardeners out there to help Olaf? :cheers2: GBG

3. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

They don't like to be in pots. In the ground and not too sunny.

That's how mine grew, or maybe I was just lucky.

4. crew

crew Faber College Member

THX is the best person to ask about this. when he comes along, i'm sure he's got more information on this issue and will hopefully share his insights with you.

just to clarify, is there a huge difference between peppers and chilies as they relate to the issue of gardening?

5. olaf

Yo, Crew they are really the same thing. I'm sure you know the Portuguese introduced them--along with potatoes and tomatoes.

I don't know if you can call it "gardening," they're on our balcony with two mint plants. I love the stuff. During my monastic period--a couple of years of reflection and study in South Florida I set up six flower plots. Of course there that elude me. Thanks both for the help.

6. crew

crew Faber College Member

i figured as much but wasn't sure.

yes, via mexico i believe.

good enough for me.

7. olaf

Thanks, all. I'm gonna get the sip hok (3x) and see what happens.

8. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Good on ya ... don't go overboard with the pellets though:thumbsup2:

P.S. As Crew said: THX1133. He hasn't been around lately, but I think he's the one to ask ... could PM him?