1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pelangi Focus Smart Science Books

Discussion in 'Science' started by GanDoonToonPet, 14 May 2015.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I'm teaching science (possibly maths as well I've just been informed) again this year & using the dreaded Focus Smart books. I start blind on Monday so I'd appreciate it if anyone could share any PDF versions you have. I'll be teaching M1-M3.

I have English & Maths books on my Google Drive that I can trade. :smile

Cheers.

2. evl

evl Active Member

There's a link to the teacher's versions of books on their site - looks like the ones you're interested in are at the bottom:

Teacher's Guide

Stamp likes this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I take it you got a new job.

:bouncing

4. Stamp

I use the Pelangi Smart books for M1, M2 and M3 at my school. Here are the Teacher Guides.

Attached Files:

5. GanDoonToonPet

Thanks... :thumbs up

...but I found those earlier today. They give a good overview but what I really want are the textbooks & workbooks so I can use them with the projector.

Yep. :smiling

Go in tomorrow for planning & start proper next week. It's not the best job in the world (far from it) but it's slim pickings for maths & science teachers this year; at least there'll still be a paycheck coming in. :yes

steveolevi, bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

congrats on the new job

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  7. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Will your students get the textbooks and workbooks? If yes, I can scan the first chapters for you. I am not sure atm whether we have the new or the old edition. I'll check tomorrow and let you know. We are using the "Discovering" series now and I assure you they aren't any better.

8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Yup. I can relate to that.

9. qwerty

qwerty New Member

I started using the M1 book last year and will be using M1 & M2 this year. Here's my take on these books:

Good:
    The writing is ok and the way the chapters are organized makes it fairly easy to teach from.
    There are an adequate number of Lab exercises and more than enough written exercises.
    The Teaching guide made writing the lesson plans a piece of cake.
    The books seem to follow the Thai curriculum closely, so your O-Net and A-Net scores should improve.

Bad:
    If your students are going to grow up to be farmers, there is a heavy emphasis on biology/botany/agriculture which will probably be quite useful, but if you are teaching city kids, you will probably want to skip about half of the 'Plant Reproduction' unit.
    The editing is quite poor. Some chapters are very short & easy, some are ridiculously long and difficult. It seems like some chapters were written for P6 & some for M5!

Stamp likes this.
  10. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Update: We've got the New Edition of Focus Smart. Just tell me what you need.

11. GanDoonToonPet

Thanks Lui but don't scan them in specially. I've got hold of the new maths & science workbooks for M1-M3, although the M1-M2 ones have been used, so I'll have a go at scanning some over the weekend.

Also the agency dude reliably informed me that they may have some PDFs already, although apparently it'll take a few weeks to upload them. :huh

12. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

:laughing5

13. GanDoonToonPet

Just finished cutting up & scanning chapter 1 of M2 science. Before I import them to a PDF, does anyone know a simple program for 'straightening' the pages? They're not too bad but I may as well do that now if I can.

14. Stamp

ACDSee. On the net including cracks.

15. GanDoonToonPet

This is turning into a farce & becoming a comedy. I scanned the M2 science textbooks & workbooks in colour but when I tried to print them (greyscale) the pages were blank; wasted a whole day scanning.

I then tried scanning in greyscale but the scans were unreadable. I tried B&W which gives a good scan so I think I'll stick with that for the workbooks. The textbooks are in colour but the scans turn the white background to grey, which can't be helped.

TBH I'm going to make the best of a bad job & scan the workbooks only. The textbooks are all very pretty but not worth reading & the workbooks, especially the maths ones, are atrocious. 4 questions for one topic???

On top of this, I still have no working projector in my classroom. I've been promised 3 times this week that it'll be fixed but to no avail so I can't use the scans anyway.

I've 18 separate lessons to deliver every week, across 3 grades, across 4 subjects (if you divide the sciences into their proper subjects) & although I've 5 years experience teaching science & maths I'm struggling!

The lack of a projector / constantly breaking down photocopier is really slowing me down. I'm working 24/7 just to keep my head above water, spread too thin & the students are becoming bored.

I'm not happy here & have some savings to tide me over so I think I'll tell the agency that I'll quit if the projector isn't fixed soon.