1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

contract Pay scales for farang teachers

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by daiwill, 10 May 2016.

1. daiwill

daiwill Thread Starter Member

Does anyone on here know where I can find a list of Government paid farang teacher pay scales?
    Someone on here recently mentioned that if the organization one works for as a teacher here in Thailand can employ someone as a "foreign expert" rather than a "teacher", then a higher salary could be expected form the employer / Government.
    I asked the question then and will again; Can someone please enlighten me, as to where this information is to be found.
    My first appraisal with the current employer (a university, but salaries are Gov't paid) is due soon, and I would love to get my hands on some back up ammo in order to get out of the 30K Baht syndrome that has existed for us lowly farang teachers for so long now, especially as I am now also trying to support the missus and her 2 kids. (no comments on that one please!!)

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  2. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I've heard about such list where there are differentiations between primary and secondary schools, native and non-native speakers of English and non-native speakers of English from Asian countries and others. Thai administrators made me believe the existence of such lists but I never seen one in person.

Some related info is given below.
    Minimum salary in Government Schools | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

I haven't heard of any relation between working in educational institutions in Thailand in another function than teacher which might give a higher salary.

However, I suspect the people mix up things which stem from rules of Immigration that dictates the monthly income for Reasons of Necessity 2.1. i.e. working in other occupations than stipulated in Reasons of Necessity 2.6 and 2.7.
    Criteria and Conditions for Temporary Stay - Immigration Order 327/2557 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2) Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014 applicable to Reasons of Necessity 2.1

Capture_202.jpg

Last edited: 11 May 2016
  4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Thus I dont teach at a University now ...the pay has moved up oh so slowly since the last time I tried it over 11 years ago.
    Son piset, thats what I did when at University with 2 small saucepan lids.... then changed my job to get a better pay packet ....there's yer options in reality.

Stamp likes this.
  5. Stamp

Yes, indeed, GBG. After school classes is for me big business. It took me many years to build up a good reputation but finally I am there. After school classes account for more than 60% of my monthly income. Thu evening and Sundays are my only days off though.

sirchai likes this.
  6. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

Base pay has increased from about 16,500 baht a month to about 21,000 (4,500 baht / 27%) since I started about 13 years ago. The last (cost of living) increase was last year, the first since in 7 or 8 years. Accommodation allowance of 8,000 baht has remained unchanged for a couple of decades, at least.

There have been changes to the tax system along the way; whereas it seems the accommodation allowance was once untaxed, now it is. I remember one pay rise where we actually landed up with less after tax.

After tax pay has increased from about 24,500 to about 28,500 baht a month (4,000 baht / 16%); and doing more hours with bigger classes for that. Should move on, but a (perhaps misplaced) dedication to the vocation has kept me around……

"Can you help us out another year?"

"Oh, OK" ….. Now half the department's Thai teachers are ex-students of mine, including the HoD.

I certainly wouldn't be considering raising kids on a Farang university teacher's pay….. would not really consider raising kids in Thailand.

7. Stamp

Yep. 20,780 Baht wage and 8,000 Baht housing allowance. Had that income from late 2012 until beginning of 2014.