1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Pay rate for teaching English as part time for big groups in Bangkok?

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Ajarn Jonathan, 24 Dec 2016.

1. Ajarn Jonathan

Ajarn Jonathan Thread Starter New Member

I agree with you about the agencies. Fortunately, the agency will provide all the materials for the course. I just need to make a pre test and a post test apart from teaching. I need to improve my networking. I will give you that but I hope I will get better on it as I spend more years in this country.

stfranalum likes this.
  2. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I agree, it shouldn't be all about the money. I would happily work for 500 baht an hour or free, if it were a group of poor country students. My students come from very wealthy backgrounds, so I have no issue charging a reasonable rate for my time. There's a big difference between working for free for a good cause and when an agency is walking away with 80-90% of the profit.

If you need to supplement your income then private teaching can be a good way to do that. Wages for foreign teachers haven't increased in decades, whereas the cost of living has risen dramatically. If you're new to teaching, then teaching through an agency can be a useful introduction but you should try and work for yourself, once you've found your wings. Networking is key to getting most things done in Thailand and your reputation goes a long way here, good and bad. Teachers are expected to be professional at all times and image counts for a lot, for that reason I'm always dressed smartly, clean shaven in any situation where I might run into a parent.

stfranalum likes this.
  3. Ajarn Jonathan

I've been thinking about your comments and I got another question. Once I get a group of students who want to study with me, how do I get a room to teach them and how much does it cost? Thanks.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

My BS detector has gone through the roof. How do I get a room? You could try this place, great service and food.

Meetings in Bangkok | VIE Hotel Bangkok by MGallery

The availability of teaching space and prices of such space is location specific. Teach in a park, teach in KFC good god do you have no initiative?

stfranalum likes this.
  5. Ajarn Jonathan

I have no experience that's it and that is why I ask. Just asking for advice. Please chill.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Well since you ask, I will offer

1) Ask people in your area where they teach
    2) a room in the house of one of your students, who would then learn for free/discounted rate
    3) there are flexible work spaces in Bangkok Bangkok's best co-working spaces and shared offices | BK Magazine Online
    63 working space

these are the first two hits on your friend and mine, Google
    4) get some initiative (that still stands)

Ajarn Jonathan likes this.
  7. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

i concur, the BS detector is going to melt down.

+1

8. Ajarn Jonathan

BS about what??? I am just asking for advice or ideas, so please don't be disrespectful. I came to this forum from thaivisa hoping to join a useful and troll-free community. If you have nothing to say about the topic you don't need to post. Let's keep this topic clean of offtopics.

9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Agree on this one.

10. stfranalum

last time i was in LOS, private teaching was illegal.

better not risk it johnnyboy.

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

If no work permit for teaching the private classes, it's still illegal.

12. Ajarn Jonathan

I am a bit confused now. I was advised by you and other members to find my own students by networking, but now you say I need a work permit for the private teaching and it is better not risk it. If I have my own students, as far as I know, there is no way I can get a work permit for that. Also agencies or language centres won't give you a work permit for teaching a few extra hours per week. So, what should I do then???

13. stfranalum

and thus, for the new guy who can't figure out where to hold a private lesson (discreetly) then he should absolutely be aware that he shouldn't flaunt it. doing it at a KFC would be conversation class and getting papers and overt teaching done would risk his tenure in LOS.

its on the down-low to be sure. and i understand that naivete is normal, but if he lacks the sense to figure out such nuances, then he should go with an agency or stay away. these are matters handled with care and "whoops" will get him facing an extended hand (payment) or worse.

people be jealous there. at times. when you flaunt shit.

just sayin.

14. stfranalum

nothing. just stay home. then go to work. eat somtam. go out. look at skirts. go to Big C. buy some snacks. ride on a motorcycle. eat some sticky rice. go home. go to bed. wake up. go to work.

rise and repeat until you've realized this isn't what you thought it was.

then...

realize you don't have many other options.

wake up again. go to work. eat somtam.

you get the point.

15. Ajarn Jonathan

Nope. I don't get it. Thanks for participating and the info anyways.