1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry to begin on New Year's Day

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Stamp, 13 Nov 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

• 13 Nov 2016 at 17:59 [​IMG]

A privately-run ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin is expected to start operations on Jan 1, the Marine Department says, but the ride will be initially limited to a daily round-trip and cater only to passengers, not vehicles.

The service, operated by Royal Passenger Liner Co, is being implemented as the first phrase of the government’s East-West Ferry Project to accommodate tourism and logistic activities between the resort towns of Pattaya in Chon Buri province and Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The department's director-general Sorasak Sansombat said Royal Passenger Liner was the only firm to apply for a licence to operate the Pattaya-Sattahip-Cha-am-Hua Hin ferry ride after applications open on Aug 9, and passed a selection process on Sept 30. A ferry committee was inspecting the firm’s documents and readiness for the service, upgrading arrival and departure ports for safety, and finding the appropriate fares.

The panel was expected to reach its conclusions on Dec 15, Mr Sorasak said, and the service would start on Jan 1 as a New Year gift for the public.

To drive between the resort towns currently takes five to six hours, but the ferry will shorten travel time by about two-thirds.

Read the full article here: Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry to begin on New Year's Day | Bangkok Post: news

DavidUSA likes this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Been long expected, but now it is here I'm just guessing it ain't gonna be cheap. Passenger only ferry first and focussed on tourists and I would have thought mainly foreign tourists = expensive. Well a good service too for the old boys to take their newly found young gals on a trip to Hua Hin.

3. Stamp

Yup. I think it's more for tourists in Pattaya wanting to visit the more quiet Hua Hin rather than tourists of Hua Hin wanting to vist Pattaya. It might have economic benifits for Hua Hin.

Well, it's not for me.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

This is great news for family holidays too, although I am a little confused with the word "gift"

5. Stamp

Would be nice when there would be a car ferry in case I want to go to Koh Samed or Koh Chang. :thumbs up

6. Stamp

From the Facebook account of the Tourist Police.

15055876_1620238628278419_1515529091533759390_n.jpg

7. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Nice one makes perfect logistical sense and means no need to have to cut through Bangkok in order to get to the Eastern seaboard. There's a lot more there than Pattaya!

8. Stamp

True that if the vessel is a car-ferry. What comes to mind is travelling to Ban Phe, Koh Samed and Koh Chang.

9. bahn_farang

1200 baht one way, at this price airlines could compete between the two beaches!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! and Stamp like this.
  10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

No surprise and targeted at tourists who would think 25 quid or in some other foreign currency is cheap. Hope it is a grade up from yer average passenger ferry here for that money eh.

bahn_farang likes this.
  11. bahn_farang

absolutely. When the relatives come over they marvel at the good value of room service, wow only 200 baht for fried rice! We then go to a local food stall which does it for 25-30 baht and tastes great!

12. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced of its practicality or usefulness yet. There's something very TAT-y about this whole ferry scheme.