1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Part time work. Stay clear of franchises.

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by faithnomore, 19 May 2015.

1. faithnomore

faithnomore Thread Starter New Member

Quite a lot of them seem are being used for tax- or debt-dodging purposes, by enabling franchise-holders to declare bankruptcy.

The key thing to look for is a near or total absence of marketing, especially when they are not situated in prime locations.

They will normally have two franchises on the go, one offering English such as Scholastic Early English (USA), the other offering mathematics such as I-Wang (South Korea).

Do I think the franchise-owning companies are bothered about their brands being used in such a way? I think they really don't care as long as they've got money coming in the door, be it short-term quick hits or long-term bigger bucks.

Franchise-holders declare bankruptcy within 5 to 9 months, so you might not get your final salary.

2. nonphixion

nonphixion Member

I spent one year working Saturdays at a quite popular language school - I would never do it again. Crap pay, rubbish classrooms, outrageous working hours.

Now work 9-12 on Saturday and make about as much money as I did hanging around from 9-6 in the language school.

3. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

I liked those jobs. The pay was lousy, but every little helps.

Once, the manager "forgot" to get the money on payday for the whole month. Didn't like that one bit. Alas, no bankruptcy.