1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overbearing landlady reported me to the employer

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Clown, 11 Jul 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

... for non payment of rent. :angry3:angry4 On a Sunday!

I had told the - - - - - that I had deposited the rent into her account.

Today, she actually looked and "found"my payment. But no apology. :cursing

She has OCD and goes to great lengths to rip me off by rounding up the electricity meter reading to the next 100 THB.

Am very unhappy about her stunts.

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

In a word ....'Move'.

Aj Michael and Clown like this.
  3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Agreed. Reporting to the school caused a big loss of face on your part. No apology on her part makes it worse.

Clown likes this.
  4. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Move, let's her see how much money she can earn from an empty house!! If you have a deposit held as security, I would withhold the equivalent rent for the last month or two because I'd be amazed if you got it back. Forewarn the school as to what you are doing and why.

Clown and Mati like this.
  5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

whatever deposit there is would surely be lost.

6. Clown

There's a twist. The brother is or was a teacher at the school.

Thanks for all your comments!

I wonder if I should ask for the bills? After all, I have got my own meter. The bills are always rounded up to the next 100 THB.

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

You could record the meter yourself, but I don't know how far you'd get even if you do prove fraud.

I was warned that one apartment manager was going to inspect the room before I left. The plan was to charge 50 baht for every blemish or scratch and charge far more than the amount of the security deposit.

The deposit was rather small, so I opted to lose it and avoid any confrontation while I was vulnerable with my bags packed and a plane to catch. I discreetly moved my belongings bit by bit to the school over the days prior to my departure. I also wound up spending the night at the airport, but when the inspection would have happened the following morning, I was already somewhere between Hong Kong Taiwan.

We've never rented out our condo when we've lived away from Bangkok and this has cost us some income. Maybe I should try the landlord experience once. I'm just worried about some twat who'd trash the place, leave it smelling like an ashtray, and pay neither rent nor utilities. Being so far away, I doubt I'd be able to do much about it.

8. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I had a colleague who rented out apartments. He used a rental agency. He seemed quite pleased with the arrangement and kept purchasing apartments to rent out.

9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Try to stay on friendly terms with everyone, but keep your eyes open. Something similar happened to me in a hotel I lived in. I rented the room by the month at a low price, and I had to pay the electric bill. One month the bill came to over 3,000 Baht. I just said I was not going to pay it. They backed down, and an apology came later.

That reminds me of a funny story: I got bit by a dog that was owned by a lady in a corner restaurant in my town. I went to the hospital and it cost about $60. It just nipped me, but it broke the skin and I learned how dangerous rabies is. Later I went to the restaurant and asked to talk to the owner. She came out and I asked her to pay half of the bill. She said no. I said your dog bit me. She asked me to describe the dog. She said she had no such dog. Then the dog came out from behind the counter and growled at me, showing its teeth. I got 900 Baht.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2016
    Buoyant, marcusb and sirchai like this.
  10. gungchang

That's very nice to know. I'll almost certainly do as your colleague is doing.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2016
  11. gungchang

Talk about a loss of face!

12. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

i think my parents do that too with a condo in Hua Hin.

13. Clown

The contract: never got a copy and it was all in Thai. The SD was 2,000 THB. She won't refund a single Baht, that's a dead cert.

I'm daydreaming of reporting her for fraud over the electricity bill (rounded up to the next 100 THB month after month). But who would give a hoot?!?
    This morning, I hand-washed some t-shirts on the balcony at a time when in Isaan the public speakers would be raising hell. She yelled at me, then waited by the locked gate, confronting me regarding noise.

I responded "mai kowjai" and brought up the locked gate and the internet being off for 24 hours. (She has OCD and is menopausal).
    A few months ago, she had a deep insight and reported me for vandalism. There was a rain-stain on the outer wall and she deducted like Sherlock Holmes that I must have <<poured acid down the main drain". Yeah, the subsequently leaking main drain would have liquid penetrating the outer wall.

She insisted on repairs which meant her smearing orange stuff on the grout of the tiles.

I might post photos of my bathroom, but have them on the I-Pad. It's all b.s. anyhow. But I'm stressed enough and simply do not want to move until it's time to leave for good.

14. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Look, Thailand is a place where you do not run into that many rotten eggs. If you do, then defuse the situation or leave. Don't let animousity continue, especially if it concerns where you live.

Having a petty fight, especially with a woman, is dishonorable. I believe that is it especially dishonorable in Thailand.

Get the heck out of there before something bad happens to you. You are on their turf playing by their rules, and you can't be making mistakes such as not getting a copy of the lease. That is on you. Move.

Can I bring up a certain topic? What can happen in the land of smile when you really, really piss someone off? Move.

"Let it go, let it go, ..."

Last edited: 17 Oct 2016
  15. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

F*** her; find some place with a better landlord and conditions. It'd feel good to make her life hell, but she's made it clear she's willing to cause problems for you at your job, plus you're working with her brother...not really worth the trouble she'd stir up for a couple thousand baht.

What if you kept track of the elec. meter yourself, when you go to pay just give the exact amount, tell her take it or leave it., rounding off to the nearest 100 baht is OTT.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2016