1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

online schools, teaching, teaching online

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by Tullkra, 17 Dec 2014.

1. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

Why bother?

2. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Why bother, indeed.

Just put another poster down and offer up nothing!

Well, I think I accurately captured a few of the negative and positive aspects of the online teaching game...
    If you don't agree, let's here what you have to say...

Last edited: 13 Jan 2016
  3. Cal Roy

I am so sorry, Mr. Mark. You asked me to tell you which part you are incorrect about. Only the parts I have posted above. Thank you for your patience.

4. Cal Roy

I don't know what you mean by "real teaching." I went to Berkeley in the 70s and I was in a lecture hall with 800 students. I could have easily just watched a video. My online students are one on one and we share Power Point slides that are written by the school to fit the lesson. Sometimes students struggle so I might have to skip a slide or two. Other times I have finished early and we have a chance to talk. That is where the "real teaching" begins whether it is at their home, in a classroom, on a bus or online. They get to put the words and grammar together in their own heads and use it coherently. In my two months I have already gotten regulars so now I am able to work on things I know they need.

There are several people in Chiang Mai and elsewhere who are using my school for their sole income while others teach for other online schools, as well. One fellow I met said he was able to buy a house in CM with what he has earned.

My schedule is already filling up each week. I sign up for 7.5 hours and I usually get most of them filled. I don't really have time for that much teaching due to my commute, so I schedule some at the latest hour so I get a little break. Even then, I made 20k the first month and 25k last month because of Christmas bonuses. The school now has nearly 500 teachers and continues to grow.

Teaching from home isn't much different than what I did when I went to kids homes to tutor. You have all the puppets and flashcards and anything else you might want to use to get their attention. I sometimes forget that we are not in the same room. We can see and hear each other and I am able to see myself so I know if I am projecting a positive face. Some students can be challenging so I need to be sure I am still doing my best. We are reviewed each month as part of our pay is based on the results of that review. In my first month I managed to get a high enough score to not be reviewed in December so I got the full monthly bonus.

We have a Facebook page where we talk about teaching. We also have a number of Skype pages where we can just talk and also where we can get help from tech support. They system isn't perfect but I have had very few problems.

There are also folks in the US trying to live on the income but I think that is a bit of a stretch since it is difficult to get enough hours, even at $20+ per hour, to make a living wage. I might do it from the US but only if I can line up some other schools, as well. Some focus on South America so they would be in my time zone. I will also be getting my credential soon, so that could allow me to get a part time or full time day job and still have time for some morning or evening online work.

Physical schools are going to become less important as online teaching becomes more available, affordable and effective. Learning in a large class with a teacher who can only teach to the middle is not the place for kids at either end of the spectrum. Check out Khan Academy some time and watch the videos about where it is being used in schools.

Mark, you make these broad statements about things you don't seem to know anything about. If you taught for someone online and you had a bad experience, you should consider looking for another one. I like VIPKID as it lets me make a bit of extra money without having to fight with payments, late students, lessons and even tests. The school supplies all that.

gungchang and Teacher MARK like this.
  5. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Thank you for your response. I'm glad it's working out for you.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Cal Roy your work with on line students is probably 10 years ahead of what the norm may well be. It is a topic which greatly interests me. I, sadly, am old and a tech idiot. Can I earn money on line tax free? Can I live in Thailand and 'work' in Thailand online. It looks like the laws of living and working in the kingdom certainly need changing!

How is all this legally?

If you have the time please either post or pm me. Thanks

7. Cal Roy

I'm 61 BF though a bit tech savvy. My school has a very easy program to work with and doesn't take much to make it work. High speed connection, mostly. Are you American? I can earn up to $85k here tax free. My friend in the US, an enrolled agent, said it is ok for me to have my money deposited into Wells Fargo without having to pay taxes.
    There are several folks with us up in Chiang Mai who are doing this full time. You don't need that much to live there. I made a little over 20k baht last month and I do the minimum hours. You won't need a work permit. The visa will be the issue. I am married to a Thai and we got my marriage visa, so that keeps me here.

I am looking for work in CM for next year, btw. Have had enough of BKK.

8. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Thank you Cal Roy for your reply. I am British, living in Lampang at the moment. I have been following the thread with interest and it seems that this internet teaching thing is growing fast. Sounds like it could be fun too. I would love to keep in touch as this sounds like the future!

9. Cal Roy

Someone told me about another school, HiKnow, another Chinese school. VIPKID only wants North American accents now, for some reason. You might check out HiKnow. I plan to. They also mention in their ad they have proofreading work.

bahn_farang likes this.
  10. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most of the on-line companies that target China are ask for "American" accent as they claim that it is a trend in China...

11. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

just add 'yo' at the end of each sentence. easy peasy yo.

12. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Where on earth did you hear this? Or did you just make it up?

American accents are preferred because the regional variances are easier to understand than those of other English speaking nations.
    Also, Asian countries tend to 'consume' more media (videos/music, etc) that originates from America.

Many companies operate on this principle.
    I worked for Nike years ago (in Thailand) and they only accept American teachers.

That said, don't be put off from applying.
    If your accent is clear and neutral, you may well get the job.

Mati likes this.