1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

online schools, teaching, teaching online

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by Tullkra, 17 Dec 2014.

1. Tullkra

Tullkra Thread Starter Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of giving this a try to see how I feel about it.

I've never taught online and as many of you will know I've been teaching over here for a good while now, ok not in a school anymore but still teaching.

I'd like to get a job that is slightly more flexible than my 6 days a week, 10 hour days. There's nothing wrong with it (except the long hours, 6 days and little holidays), I don't have to deal with the TCT anymore and the worries over that so it's nearly worth the extra.

Do any of you teach online and could give me some advise? What's the pros & the cons? I'm assuming that the good online schools would have a strict vetting protocols as the internet and online meetings of people can be very sensitive- what documents/ reports do you have to show top prove that you're legit about teaching online?

As I work 6 days a week, I could only teach on my day off and I really don't want to teach all day but would like to try and see if it could possible turn into something a bit more stable- would there be work on a Sunday?? - reckon there would as most students are off on a Sunday and may need help and tutoring.

Any ideas- good and bad would be appreciated.

Thanks
    MK

2. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

I know a couple of guys who have done it, they say it was good except for internet drop outs and chasing up the money.

3. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I auditioned for a Taiwan outift, Tutor ABC, and passed my demo. But, my internet connection wasn't reliable enough.

While I qualify as a "professional teacher," I really don't want to try lessons without a reliable video connection. I don't have that. With some regions (KSA, PRC), even audio-only is poor.

I'm now using italki. I often feel like I'm earning a pittance for "informal tutoring," And, italki takes its cut. Unless I use my money for an ebay purchase or some other Paypal transaction, Paypal takes its cut as well.

But, I spend neither time nor money to get to class.

There is also an "instant tutor" option where somebody needs somebody NOW. If you're not doing anything and are online, one of these requests might drop into your lap.

It is an adventure, and having an extra few thousand baht every now and then is pleasant.

4. Tullkra

Gungchang- do you know the names of some good agencies of this. I'm a little apprehensive to just contact random ones. any suggestions would be great - thanks

5. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I mentioned ABC Tutor and italki. I doubt that I'm the only teacher on this forum who has used italki. There are also some teachers on AJF who have used italki.

italki is laissez-faire. ABC Tutor has its own teaching program and you actually have a group of students and lessons to teach, or at least my trial suggested this. Positive reinforcement is a big with them. A solid internet connection is paramount.

I can't over emphasize that you're not going to get rich on either site. The attraction is that it's convenient

There is also Talkalive, but I notice that their top teachers haven't taught any sessions. Hell, I waited a year before posting available hours and I still appeared on the list of top teachers. When I did post hours, there were no responses.

Also, there is a call center approach to this. One of my CELTA trainers spoke of his nights in Japan doing online teaching after hours at a language school, and then getting dirty looks from people when the teachers would stop in a park and have a beer after work (at 6:00 a.m. or whenever).

I don't know how much the school paid, but given the opporunity to chat with a lonely Japanese housewife at 3:00 a.m., I might do it for free.

6. Tullkra

ok really starting to look into this. As I can't take much more of the 6 days a week job- I need a life and to realise why I'm here.

Plan on getting our own internet and will pay more for a better connection so that I can have reliable- ( as good as you can get in Phang Nga reliable- hopefully enough).

What's the best thing to do, contact the agencies and send a CV??

With a few months of work do you think it's possible to make enough to survive?? or should I have another back up??

Ideas would be great.

Plan is to get everything ready and then try part- time when I get back from Ireland and if all goes well 2-3 months remove the fulltime annoying pain in the arse job- Am I being realistic or do I have sugar coated glasses on???

Also need to do the Unitefl course as I can't go back to schools until I have it complete, need to start that too around the same time- man I like to pressure myself don't I!!!!

Thoughts and ideas would be great, thanks

7. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Superwoman

I found this job ad online today. I worked for Carrot English in Korea and they were quite a good for online teaching. They send you the materials and special phone they use. They have specifications for internet speed, etc.. but I'm sure it is pretty easy to get started. If you have any questions let me know.

Salary: $13 / Hourly Location: Anywhere, Online, US
    Type: Part-Time
    Carrot Global is currently hiring full and part time instructors to teach English classes online.

POSITION INFORMATION:

-Pay $13.00 USD per hour
    -Teaching time per student: 10, 15, 20, 30 minute classes
    - Classes are conducted using VOIP and video conferencing technology
    -Choose your own schedule within the following peak hours:
    5:00 am -11:00 am (Mon-Fri) and 5:00 pm -11:00 pm (Sun-Thurs) Eastern US time

JOB REQUIREMENTS:

-Native English speaker (American, Canadian or UK)
    -University/College Degree
    -Quiet area to work
    -Windows-based computer with at least 2 GB of RAM
    -Hard wired high-Speed internet of at least 10 mbs
    -Proficiency with computers and internet
    -Headset with a microphone
    -Webcam

If you do not meet the internet and computer requirements listed above, please do not apply

WHAT WE PROVIDE:

-Choose your own schedule within peak hours
    -Work from the comfort of your home
    -Long-term employment
    -Teaching materials online
    -Internet VOIP phone provided
    -Regular pay raise evaluations
    -Monthly salary incentives
    -Paid holidays

Please include the following information in your application:

Skype ID
    Phone number
    Email address
    Internet speed (speedtestdotnet)
    Available work schedule

ONLINE ENGLISH TUTOR ($13 p/h) - Anywhere, Online, US | ESLemployment

Tullkra, gungchang and Stamp like this.
  8. Tullkra

IT- thanks for this information will keep it safe and awesome about what quality of internet that they need as I have to install a new line to my house so perfect .

THANKS

Internationalteacher likes this.
  9. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I've been working for VIPKID out of China for the last two months and they seem very well organized and professional. I have earned about 20k baht every month so far and I only work the minimum 7.5 hours a month. Christmas had some bonus program for teaching during the holiday so that brought a few extra dollars, as well. I earn $20 an hour though my classes are only 25 minutes each, or $10 per class. I can get raises after time. They only want north American accents, though. If you are interested, PM me and I will help you with the application and interview process. Someone helped me and it got me in.

trnwrk likes this.
  10. Cal Roy

A typo above if you are checking my math. I work 7.5 hours a week. I also got paid $50 for posting on their blog and they give you $12 just for bank fees.

11. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

They take British speakers, too.

12. Cal Roy

Not VIPKID.

13. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

This way to make money is fine if you don't rely on it to pay bills.
    Also, if you don't mind the inconvenience of working to other people's schedules.

And the way the class times are scheduled, you end up teaching a few short classes just to make up an hour or two of money.
    If you are confined to a wheelchair, I imagine this would be quite a good way to earn some extra pocket money.

Waiting for classes, building a following and dealing with cancellations are just the start to the challenges you will face.
    Teaching (I mean real teaching) is very hard via a computer.
    It's very difficult to use materials, books and other props without some real tech wizardry and plenty of practice.

For example, using an 'on screen high-lighter' is a really cool way to communicate with your students.
    Picture in picture is also good as you can use the the smaller screen to show images or videos.

But it takes some organization and a lot of practice to get it looking professional.
    Also, the audio in your bedroom or living room is usually pretty awful and hard to understand for foreign students.

I suppose if you are just doing conversation classes then you can make it work.
    Sounds like a whole lot of bother for minimal payback to me, though.

14. Cal Roy

Mark, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Thanks for sharing your less than useful thoughts.

15. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

OK. Tell me where I have gone astray.