1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online courses for furthering yourself

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by bahn_farang, 15 Mar 2015.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Everybody is thinking there are one or two options, in reality there are literally thousands of courses if you wish to gain a waiver / full license or just develop yourself

Distance Learning Masters Degrees in Education

take a look

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

FutureLearn - Free online courses has two courses starting on the 20th April Uni of Southampton and my old uni, Lancaster . Not too late to join, for those that have already both courses have sent email reminders

3. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

4. testtaker

testtaker New Member

5. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Greetings, question regarding these online courses. (Thank you for the post btw.) Do you know if Kurusapa will recognize these courses. Thank you kindly. Thomas

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

Thomas likes this.
  7. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I don't believe Khrusapha 'accept' MOOCs; they do 'accept' courses like the Nottingham PGCEi which have a large online element but which also incorporate an element of face-to-face and in which work is graded by an expert and that process is the subject of moderation. It's an interesting area because clearly we are only at the start of online learning and clearly it has very significant implications for academe as a whole. I did some Coursera MOOCS prior to enrolling on the PGCEi and I have to say they were really helpful and effective. MOOC attendance certificates may suffice as evidence of continuing development for Khrusapha but will not actually deliver a teacher''s licence....that's my understanding.

Thomas likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Thank you, nice to be here!

9. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Thank you portnoy58, I am familiar with Coursera, it's a great personal development site. Just don't want to waste my time taking a class that won't be recognized by the Teaching Council. Thanks again :)

10. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Howdy, thanks for the post. Do you know if Khurusapha will recognize these courses.

11. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

They do NOT recognize MOOCs or similar courses toward licensure or for validation of a waiver since they are non-credit courses.

IF you have a valid teaching license AND you get the course completion certificate then they can qualify as on-going professional development come renewal time.

IF you want to work toward obtaining your license AND you already have a degree then you need a Post Graduate Certificate in Education that is composed of at least 24 credit hours of related coursework.

If you do not have a degree then there is no route to licensing other than actually getting a degree.