1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One on One Lessons?

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Templeton, 20 Oct 2016.

1. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

Sorry to ask such a question but I'm curious anyway....one on one lessons, no possible activities unless it's me and them. Two hours of English lessons one on one. How to keep it interesting in a classroom?? I can do it for for the first class or two but man! how do you keep them interested? I'm curious to know how to teach a ratio of 1:1

thanks in advance and sorry for asking and posting so many random threads....

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It's called "learning by doing."

3. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

^^Hi,
    I tutor one-on-one three times a week and have done private tutoring over the years. You have to find out what the student wants to learn first. Talk to the parents and find out what they need to learn. If you are teaching English then find out what their level is first. You can use workbooks as there are many great ones out there for phonics, grammar, writing, etc. There are also many teaching sites you can download worksheets (some for free and some paid). I belong to two paid teaching sites where I download a lot of of worksheets and activities to use with my student that I tutor.

4. Internationalteacher

5. Templeton

Thanks. First lesson was today. English is lower intermediate to upper elementary (whatever that means). SS is an adult that can speak some English (grammar is poor but communication to a degree is possible). SS wants to learn how to read. Anyway, overall the 2 hours were ok but still, this is an adult so interesting to them is different than for a 10 year old; slightly.

6. Internationalteacher

^haha, slightly eh.

At one time I taught English to the staff at my Korean public school.
    I used some of these stories that are pretty current and interesting depending on the interests of your student. You have reading activities, listening, speaking and writing activities to go along with the article.

Breaking News English Lessons: Easy English News | Current Events
    There is also different levels, so you can find something to match the English level of your student.

Good Luck!

7. Templeton

Thanks!

8. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Speak at half the speed, or repeat everything. hence only one hour of planning required.

9. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Try beginning with a game--either an actual English oriented game or simply a game with English conversation added as a side. Hit them with either grammar or reading comprehension. Then, throw in another game where appropriate.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  10. Templeton

Scrabble??

11. Internationalteacher

^You can play some speaking activities as a warmer.

Here are some ideas.
    No-prep warm up activities

The idea is to get them interested in speaking and ready to learn.