1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One last attempt to get ripped

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clown, 18 Jun 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Found a nice small gym charging just 10 Baht a day. Some prize bodybuilders go there - besides amazingly ripped guys.

Am trying to work out harder than ever. But then, 80% will be the diet, won't it?

Are you on a regimen?

Can you share what has worked for you?

• drink more water
    • forget that "post workout shake" - as digestion make yesterday's shake relevant! :agreed
    • Start squatting!
    • There are lunges and moves which made me fail miserably. Some muscle might protest in earnest?
    • They have some nice Thai tats. Would need general anaestetic followed by an induced coma though, or I would squeal like a pig and run for the door...

2. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Lots of veggies and fruit. Plus some simple exercise at home. Pilates is an option. An e.g.:

Clown likes this.
  3. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Take your time and enjoy it. I would recommend a healthy fat diet sort of thing - you reduce carbohydrate content in your diet and replace it with good fatty foods and proteins like avocado, butter ( imported only), fish, chicken, salad, squid, prawn etc. I don't know where you live but over here west of Bangers,there's a couple of outlets in the local market knocking out a really decent mixed salad for 20 THB; I eat it with those small fried mackerel. If head for makro I buy some smoked salad and avocados. At the beginning I thought it would be difficult because I eat rice, bread, pasta and spuds and sometimes I eat all of them in one day. An Oz cardiologist recommended this, but not to be followed religiously: his reasoning was you naturally turn carbs into glucose during digestion. If you reduce the carb intake your body will start to use protein and fat for energy. So this works well with exercise. But it's not war on carbs, let me stress, just a reduction. Like today I had some delicious khao mun gai. Tomorrow is gai yang and nam tok moo. I've also stopped drinking 3 in 1 coffee most of which is laden with sugar and I drink 1.5 litres of water every day at work. My dodgy scales indicated a high of 103.5 kg in early April which this morning, 18.06.16, was down to 97.6 kg. I've built up a combined routine of about 20 minutes' walking and 15 minutes' jogging; the latter distance has increased progressively. I am learning a key element in this process is to be brave enough to have rest, i.e. have non-exercise days. I have no interest in body building or getting ripped as you put it, but this is working from a weight and fitness perspective. Good luck!

Clown, Stamp and sirchai like this.
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

97.6 kg is still a lot of waste you're carrying around. ( Sorry, not wanting to be impolite, as I don't know your height, etc..)I'm on 73 kg but the muscles I once had were replaced by fat. Not too long I could do 100 push ups without a problem, but now I'm breathless when I'm doing 20.

You have to fight your inner laziness and once you've started some exercises there'll be a time where you need them.

Once your mind and body is on the same level, there's really nothing that can bother you. Plus some meditation and life's good.

It's really difficult to start, but once you did you feel better from day to day. Your body will produce some Adrenaline and that will also make your wife happy. Just go for it. There's no need to go to a gym.

* Gym, wrongly pronounced is a woman's body part most of us appreciate to use.)

Healthy food is the most important part. Okay, we'll start tomorrow.............:agreed

Clown likes this.
  5. portnoy58

Hey sirchai you are right, 97.6 kg is still overweight but this morning I am down to 96.8 kg. This is an ongoing thing. In fact the jogging has taken over and is the main reason for the weight loss. I don't have a target as such but I am enjoying getting fit and healthy again without getting ripped!

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

But please be aware that jogging isn't good for your bones, especially your knees.

Swimming seems to be the best exercise. I'm still fighting with my inner laziness, the school keeps me quite busy, but I gotta do something. Not long and I need to buy a bra.

And getting older doesn't make it easier to burn fat.......keep the faith.

P.S. If the 58 in your username is your year of birth, we're only 2 years apart. But I'm Nong.

7. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I was at 98 kg last year. Now, I'm down to 90 kg. I have a simple plan. I eat less and exercise more. I also try to eat a lot more fiber...things like oatmeal, apples, and veg. I plan to lose at least 5 more kilos. I'm getting too old to keep baiting the reaper.

Good luck fellahs.

portnoy58 and sirchai like this.
  8. sirchai

Thanks for your post. Gave me another reason to start with my exercises. My wife can lift my weights more often than I do, which is one more reason to do something.

A great way to do exercises is to make a plan. One day sit ups, wifey can hold your legs...next day some push ups, one or two days a week swimming and the fat is turning into muscles.

The whole time i was only talking about it, but now I've started. A great exercise is using a chair and put your legs on another one. Then get down with your body as much as you can.

There's really no need for a gym.

It make you feel much better and helps you to get over the school stress that sometimes( often) appears.

And you're strengthen your immune system. Go for it. I"m in.

portnoy58 likes this.
  9. portnoy58

My knees are holding up really well. I feel it most around the pelvis area. However I'm learning to stretch before and after and it is making a big difference.

Agreed but I always end up getting skin rashes and other minor nasties.

Well you couldn't be in a better place for that!

You are indeed correct. However taking some exercise is one of the smartest things I've done recently - it really is making me feel much, much better.

sirchai likes this.
  10. portnoy58

Seconded.

11. portnoy58

Well done SJ, good luck with the next five. How easy has it been?

12. sirchai

Thanks a lot for the laugh in the middle of some serious school bullshit....six hours straight tomorrow with very serious colleagues..

But after some training I'll only smile about the Tagalog bla bla throwing guys and the Thai counterparts.

I should really listen to my wife more often. Do your job and get the f... home. And she's so right.

Keep them coming and don't give up. Life's short, but good. Well, sometimes. :go10

portnoy58 likes this.
  13. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

I've been doing weights since I was 21...now 42. In my experience if you want to shed weight and build a good physique then giving circuit training a try wouldnt be the worst idea. Now, I am NOT talking about the stuff chicks do. Its basically a way of pumping iron in which you have very little to NO rest at all between sets. This keeps the heart rate up the entire workout. Whereas, in traditional weight training which is what I am doing now you usually have say, a 1 - 1:30 minute break between sets. When doing circuit training the weight that you are able to lift will go DOWN but this not the end of the world. Trust me, doing a circuit kicks your ass! You have to work out a routine that you can do 6 - 8 separate exercises back to back. A good idea is to go from push to pull. By this I mean you could do this:

Bench press
    Back rows
    shoulder press
    upright row
    incline bench
    bicep curl.....etc

If you do it right you can go through a whole circuit with little to no rest and by the end.....you are f*cked! You do 3 circuits with about 2 mins rest between each. I did this type of exercise for a few months and lost weight while adding muscle mass. Ok, you are NOT going to get HUGE doing it BUT its a great start to getting back into weight training and it also helps more with aerobic fitness.

FARMERS WALKS!!!!! I started doing these about 6 months ago. Grab two of the heaviest dumbells you can and walk for as long as you can with them. I also walk up and down stairs with them....but thats just me. This is a bit of an overall body/core exercise but it also give you great forearms ( a much neglected muscle group). Trust me, after you do a real farmers walk you will be breathing heavily....

STAIRS!!!! I used to jog, but then I didnt. These days I do stairs.....sound boring? I dont find it boring and its an extremely efficient way to get fit. If you walk up and down the stairs in your house without stopping for 45 minutes your legs will know it. I mix it up, sometimes i kind of run, sometimes I take two steps at a time ( a lunge) or whatever......I also carry weights up and down, as I said. Stairs give you the benefit of aerobic and anaerobic thingumejigs...meaning it works your heart and strengthens the legs at the same time.

Anyway, thats how I keep fit...well, relatively fit and its all done at home....no reason to venture out into that big bad world.........

sirchai likes this.
  14. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

It takes determination and discipline. You've got to commit to do something everyday. Don't over do it...just do it. When you're older, throw all the conventional training techniques out the window. Don't work out to build mass...simply work out regularly. Don't walk on a treadmill, simply walk...and walk often. Eat more fiber and veg.

It hasn't been easy by any means. It's taken me 6 months. I've been at this weight for at least a month.

portnoy58 and sirchai like this.
  15. sirchai

And don't forget good sex !!!!! I'm more than happy that my lovely wife sometimes reminds me that she wants to be satisfied.

And having a loving wife and good sex seems to be the ideal relationship between men and women.

I'm 56, but don't think that i look that old. My wife's 11 years younger and there's nothing hanging.

Sorry, wasn't planning to hijack this thread. But sex is indeed a great exercise, i only have a problem when I do the whole Kamasutra twice in only one night.:go10