1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old school 'refuses' to issue Tax Statement

Discussion in 'Tax issues' started by GanDoonToonPet, 2 Mar 2016.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I started work at a new school in October last year & they insist on doing everything above board. This includes filing a tax return for 2015, so that I can renew the WP / Extension in May, for which I need an Annual Tax Statement from my previous school.

I emailed my old (Thai) boss after the new year & she said she would sort it out. After hearing nothing for a month I emailed her again but have had no response.

I have wage slips showing tax withheld but only for the basic salary. All other payments listed on the pay slips were classed as bonuses & not taxed. Therefore as I see it I have 3 options:

1. Go to the tax office & explain the situation, taking my pay slips showing untaxed income.

2. Only declare income from my current school.

3. Declare income from both schools & risk having to repay the tax if my old school didn't pay it.

Your thoughts...?

Incidentally, does anyone have the link to the webpage to register & submit the tax return? I had the page bookmarked but accidentally deleted my Google profile... :ashamed

2. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Income Tax Payment Certificate is easily available from The Revenue Department.

Mati likes this.
  3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Is this the one?
    :: RD - P9091 ::
    Or this one?
    ?????þҡ? : ???Ẻ??ҹ?Թ??????

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  4. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Phone the relevant person at the old school. If no joy, go to the tax office and explain the situation.

5. GanDoonToonPet

Thanks Chu :thumbs up

I've have a go at registering again. Last time the site wouldn't accept my address because 'Changwat Bangkok' doesn't exist. :huh

If I manage that, the accountant at the school is going to submit the return for me...

6. GanDoonToonPet

Weird. I started the registration process again & the information I'd previously input was still there but had all changed to Thai. I pressed submit & it was accepted. :confused

7. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Might have been the upgrade to better security. :P

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  8. GanDoonToonPet

I tried to submit the return online & it came back with a message 'invalid username'. :cursing

Tick tock...tick tock...

9. GanDoonToonPet

I informed the school accountant of this last week but she insists on trying to submit on 15th, sans my previous school's details.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this, starting from the beginning in a galaxy far, far away...

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The school refuses to give documentation for your taxes? Some possible options

1 Area Education office lawyer - with someone fluent in thai language and culture.
    2 Nice letter to Tax office out lining your previous schools unwillingness.
    3 Sent registered letters. Talking is rather cheap "sip bok wa" and all that.

in your position, I would create a bloody stink.

11. GanDoonToonPet

1. You have to be joking.

2. I could go there again (it's not far from the school) but what happens about unpaid / undeclared taxes? The taxpayer is 100% liable I understand... I could go there & report the school but...

3. Ah evidence, especially cold, hard documentary evidence sends shivers down the spine of the corrupt & hugely powerful people who run the Bangkok schools.

12. bahn_farang

you know your situation best.

1. It was a suggestion, sometimes the 'stupid falang' thing works... "like, I don't know what to do, you see I asked them.. but....
    2. So your concern is about taxes you should have paid but haven't?
    3. like I said you know best, but things at the moment make people extra careful.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2016
  13. GanDoonToonPet

1. I appreciate the response & I suppose I could try the 'stupid farang' route although it burns me to my soul. If I go to the TA armed with them making a mistake...

2. You want a fight? No, due to creative accounting no taxes were paid in my first 2 schools, just wondering about the 3rd.

3. No, I don't.

14. bahn_farang

It would eat at my core if a school refused to provide a legally required document, so kudos to you for your restraint.

For what its worth I think your current course of action is spot on. It might be worth covering your bases and remembering the names of those who you have contacted re you tax return. If you show you have kept records as to who hasn't supplied you with the needed documents then as you say "evidence sends shivers down the spine of the corrupt & hugely powerful people who run the Bangkok schools." This may be to your advantage. Since the avoidance of conflict can be used not only in offence but..

15. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Well, eventually the penny will drop and you'll realize that you haven't actually paid any taxes at all from your previous employer.

If your current employer really wants you to stay, try getting them to help you communicate with the school and find out what's going on.
    I think you'll find that they'll have the same success rate that you had... NONE!
    But at least it shows good intentions on your part.

Also, be careful how far you want to push the buttons...
    If this school gets a 1,000 baht fine for accidental 'bad accounting' (from a mysterious temporary employee who no longer works there and doesn't have a forwarding address) because they didn't handle your tax deductions properly, you can bet that you are gonna be hammered for thousands when it comes time to actually pay them!

bahn_farang likes this.