1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham PGCEi: half-time

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by portnoy58, 5 May 2015.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Long list of suggested reading, the autobiography, the SWOT all encouraging. Just back from a great holiday with the little ones 4 days in the legoland hotel so now it's time to hit the books

professeur and portnoy58 like this.
  2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well bahn_farang and anyone else about to attend the Nottingham PGCEi face to face events, let me wish you the very best of luck and hope you have an enjoyable time and that the food and surrounds are as good as last year. Beyond saying good luck, I'll say no more about the course until I get the result of Assignment 4, towards the end of October, after which I'll try to provide a more detailed review and my thoughts on getting through the work.

professeur, bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  3. bahn_farang

Having read the autobiographies of other participants, mine was rather dull. On the positive side it means that I get to meet some interesting people. The SWOT is proving rather difficult as self reflection is not a strong paint of mine. Owe a great big thank you to Portnoy58 as the suggested reading he made, I did and I think I will not embarrass myself because of it.

4. portnoy58

bahn-farang err......! I never looked at my SWOT analysis after the course so don't worry too much about it! I'd suggest you get into the habit of knocking stuff out as best you can, ( I mean in the sense of writing, of course!), and then come back to it later when you can edit, improve, rewrite, add,delete, etc. I'm sure once you've had a look around your peers on the course you'll feel okay. But yeah, I distinctly recall feeling 'less than' before the course, worried about all these bright young things. It was a mixture of anxiety and nerves on my part which was natural enough given it was my re-entry into higher education 30 years after I left it for the last time! But age and experience are huge assets in something like education and be sure to make use of yours.

Before you plough into coursework here's book I would consider reading:
    DENBY, N., BUTROYD, R. & SWIFT, H. 2008. Masters Level Study in Education : A Guide to Success for PGCE Students, Berkshire, GBR, McGraw-Hill Education. It's available in electronic format through the university library and you may get some pointers on how to approach study and reading/writing.

As before good luck and once you get going please give updates.

Stamp likes this.
  5. bahn_farang

will take a look at the reading 2 days to go - very excited/nervous/ etc. etc.

6. bahn_farang

Well, what an amazing 4 days induction. The activities, the tutors, moodle, So far it is an amazing course. my only regret is not doing it sooner. Came back to the day job today and used so much that I picked up from other participates. There were some who didn't really welcome my no nonsense approach but these are the people that I learned the most from.

Feeling energized to teach and to study.

7. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

BF, you must be an absolutely shyte teacher. Otherwise you would have known it all already. Either that or you're not a yank - cause they know everything, especially when they have no idea what they are on about. Which is it?

8. bahn_farang

Perhaps I'm just a teacher who as an open mind to improvement - some would say shyte.

No doubt I learnt a lot. I would offer that the conversations/disagreements I had with others taught me a lot more (or perhaps this is one of the core aims of the course)

Put together a group of:

Just graduated people
    Long timers in Thailand from inters
    Long timers in Thailand from privates
    Long timer (may have been others than me) from gov. schools

and you are always going to get clashes.

Word for word from me…. "You have your opinion, which does not make it correct. I have my opinion, which does not make it correct" … let's just say I didn't go down to make friends but rather learn from an amazing group of people. Some were "nice polite people" who didn't want to engage, others were people who had an opinion and wanted to share it.

My only disappointment was that people didn't really exchange opinions, it was all.. Yes i see what you mean but or good point but . No real… sorry but I don't agree based on A,B,C.

Having said that the tutors really are top grade. The three which ran the course have so much experience.

Stamp likes this.
  9. portnoy58

Well done bf, glad you enjoyed it and made the most of it. You're making a considerable investment and commitment in terms of both time and money so you might as well get stuck in. When you get to Module 2 and encounter Vygotsky you'll hopefully get an insight into the social nature of learning which at one level is not much more than contributing and participating... which sounds as if it is exactly what you did. Next Monday is the day when results for the final assignment are scheduled to be released. There may well be a delay as the tutors are all in BKK for the second cohort and I somehow doubt they'll be heading back to Blighty for the few days between the courses. More soon!

Stamp likes this.
  10. bahn_farang

Good luck portnoy58 with the results. I AM WAITING TO HEAR THE NEWS!!!

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Good luck, portnoy58. I'll be waiting for your news.

12. portnoy58

I got another good grade for Assignment 4 so I have passed the course and earned a distinction. Huge relief to have successfully completed it. I don't understand the grading. In purely personal terms I am delighted to walk out with the distinction but to be honest I am not sure if it really means very much. It's over, time for reflection and consideration of my next move. I'll write some more about the course soon.

Mr Bean, professeur, ramses and 3 others like this.
  13. bahn_farang

First, congratulations. Since I'm on the course, I appreciate the distinction is a bloody big deal. Well done and thank you for the inspiration to join the program. Really glad you have made it to the other side.

Good for you, well done.

portnoy58 likes this.
  14. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445871523.305234.jpg

portnoy58 likes this.
  15. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Well done & stop putting yourself down. I'm sure you deserved the distinction. Hopefully I'll be joining you soon... :smile

portnoy58 likes this.