1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham PGCEi 2015

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by bahn_farang, 28 Jan 2015.

1. faithnomore

faithnomore New Member

^ Lend us 500 baht!

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

^ for the bus ticket to Bangkok when your waivers run out?:biglaugh:

Just kidding, good luck on making difficult decisions:smile:

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Thanks for the thread BF:thumbsup2:

I am seriously considering this course as for me it is the course to do and not one of those Phillipino options ...yes it is more by say a thousand quid but in the long run IMO this is a better piece of paper on your CV and for doors to open.

As for our wonderful well organised Khurusapha colleagues that guide us through these rocky and diffucult times ...It would be awfully good of them if they could possibly give an affirmative for a full TL if one completes this course and other deemed courses such as the culture course. I honestly think that they can given the popularity of this course and the amount of teachers already in Thailand with a PGCEi. Ramses knows of refusals and I know of acceptance .... rather confusing isn't it?

When you say BF often about the people who 'do nothing' I appreciate what you are saying, but myself and I'm pretty sure 99% of others see it as parting with a large sum of cash on a 'maybe' isn't good enough. Furthermore, to commit some 10 hours study every week for a year on top of your job is a little daunting .... I tried Open University in my early 20's for 3 years ...gave up as it was too much on top of a full time job for me ....finally did a full time course at a Uni and was a breeze in comparision.

But BF ...yes I'm seriously considering this,even with cost and commital, and have till August to decide .... meet you there in BKK for F2F chat:smile2:

4. bahn_farang

Fair and well argued points, none of which I disagree with.

But are we ever going to get more than a maybe? If we wait for certainty does this result in anything but failure? (don't want to be too philosophical but this is true in all things in life) People told about how the tests were bound to change and they did, but not as many had said/hoped. People have sub optimal options available, regrettably I can't see the odds improving.

Ironically the culture course is now the main sticking point. Say the UniTEFL is accepted and the PGCEi is accepted - a full license still won't be granted (as we all know) because the missing culture course.

If I were without a license right now (and my own personal situation with a family to support and money tight) I would do the Unitefl as a 100k bet. 2 year waiver extension and perhaps within those years the culture course will be offered/changed/stopped.

My hobby horse is action versus non action. Must be annoying for some but I'd like more people to act and perhaps lose money than not act and find themselves unable to stay in the kingdom through inaction.

People have been burnt badly by the TCT test withdrawal. Time to roll the dice?

CBG maybe see you in BKK

5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I think the course looks great, but without something concrete in writing from KSP I'm not committing. I understand that there are a lot of people, who have no intention of taking a course like this, whether its guaranteed to lead to a full licence or not. There are, however, a small number of people who would welcome the chance to develop their teaching skills and this seems to be the best option at the moment. The university of Nottingham is a real bricks and mortar university, in fact it's one of the UK's leading universities. That said I will not gamble £3000 on a wild stab in the dark, it would be bad enough if KSP gave no indication, but the fact that they have actually turned people down, makes me far too twitchy to slap £3000 on the table!!!

The problem is that, coupled with the complete lack of information or guidance from the TCT, and seemingly random results of teachers licence applications, is the fact that there always seems to be a way around the system, in fact the loophole or backdoor method is often easier and more reliable than doing it by the books. I've been playing it by the rules in all the time that I've been here; teaching on the books with the correct visa and work permit, attending culture courses, seminars and jumping through the various hoops. Yet, I know of countless teachers who don't even have TEFL certificates, let alone a degree or a master in education, and they are able to carry on coasting, whilst those who are making genuine efforts to work within the very awkward, almost resistant confines of the system, have the thumbscrews tightened year on year. I am starting to think to myself, why not go onto a marriage visa? I know several people who have work permits, whilst working on marriage visas with absolutely no involvement from Krusapa.

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I'm afraid that doesn't work. Your work permit is not based on being married to a Thai national but on being employed by an OBEC school.

7. Hey_ewe

Not saying its right but well.....TiT =D

There are several teachers at my school who are doing just that. Their contracts have different job titles, but they are doing exactly the same job, being paid the same salary. The only problem they have is that they must have 400k in the bank every year. Last year we had a few teachers with no work permits, they were simply told not to come in on the day that the labour office had announced it was going to raid/visit the school.

It's just one way that people are circumventing the system, I know of people working on Education visas, tourist visas, retirement visas. One well known private school that has schools all over the country, routinely hires teachers with no intention of helping them get the correct visa and work permit.

8. bahn_farang

Do what you can to stay happy. For me I still like to stay legal/free from doubt that someday there will be a knock at the door or a policeman at the school gate. Thats just me.

if you can do it another way and are happy with it then thats your freedom to choose.

9. Hey_ewe

I'm all legal thankfully and happy! There are plenty who aren't but I can understand why.

The people in my school on marriage visas are legal, they've just found a loophole in the system. They all have a valid work permit and visa, the only thing that I would be concerned about if I were in their shoes, is that the loophole will be closed, not the most secure position to be in. Having said that, in some ways they have more security as their visa is not dependant on their job, if their contract isn't renewed or they fall out with a Thai teacher, they won't have to leave the country within 7 days. All I am saying is that there always seems to be a 'way' here in Thailand and when the TCT route is big grey area, you can see why people get sick of banging their heads against a wall and find another way. They guys in my school who are on marriage visas, are all good teachers, otherwise the school wouldn't have gone out of its way to keep them on the books.

As someone who has spend a lot of time researching teacher licensing courses, the Nottingham PGCEi looks like the best option. I just wish the TCT would officially recognise this, so everyone could breathe a sigh of relief and get on with studying. I'd be happy to pay the £3000 to ensure my future here and I want to make it clear, my doubts don't stem from anything to do with the course, my concerns lay firmly with the uncertainty and fickleness that is the TCT.

I'm lucky that I earn over 100k a month outside of Bangkok, so I could afford to take this course, time on the other hand would be harder to find. I'm just not happy to invest that kind of time and money, to take vocational course that isn't 100% accredited by Khrusapa and may not lead to a licence.

There must be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of foreign teachers here in Thailand. How many teachers (outside of the real international schools) are licensed now? very very few, I've met two in 8 years. What percentage of TEFL teachers on 35k a month are going to suddenly take a MA or a PGCEi? I'd guess less than 1%! What the hell do they suppose is going to happen, when none of the 99% have not complied with the proposed guidelines? They are going to find themselves in a crisis or have to backtrack.

For those that do go ahead with Nottingham course, I read somewhere on here that there may be a way obtain QTS. Well whilst looking at PGCE courses in the UK I stumbled across these...

Assessment routes to achieving QTS - Get Into Teaching - Department for Education

Edge Hill University

Assessment-only route for Qualified Teacher Status - University of Worcester

There are plenty of other universities offering the assessment only QTS, maybe an option after a PGCEi?

Hope that helps.

10. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

i can sacrifice time, energy and money to a course to lead to a TL but I will not pay for an expensive course and hope that Krusapha will accept it depending on their mood.

11. colonol

colonol New Member

Krusapha have told anyone that has contacted them that the diplomas on line from the Philippines, the Sunderland and Nottingham courses all are good for the 1 year diploma. I know several people that have teacher licences obtained through these routes.

People come on here and other places saying people got refused but never 100% citing the reason as being there courses. They have failed to get it for other reasons imo.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

12. bahn_farang

Hopefully the cohort will be a mixed bag of people. I for one am looking forward to doing the Nottingham PGCEi very much. I have started to do some preliminary reading and am finding it already helping my teaching.

Hopefully those who are unsure whether it is accepted or not for the license will check for themselves and report back.

13. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

It is a foreign course that they have no input or control over so they CANNOT endorse it.

To their credit however they have listed the required criteria for any off-shore course to be recognized and accepted for Thai licensure; the main ones being:
    a) 24 credit hours of education related coursework and
    b) recognized as a legitimately accredited university.

If your post grad, offshore program meets those requirements then it will work for Thai licensure.

I personally know of no cases where it didn't - just rumors of a friend of a friend who used to work at a friend's school as re-posted on some internet forum.

I have about 75 cases of past or current employees where that was the case.

14. bahn_farang

:clap:

So can we stop shifting the blame now? Fact (?) the Nottingham PGCEi will NOT get a rubber stamp but it will most likely get you a license. Sorry guys thats as good as its going to get. This is one of those times where a blind leap is better than the raging fire behind you. Jump or die my friends or find other ways to stay!

(ok a little dramatic)

15. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Me too. I want to know, officially and in advance, what courses are acceptable.