1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nottingham MA Education (Flexible) (Part time)

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by bahn_farang, 18 Dec 2016.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Good news!

I have received an offer for admission to the MA Education and have accepted. The course starts in February and I am eager to get back into learning. After being impressed with the PGCEi from Nottingham, and consideration of costs, I believe that this MA will provide me with a challenge at the right price.

A couple of questions, if I may:

1) Is any member currently doing the MA with Nottingham or any University for that matter? If so how is it? Pitfalls etc.

2) Since Stamp's site is blessed to have many members who have an incredible depth of academic experience, can anyone share some basic pointers in studying for an MA?

I will attach a link to the site:

Education (Flexible) MA - The University of Nottingham

Thank you in advance to any thoughts

covertjay likes this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Sounds just the ticket BF. :thumbs up
    One question: Which fee do you have to pay as there is a 3 grand plus difference? HEU or Inter (X40M)??

3. bahn_farang

Depending on how you look at it, that's the only loose end.

With over a decade and a half living in the land of smiles, I would say it's safe to assume that I'm an international student. But you do, importantly, bring up a crucial consideration for those of us with children in Thailand. Careful reading and consideration are vital if we wish to provide the best possible education for our children. My own love affair with the land of smiles will come to an end in time to gain the best possible future for my two girls. Both my better half and I fully understand the ramifications of a move to blighty in time for a better tertiary education for our girls. Perhaps a topic for another thread.

Right now I'm glad to be on the road to more employability/development/knowledge.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2016
    Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

READ, READ, READ.
    Get into the habit of reading for at least an hour per day for related material.
    This is where most MA applicants will fall down and it shows up in the comprehensives or at your proposal defense.
    While you are doing your coursework you can expect 2-3 hours per day of reading if you want to be successful.

Unlike your undergraduate degree the Master level programs are essentially a baby PhD and you ARE becoming the "expert" in your field.
    There is a TON of reading to do both for your coursework and if you are not doing a MA-Thesis preparation for your comprehensive exams (oral and written).

If you are doing a thesis then get used to using "Google Scholar". Start EARLY.
    Your "lit review" is fundamental as is the preparation for your "thesis proposal defense".
    Look at a bunch of research papers (you will probably cite many in your defense and thesis) and learn the format of the genre as well as how to properly cite your sources (including electronic sources).
    The use of something like "Endnote" will facilitate your citations and bibliography/references.

Find some research papers that are interesting to you. In the discussion section you will find suggestions for further research. Find one that interests you and use that as your research question for your thesis. No need to reinvent the wheel. The background is already begun for you and there is a good start on your lit review (their reading list) as well.

The formal "thesis defense" is actually much easier than the "proposal defense" since you should "know" your material inside and out by that stage.

5. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

^Advice doesn't get much more comprehensive than that...unless ttom writes the thesis for you :smiling.

6. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

for what it's worth, i am turning down a bunch of master's degree holders whose degrees are online. and thats not just an online school, but credits gotten from online courses.

i realize that many businesses dont care, and thats ok. some of those online programs are excellent and produce great teachers. but here in saudi, especially for the government, they don't accept credits awarded to online MAs.

just sayin'. its something to consider.

also of note, i always felt that my masters degree was relatively worthless in thailand. not in terms of what i learned, but in terms of it paying off in earning more money.

SageAdvice likes this.
  7. bahn_farang

Absolutely agree and thank you for taking the time and thought to post.

The online MA offers me the best option at the moment. My family has a relatively comfortable life in Thailand, so the qualification will provide me with (in order of personal importance) development, network expansion, a teachers' license renewal, a hobby and possibly better employment options.

Going back to school now to do a full time on-campus Masters is not an option; furthermore, if and when we return to the UK it is unlikely that I would work in education.

Things do change of course.

I totally agree with what you said regarding benefits, I earn 30k from a local government school and with my master degree I fully anticipate to earn 30k, but it's the development which attracts.

Truth be told, I was very much anti online education viewing it as a poor second to attendance at university. My opinion has been totally changed by the positive experience with Nottingham. Yes, some of the people did the bare minimum and yes this would be difficult to assess when faced with applicants for vacancies. But, and it is just my own view, at the end of the day, the quality of some courses taught at universities is truly garbage just as the quality of online courses differ. To collect all campus taught MA as better than all online MA is rather myopic.

I guess the beauty of working in education is that it is not just, or even mostly, about the pieces of paper that grow dust on the wall, but rather the ability to inspire, excite, and connect with those being taught.

8. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, those doing the hiring for many, if not most, teaching positions don't agree with you: the pieces of paper demonstrate your worth to those who will likely never see you in a classroom. Personal satisfaction, then, might be the goal to aim for.

9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Ignore the hiring committees that really don't know and base their opinions on the paper.

Do a decent job with your thesis, present some papers at a few international conferences (there are at least a 1/2 dozen each year in Thailand and more than 50 in SE Asia each year) and get your networking going.

I have had more opportunities and positions offered at conferences, symposiums and workshops than I ever had applying for jobs the old fashioned way.

Additionally, once you get on the guest speaker circuit rather than just as a presenter, there are some nice perks (flights, expenses and a decent stipend) to be had. Great part-time work in addition to your bread and butter job in your home town.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
    sirchai likes this.
  10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

From that post and yeah why not BF, we can discuss it here. Your decision is a good one. I had a friend here in exactly your boat some 10 years ago ...2 very young saucepans, did an MA in linguistics online, then went back to the UK to do a PhD with family in tow (I believe that is your goal from earlier comments umm somewhere). Yes he now has his PhD and works in a Uni for the last 6 or so years in blighty and it has worked out great for him ....his longer-term goal is to move back here to retire.

What I'm getting at is that this MA will set you up for that long term goal and yes as employment goes in Thailand there wouldn't be any point in it unless you were farther south to grab more cash. Good plan BF and just the ticket ...even at the inter price.

Quack, quack, quack ...my duck agrees also.

My duck.png

sirchai and bahn_farang like this.
  11. stfranalum

thats a lot of work and money for just some feelings.

if its to get a renewal, why not go for a teaching license? that would qualify you (possibly) to get a better job at an intl school, thereby increasing your net gains while still in thailand.

the MA can pay off, just not in thailand. no one give a toss about networking with an MA. as said above...if you do presentations and such, that can lead to networking. but i wouldnt say that an MA opens any doors in thailand at all.

how about doing a delta? you have choices ya know, if you have time and the money to put into an education.

best of luck to you! thailand surely got lucky with a teacher willing to invest in his education at, from their point of view, no cost to them.

sirchai likes this.
  12. stfranalum

networking and getting a good shake in LOS....handsum maan with good smile and sa-low engrit > degree holder who makes Ss work & not a handsum maan.

so given that, just study up on your own. if you plan on staying in thailand long term, that $20k you will spend would be better off in the stock market.

chok dee n'at.

13. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Congrats BF !! It's never too late.

14. bahn_farang

Life would certainly be dull if everybody thought the same, thanks for the thoughts.

The delta is certainly on the list, and you raise an important consideration, I have the internationally immobile Thailand teacher's license, what options are there for a British teacher to get fully qualified out of home country? I will do some research but you have sparked a thought, thank you. A question, perhaps others have found an answer to:

Can a Brit get a teacher's license in any country other than Britain and Thailand?

In regards for networking, I have had the tremendous opportunity to meet and learn with some really sharp minds thanks to the PGCEi. Not really saying that the network is groomed to provide future career opportunities, rather that it enables me to learn of and from others' points of view, challenge my own beliefs and keep the old brain ticking over, coincidentally, pretty much the same reason why I enjoy Stamp's site so much.

So, the only doors which I fully push to open are those of:

Development of my practise. Hell, I'm a teacher. If I did it just for the money, I wouldn't be a teacher. If the hard work enables students to learn more then I'm happy with that. I have found that my own daughters have benefitted from my development as I can more understand their development, cognitive processes and a whole bunch of other things.

Networking: No mind is an island. The benefits of collaborative development, I suggest, are beyond those of learning alone.

Right now, the door of incremental salary holds no importance for me, so I will not seek to push it. But the 'right now' does imply that there may be a time when an urge to push the door grows. I would rather have qualifications which add the possibility of successful passage through said doorway than not.

You are spot on when you speak of the preference for youth over experience in Thailand!

Thank you, sternalum for your thought inspiring posts. Cheers.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2016
  15. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

Development of my practise. Hell, I'm a teacher. If I did it just for the money, I wouldn't be a teacher. If the hard work enables students to learn more then I'm happy with that.

bahn_farang likes this.