1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Teacher Working for School VISA options

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Teacher Jeremy, 15 Jan 2017.

1. Teacher Jeremy

Teacher Jeremy Thread Starter New Member

I am working as a manager at a school and soon I will no longer be eligible for a teacher's license (I'm already on my third waiver).

The logical solution would be to get a new work permit and visa as a manager "Educational Personnel" so that I no longer require a teacher's license.

A backup plan would be to take a DET online course and hope the Education office recognizes this as sufficient (along with a BA) to get a permanent teacher's license.

Has anyone had any success with either of these options?

2. IntEdSource

IntEdSource Member

I shifted from teaching to administration to business management over the course of the last eight years. I still maintain my teaching license simply because I want to have a current one if I decide to take on any courses, but my paperwork has me registered as educational personnel. Assuming your school processes this correctly, it should not be an issue.

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It's not the school that might cause problems. The department of labor and the Immigration seem to have changed their regulations to make it more difficult to be a trainer, curriculum developer, etc...

DET online courses do not seem to satisfy the TCT.

You could go for a Diploma in Teacher education offered by a university from the Philippines. It's doable in 10 months with a couple of face to face sessions in Bangkok, Pattaya, or Chiang Mai on a Saturday or a Sunday.

They let you choose your preferable day.

You can pay in monthly installments of 5 K and only the letter from the institution that you've signed up for the course should be enough to get you another waiver as a teacher.

In total, it's 55,500 baht, as far as I know an additional fee of 5 k when you graduate.

Please see; Enrollment - St. Robert's Group of Companies

P.S. All Educational offices do have one employee who works directly for the TCT. If they give their okay, you might be lucky.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Frankly, why would you not do a PGCEi or even a BA in education? As a manager in a school the knowledge you gained would not only serve your aim in obtaining a licence, but would also potentially arm you to work more effectively in the school environment

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

First of all, welcome to Thailand Teaching Asia.

Since 2014, Immigration offers through Immigration Order 327/2557 and 138/2557 extensions of stay based on being employed as educational personnel. The Reason of Necessity is 2.7.1. For a colleague of mine this extension have been used despite our school being a government school. The requirements set by the TCT don't apply to educational personnel.

IntEdSource likes this.
  6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I agree a PGCEi or Masters would be better for your professional development but they are significantly more expensive. The PGCEi is £3000 GBP which is now 130k because the pound is so weak. If getting a visa and work permit is your main goal, then the IFUAGO/St Roberts course is much cheaper and quite easy in terms of the time you have to commit to it. Just paying 5k and enrolling on the St Roberts course is enough for another 2 year waiver and then a 5 year licence once you graduate.

I know a number of people who are on trainer/resource person/consultant contracts and have been for a few years. I personally wouldn’t want to rely on that on a long term basis.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I do agree with you as it's a loophole for teachers who can't get a provisional teaching permit.

8. Hey_ewe

To be honest Teacher Jeremy is the only person I’ve heard of who is actually performing that role.

I was recently given my 4th waiver by Khrusapa on the basis that I’ve finished my course but just waiting for certificates etc. They checked my paperwork, gave me forms for the full licence and told me to apply as soon as my documents come through. They gave me the impression that it would be a straight forward process. The new forms had some guidance for applicants, which was actually very clear and helpful. I’ll scan and upload it when I get the chance.

9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

loopholes as we all know close. Don't jump through the hoop stay ahead of it is my advice for what it's worth

10. IntEdSource

IntEdSource Member

To clarify, this is not a loophole for teachers who are unable to acquire the certification necessary for a teaching license. Educational personnel are processed differently than teachers, and the requirements for licensure do not apply to them. (Exactly as Stamp said, "The requirements set by the TCT don't apply to educational personnel.") We have many foreign staff members at our school (in non-teaching roles) who are classified in this way (in development, operations, etc.). The only limitation is that only a certain percentage of the employees designated as educational personnel can be foreigners.

Again, though I have a valid teaching license, my visa and work permit classify me as educational personnel based on my current role. The license is not needed for that role. I know many people at other international schools who have similar roles and no background whatsoever in education. That being said, I do agree with bahn_farang in seconding that you look for options for a degree or post-graduate diploma in this area, as it would help a great deal in a school regardless of the duties you have.

11. Hey_ewe

Yes, absolutely, it is there for genuine educational personnel, however it is being used as a loophole in the majority of cases. We all know what kind of knee jerk reactions the various parts of ‘the system’ are prone to.

If that is the job you’re already doing, then why not go down the educational personnel route, providing your employer is willing and able to arrange the paperwork. I believe it requires some additional paperwork from the area education office.

If you were already considering further study, then there are now a few post graduate options available. Obviously a PGCEi or MA from a westen uni is going to be of more use outside Thailand. Any one of them should give you a 4th waiver. It seems to me from my recent visit to khrusapa, that they are fully up to speed with the IFUAGO DipEd. We’ve had years of shifting sands so in my opinion now is a good opportunity to get a teacher’s licence.