1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No alcohol and .....................no smoking

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Stamp, 29 Sep 2013.

1. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Is the 5 grand saved enough to survive the 6 days extra you're gonna live..? :hilarious:

2. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Good for you - smoking has killed two of my family members and assuredly will kill my sister. One aunt has lung damage.

Here is some idocy, my younger brother is a smoker and the middle brother went back to smoking after "quitting" - he never really was a smoker. He's 45! Other brother 35. Yeah, my brothers ate both dumbasses.

I smoked when I was young, quit at 30 and did a stop start thing for years. Quit for a year, smoke a few months...As yrs passed, smoking less as well as better quality self rolled cigarettes (VA Gold) . Completely gave it up four yrs ago (prior, it was a few a day).

Last two decades I could only say I smoked, I was not really 'a smoker".

Usually trips to India would start me smoking again, too much time on ones hands.

I still love a decent cigar, have a few boxes stashed for our trips to islands. Cant smoke in the flat.

I could only give up alcohol if I had to. I've chosen to reel in my drinking instead. I'm now married, so no pubs and gogos for me.

Good luck Stamp and if you fail - so what, it's one smoke or one night drunk. Don't beat yourself, just start all over the next day like it never happened.

You will start to feel better, noticeably better if you are not feeling better already :thumbsup2:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW if you need a smoke. Eat something and do something. If you just can't shake it and buy a pack, smoke one and toss the pack in the bin. You will be disgusted over the ta5te and feeling and money wasted.

Stay away from anything and anywhere that makes you want to smoke (for at least a year).

+5

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. I will tell you the best method for stopping smoking. I learned this from a guy who was a total loser. He had absolutely nothing going for him at all, nothing. He did though stop smoking where I had not (not really tried until that point honestly though). But this gave me real food for thought and daily motivation.

He asked me this: Which is stronger, you or the cigarettes? <---This small question was hugely powerful and meaningful to me because this shiftless, odd-jobs, somewhat lazy HS dropout QUIT. HE WAS stronger. If I cannot quit then he had better self control than I did - and given his life choices, that was not an option.

In a moment of weakness (seriously), ask yourself - which is stronger, your self or the cigarettes. Fight the urge, move on.

Many people HAVE quit, there is no reason why you cannot be one of those people!

Stamp likes this.
  3. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Hi Stamp -

Other day, just thought of another motivation that helped me quit for good.

When I was really Jonesin' for a smoke I would tell myself....

You don't REALLY want a smoke, you just THINK you want a smoke.

I'd tell myself that about ten times or until the feeling past.

Again, don't worry about having a cigarette, it will taste horrible and make you feel awful - bring back all the reasons you quit. Toss the pack in the bin and move on.

Another trick is to put your cigarette money aside and then buy or do something with THAT money. Then, thank yourself - this is courtesy of me not smoking. Thanks me :happy1:

Stamp likes this.
  4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Hi Stamp when I quit over eight years ago, a 40 a day smoker, I wanted to smoke everyday for the first year! I had to really battle this at times. I found it very helpful to say to myself: it is the first one that does the damage and if I don't have the first one I can't have the second one, so the first one is the one to avoid..... and in a life time of trying to quit I had always found myself saying "I'll only have one"......... And then one morning I woke up and the obsession appeared to have left me.........so far so good. Good luck:)

5. steveolevi

steveolevi Well-Known Member

"One puff away from two packs a day". After we start smoking again we quickly reach our old levels, and the next quit is much more difficult. It is the nicotine that hooks us and sets up the cravings for the next fix.

6. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387612232.536577.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387612232.536577.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  7. Meanjin

Meanjin Active Member

Well done, Stamp. :thumbsup2:

When you're no longer counting and don't even think about smoking, then you'll know you've got it beat. :righton:

8. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member