1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New requirement to notarise your degree at your embassy

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by magnumforce, 1 Oct 2015.

1. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this, ttompatz.

I think we can conclude that foreign teachers should be prepared that degree authentication might be required by Immigration. Therefore it's advisable to contact your local Immigration Office in regards to the possible requirement or submit the extension of stay application between 15 to 30 days before expiration.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  2. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

List of Documents IMMIGRATION.jpg
    Attached herein please find the list of documents that ALL Immigration Offices Nationwide would accept for foreign teachers applying for extension of stay. (This list was provided by an Inspector of an Immigration Office to me just last week.)

It is solely upon the Immigration Officer's discretion to request for any additional document(s) that is/are not listed herein this list.

Stamp and DigitalGypsy like this.
  3. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Just back from completing my medical for visa / work permit purposes, and as effing usual there had to be an issue:

To cut a long story short, two teachers from the exact same school, working for the exact same agency, go to the exact same hospital (Bangkok Hospital, which I expected more professionalism from to be honest), with the exact same medical form to complete. Teacher A went yesterday, and Teacher B (that's me) went today.

Now for the results, Teacher A was charged 520 baht, while teacher B was charged 885 baht... I queried the difference in cost and outlined the parallels between both of us, indicating that logic dictates they should be the same totals. I was told that they chose to run an 'extra' test on me.....:duh

Call me unreasonable but this inconsistency completely boils my blood. At very least, they could ask. This is a standard medical checkup for teachers (and I'm sure they are used to doing them by now), is it too much to ask for a poster on the wall indicating the steps and price, so a standard is observed?

Honestly Thailand, sometimes I don't know why I bother my a** with you....

(rant over, cheers)

DG

Hey_ewe likes this.
  4. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Any chance of a translation mate? :smile

5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes, I sometimes think that figures are randomly plucked from the air.

Next time I would go to a small clinic, PM me if you want details of one on Yamo that will cost 100 baht tops. A few weeks ago I paid 20 baht for my medical certificate. It's only for the purposes of ticking a box, so theres no need to go to Bangkok Hospital, it's notoriously expensive. They are great for normal patient care but the whole hospital is set up to rinse as much money out of your insurance policy as possible, so if you go in there paying out of your own pocket you'll soon regret it.

6. Stamp

It's the usual stuff as posted in other threads but on this form point 8 is new.

Point 8: หลักฐานการศึกษา = làk tăan gaan sèuk-săa = proof of education

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Right...but...

From the Embassy's website: "U.S. Consular Officers overseas are not empowered to authenticate public documents that were issued in the United States because they do not have access to the records of the issuing offices or the seals of the custodians of these records. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials. We can notarize a sworn affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for U.S. Embassy “certification.” Please confirm with the end recipient in advance."

In other words, it might work. I have a feeling it will work. Such a big, pretty stamp amongst all that English gibberish!

In other news, the point is to have a few official transcripts in sealed envelopes ready to hand. I'll talk to my college to see if notarization is also possible.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2017
    Stamp likes this.
  8. Stamp

Two of my USA colleagues did them for their conversion of their tourist visas into a non-immigrant B and were accepted my Immigration Hua Hin.

DavidUSA likes this.
  9. Stamp

Three colleagues extended their extensions of stay today. Two are from the Philippines and one from Cameroon. No degree verifications were required. Immigration Office in Thayang, Phetchaburi (new office).

DavidUSA likes this.
  10. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes, this has got to be by far the easiest and cheapest option for immigration and its worth remembering that you won't get your original documents back from khrusapa.

DavidUSA likes this.
  11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

We could sum up this whole thread based on these words of wisdom. Thank you DavidUSA

Get what is needed/rumoured to what is needed now then all the problems of uncertainty go away. Yes the wasted expense if it is not needed but preparation is the greatest protection against disappointment.

Alternatively continue to be uncertain of the outcome

Hey_ewe and DavidUSA like this.
  12. natewill

natewill Active Member

1. letter from area education office
    2 letter from school
    3. passport
    4. work permit
    5. degree translated to Thai
    6. transcripts, previous teaching experience
    7. proof of tax
    8. contract (with school)
    9. professional teaching certificate (khurusapa letter, etc)
    10. information about school
    11. 2 inch picture
    12. 1,900 baht

DigitalGypsy and Stamp like this.
  13. natewill

natewill Active Member

8 is contract with school.
    7 isnt proof of education, its proof of tax (lak taan gaan seeya pa si) (presumably taxes paid or something to that effect)

Stamp likes this.
  14. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If your degree is written in English (only) it does NOT need to be translated to Thai.
    If there is another language (Latin, Filipino, etc) then it does need a Thai translation.

15. Stamp

You're completely right. Read too fast over it. Many thanks.

My sincere apologies for the misinformation.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2017