1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Era Questions

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by bahn_farang, 20 Feb 2015.

1. SteveR

SteveR New Member

Ok, done. Thanks again BF.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

you're welcome

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So, He doesn't know or what he does know is that it is 'unsure' if it indeed covers the areas stipulated b the TCT as 'educational credits' .... the third option neither postive or negative. (Yes CHED as we know ..but even being recognised 'in another country' doesn't implictly mean that this course covers what is required by the Thai body being Khuruspaha ... just thought I'd add this before the Ched defenders believe that it is a 'be all and end all' ..it is not.)

Bingo ! But even their website promoting this course was changed last year (half way thro' old discussion here on TT) to 'Yes, you will get your full TL' ... dunno whether that claim is still being forwarded ..canny be bothered to look if it still is..

Again, and my other Q wasn't forwarded (and that's ok too): Not professional, not clear, and not timely in contacting back. Up to others at 100K but not for me.

4. bahn_farang

I am in no way defending the New Era course. I will say that the structure of the credits does satisfy the TCT requirements, 24 credits as stipulated. This was in discussions with the powers that be. But the proof will be when the first takers of the course are approved or otherwise.

As for the poor communication I have no answers:confused: Perhaps worth another try??

5. SteveR

SteveR New Member

Ok, quick reply, went to Khurusapa CM this morning, Showed the woman the info from the website and asked if this was sufficient for my third waiver, and yes, it is. Need to get everything in order before this Friday when she goes to BKK to hand over my paperwork. But again, it will grant you your third waiver and if it's enough for a teaching license, we'll see how that goes after 1 year. For now, I'm just very happy that it worked out with Khurusapa.
    Thanks every one for all the useful info. :wai3::wai3::wai3:

6. bahn_farang

Fantastic news mate and thank you for reporting back. Good luck with doing the course. Many will await your updates on the course

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Great news. Thanks for reporting back.

8. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Possibly but :
    CPT-details.jpg

Now on the Unitelf website there is no mention of 24 credits .... okay 8 components here and you 'may' say (assume) 3 credits each, but are the ESL packs even a credit? Please enlighten where this is 'stipulated' as I cannot find any information on their website nor when asked by E-mail was ignored.

Also, maybe Stamp or some other knowledgable person can look at the above table from Unitefl and decide if what is offered indeed covers what Khuruspaha stipulate as their 9 (or is it 11) areas to be covered. (As Unitefl can't or won't furnish a reply to this)

Also could look at this site, about the same course I presume and equalling 18 credits (or am I missing something here?) CPT | Vantage Education Management (Of the above Untefl, there is one 3 credit course from each of the SIX clusters, and no ESL packs mentioned)

Sorry BF, and thanks for all your effort on this thread, but I still can't see how this is cut and dry between TCT and CPT. Cheers GBG.

CPT-details.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  9. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Also, I wasn't really asking a question. I was correcting the website misquote. They state: Tuition is conducted online. I think they meant to say: Courses are conducted online. There is an element of sloppiness and unprofessionalism to this endeavor.

10. bahn_farang

To be fair I think I have made it more than obvious that it is not cut and dry

- - - Updated - - -

I will email the guy. If I get a reply I will post here. If I am ignored then I will likewise report back.

11. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

It is UniTEFL's fault if they claim, both on their website & during the interview, that the course is accepted by the TCT for the licence but then state, during the interview, that they're not sure (twice).

The question was asked directly, or should have been interpreted as so, by you in the interview. It's not up to me (or you for that matter) to run around trying to get answers to simple questions. The 'Guy' has posted on here before & since this forum is the only game in town, he should post here to clarify IMO; begs the question as to why he stopped directly posting here...

If you're talking about the degree verification, then yes. That's a result of all the fake degrees floating around but as usual it's turned into a complete abortion. Teachers with fake degrees are getting waivers / licences because it's not being implemented in their province, while teachers in Bangkok with bona fide degrees are having to go back home because their universities won't issue a verification letter directly to the TCT.

I cant think what other 'rules' you think are a direct consequence of foreign teachers' actions or inactions...

Sometimes I worry about you. Did you bang your head on the way back from picking up your licence? What is to blame for this TCT apologist streak? :confused:

12. bahn_farang

Very fair response ruined by the closing. Have a look around at some of the threads before pointing fingers.

I have and will always have a balanced view of the TCT. It is Thai in Thailand and as such we can not expect certainty, at least a certainty which is consistent with our expectations based on our own cultural upbringing. What I'm trying to say is that Thailand does operate differently.

Is it because the TCT doesn't know what it's doing? I really doubt it. More likely it is operating where nobody wants to lose face or go over the head of the boss. This is not a problem specific to the TCT.

Is this maddening? hell yes. Is it going to get any better by constantly venting about how f":ked they are? hell no. I try to understand that it is the bigger picture which is different to what I have been brought up in, not the TCT itself. So please don't worry about me but thanks for your concern. I'm touched, truly, but I'm fine.

No I wasn't. I was referring to people who are aware of the rules but do nothing to meet them and then complain about the rules.
    Absolutely.

For what its worth I agree. He should clarify the message. It is a business he runs and he is doing it for profit so he is always tempted to over-market the product . This is something he needs to do now since it would appear at best an over reach at worst it could be seen as false advertising. (This comment is based on the conversation I had with him on Sunday - he said wait six months)

The problem being that the TCT is a shifting sands organization. What is all sorted one day is up in the air the next. So the "guaranteed" or words similar should be removed from the site.

Thank you GanDoonToonPet for the constructive aspects of your post :wai3:

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

14. bahn_farang

Emailed Andrew Bond and received a prompt reply. Message was inline with what he said on Sunday. He suggested that if the assurances of UniTefl were not sufficient that the teacher ask directly to the TCT.

Guess it's a 6 month wait till we hear the success or otherwise.

15. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Seems to me the situation's just the same as the ********* (sp?) College confusion.
    Boycott I say. And spread the word. They're just trying to cash in.
    Wait for the junta to open a course :hilarious: